Cannot display geometry with deinterleaved vertex buffers?

Hello I am a big fan of Nsight. Some time ago I’ve rewritten a graphics engine to use deinterleaved vertex buffers, so that positions, normals, texcoords, etc. are in their own buffers but multiple ones are bound with IASetVertexBuffers in DX11. My problem is, that Nsight graphics debugger’s Geometry window inside Visual Studio stopped displaying my meshes.
There are no error messages just an empty viewport window. There are some floating point specials though in my vertex data but that was never a problem for me.

Hi,

I’m sorry for the problem you met, please provide more information for investigating the problem:

• Nsight version
  • GPU, OS, driver info
  • did the Geometry window display the meshes before?
  • Can we have your sample to do some local repro, then we can identify the crash quickly?

Thanks,
Letitia

Nsight version: 5.2.0.16321
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Driver: 381.65

The geometry window displayed meshes before.

My project is on GitHub: GitHub - turanszkij/WickedEngine: 3D engine with modern graphics
Usage is simple:
1.) Click on LoadModel button in the top right corner
2.) Browse to WickedEngine/models/Sample/scene.wimf and open the file
3.) Capture using Nsight graphics debugger

Thanks for getting back to me!

Hi,

I checked the sample locally,there’re some issues of memory data shown in the geometry view:

• some data are nan which cannot be displayed.
  • in a draw call, the primitive polygon is triangle, but the memory data is shown as the picture, the data cannot compose a triangle.
    [url]http://imgur.com/a/6F364[/url]

Can you please tell me in which draw calls the geometry view showed nothing but it was displayed before? then we can identify the crash quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

Thank you for checking this issue so fast.

I could see every mesh rendered in the geometry window which I rendered from input assembler data previously, but now nothing shows up. The strange thing about the nans in the VB is that in the application side I don’t see strange data at all in the vertex arrays. And rendering without the debugger is also correct. I assumed the floating point specials are detected because of a bug in Nsight and overlooked it so far.

I’ve just checked with Visual Studio graphics debugger and my mesh data definetly doesn’t contain so much faulty data that Nsight tells me.

Hi,

An internal bug is created for the problem, we’ll do more research.

Regards,
Letitia

Hi, any news on this? It still doesn’t work for me in Nsight 5.5. The data appears to be correct when inspecting the buffer contents in the resource viewer window, however the geometry window shows nans and completely messed up data. The geometry window also doesn’t display the mesh at all.
I have a sample app which can reproduce the issue: WickedEngineLDSSkinningTest
The issue is visible in the very first draw call.

Kind Regards,
Janos

Hi turanszkij,

I’m sorry the bug is still unresolved.
I’ll tell you if there’re some update.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi turanszkij,

I believe Nsight should fixed this bug and will be available in the coming release. I just check your issue with internal latest Nsight, the Geometry view’s graphical and memory tab looks as expected, I can see the points and tex coord from different vertex buffers and the model looks good.

Thanks
An

Thank you, that’s good to hear. I will check this when the new release is available. :)

Hi, using the latest Nsight 1.1, I can confirm that this problem is fixed.

Kind Regards,
Janos