Jetson Tx1 development kit display

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a Tx1 kit. It seems it does not include and display screen. May be display is sold as an accessory. Could someone please point to where to buy Tx1 compatible display from ? When I purchased Tx1 kit - it did not give any option of ‘accessories’ - so I though that display is included in the kit. My application needs the kit to be outdoors , and I need an display to act as ‘viewfinder’ for cameras.

Thanks.

The development carrier board has an HDMI connector. Basically most HDMI monitors can do this (preferably one that handles 1920x1080).

Hi Linuxdev/Nvidia folks,
Thanks for your response. I need LCD - because, as per needs to my use case, I need to take my board outdoors and use it with cameras mounted. We are creating an outdoor application using computer vision. We are looking to port out algorithms on Tx1, but the starting point is camera. We need to orient camera, to get the right view. I plan to implement a viewfinder so that we can view camera on LCD/display.
I do understand that Tx1 can interface to 1080p HDMI monitor, but in order for us to orient camera we need LCD/or other display to glue on Tx1 board. Without that we cannot begin.
Please help.
Thanks,

There are LCD displays with HDMI connectors. I am guessing you are saying LCD but meaning “small”. Some people take smaller displays and use adapters of one sort or another to add HDMI or DSI (HDMI is easier). I couldn’t name a particular small display, but I’d guess if you can use 7 inch and something in that range should be something available. Beware that if you add your own HDMI adapter that you need to program the EDID or the system won’t be able to automatically configure for your display (EDID is the part the display responds with when queried as to its capabilities).

Note that some displays work with resolutions which are not native by clipping a slight amount on one side. 720p would be a nice compromise over 1080p and should be possible in the 7 inch size range. I mentioned the 1080p earlier because no matter what automatic configuration does 1080p will always be available from the video output side.

Thanks. I searched HDMI-LCDs and found few here.
https://www.chalk-elec.com/?page_id=1280#!/~/category/id=3094861&inview=product14647633&offset=0&sort=priceAsc

Any pointers about EDID ? How to program EDID in order to get one of aforementioned HDMI LCD to work with Tx1 ?

Thanks,

EDID is a standardized format of data to describe a monitor when the video card queries the monitor. This information is used to automatically fill in framebuffer settings in console mode, as well as “/etc/X11/xorg.conf” for graphical mode (the query itself uses i2c protocol). You would need the specifications of your monitor and convert that to the bytes to program in to the EDID. You may see reference to DDC, this is the wire used for sending EDID data…EDID is an evolution of what was originally only DDC and DDC could be considered a subset of EDID.

I have no knowledge of any particular monitor, they all vary. You might start with the definition of EDID from here (there are other URLs listed as a reference):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

If you want an example of EDID data you can see what the Jetson thinks of a working HDMI monitor with:

sudo cat `find /sys -name edid`

You can get a verification of what that EDID data translates as by copy and paste into here:
http://www.edidreader.com

Note that when EDID fails you can still manually add modelines and other configuration data into places like xorg.conf, but you would still have a learning curve to understand modelines and how to manually add them to xorg.conf. In the case of monitors supporting certain default “always available to video card” resolutions and timings, then you could just force your video into that mode and not rely on manual or automatic configuration data (the video card could not verify this as a correct mode, but it would work anyway if the monitor supports that mode).

I do not know if the EDID adapters from your URL provide correct EDID data when paired to a particular monitor sold together.

We use this 7" LCD [url]https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1280x800-Screen-Camera-Monitor/dp/B01E72T11K[/url] with the TX-1 for exactly the same purpose. It is small and battery powered so just needs the HDMI cable to the Jetson. Nothing to program and inexpensive.

Thanks linuxdev and sperok for your help.

Linuxdev, before I go to your points, sperok’s suggestion seems easier. So sperok, all you did is buy this LCD and connect HDMI cable from jetson to this and you were able to see Ubuntu screen on it. Is that right ? I will try to stretch my luck and ask - what was the app that you used for viewfinder ? was it your own or is there something I can use as reference ?

Thanks,

Hi sperok,

I was reading your response on other thread regarding battery pack for Tx1 board.

“This solution is a little expensive, but it demos very well if appearances matter. I use a RAVPOWER RP-PB14 23000mAh USB brick that has 9/12/16/19V output at up to 4.5A. It comes with the correct connectors to hook up directly to the TX-1 and will operate it all day long. The brick is just a bit smaller than the TX-1 dev board and looks very sleek. On Amazon for $99. Really nice because it can run most laptops and some displays in a pinch. When doing a demo in front of a VC it is very cool to walk in with everything running and have zero setup time”

Could you please tell whether this battery pack comes with cables to connect to Tx1 power inlet ?

Thanks,

The battery pack comes with a cable and a full set of interchangeable tips for use with different devices. It is a direct plug in with the TX-1 dev kit. Make sure to buy at least two so you never need to wait for the batteries to charge.

The LCD is also a direct plug in, just supply your own HDMI cable rated for HDMI 1.4 or higher. The Ubuntu UI comes up resolution is OK for a viewfinder app. We have a custom app now, but for several months just used nvgstcapture which is included with the TX-1 dev kit.

We found that running the standard Ubuntu rootfs used a significant amount of memory and flash space so have spent some effort to build a custom kernel, rootfs, web ui and other components. We would be open to commercial discussion for leveraging these components, please PM me to explore further.

Thank you very much, sperok, for the great help/pointers. Dont know how to reach you. Email please ?

Thanks,