[Solved] Video of Flashlight Bug in Doom 3 (dhewm3)

While playing Doom 3, I noticed during a certain part of the game, my flashlight would flicker or not work at all. I made a post about it on the dhewm3 GitHub, thinking it was just a engine bug, but they aren’t experiencing the issue. All the details about the bug are in the GitHub thread.

https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/issues/159

Here is the video thats in the GitHub issue page.

If you suspect that this is a NVIDIA driver bug, you’ll have to explain why, and provide more information.
Does this look like a regression, that is, do older releases of the NVIDIA driver not have the problem? If so, and if 378.xx is where the regression appeared, try setting __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 to see if it helps.

Try compiling dhewm3 with this option:

-DZFAIL=1

I have, in the past, seen badly-rendered shadows in dhewm3, without that option.

Edit: Ah, this option is added by dhewm3-carmack.patch

In my GitHub issue page I linked to, it mentions others who tried it and couldn’t reproduce the issue. They were using older drivers. I did try changing all my options, including “GL threaded optimizations”, and the flashlight was still bugged.

I will try out that compile option and see if it changes anything.

We found out what it was. It was some shadow cvars I changed that corrupted the save file. Sorry for the inconvenience.