Issues with CUDA installation

Hello,

I recently buyed an Inno 1080Ti for CUDA purposed.

On a windows 7 64bits, i have done a first installed with the latest graphics and CUDA drivers and it worked well, i was able to run the example.

The things is that the code i want to use have been compiled with CUDA 5.5 and wasn’t working with 8.0.
So i uninstalled the 8.0 driver to install the 5.5.
This installation failed because it didn’t recognized my hardware and i didn’t had Visual Studio on the computer.

Now the big trouble i have is that i’m unable to install the 8.0 driver back. The driver doesn’t recognized the graphic card. I have tried uninstalling everything, the graphics drivers, the CUDA drivers, unplugging the card, it still doesn’t work. If i go through the installation deviceQuery.exe doesn’t find the card.

So i’m at a big loss here. The installation did work once but i’m now unable to install CUDA 8.0 anymore.

Ideally i would like to install the 5.5 driver for the 1080Ti on windows 7 64bits. Is it possible to do so? If yes how i should be doing it? Is the free version of VS (community) enough?

If it’s not i’m still unable to install the 8.0 driver back. And recompile the dll with CUDA 8.0 which i’m not sure is possible.

Thanks,
Rémy

go to:

use the wizard there to find the correct driver for your 1080Ti

install it.

Then go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/getcuda

Find the correct CUDA 8 installer for your particular OS.

Run that installer. The installer may say “the installer cannot find commpatible hardware” or similar. That is OK. Press continue and deselect the option to install the driver that comes with the installer. The driver you installed above will work with CUDA 8.

I don’t recommend trying to run CUDA 5.5 with a 1080Ti. If you insist, then install the driver for your 1080Ti as I indicate in the first step above. The google “CUDA legacy toolkit” and go to the legacy toolkit page to find the desired CUDA installer. Run that installer, but deselect the option to install the driver. If you have trouble with this, I probably wouldn’t be able to help.

txbob,

thank you for your help it worked for CUDA 8.0.

I still want to give a try at CUDA 5.5 to avoid having to recompile the dll i need.

Do i have to uninstall CUDA 8.0 or i can install both CUDA version at the same time?

Best,
Rémy

Information for newbees (and I am a newbee):

Re: Run that installer. The installer may say “the installer cannot find commpatible hardware” or similar. That is OK. Press continue and deselect the option to install the driver that comes with the installer. The driver you installed above will work with CUDA 8.

I struggled with this for best part of 2 hours before accidentally figuring this out.