Arduino IDE can not start.

and try.
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ arduino
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at processing.app.Preferences.save(Preferences.java:735)
at processing.app.Preferences.init(Preferences.java:249)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:117)
Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getMenuShortcutKeyMask(HeadlessToolkit.java:236)
at processing.core.PApplet.(Unknown Source)
… 3 more

and reinstall java8 still error.
Please advise me.
Apichat

I have no knowledge of arduino. It does seem though from “HeadlessException” that you are accessing the Jetson remotely. Are you using ssh? If so, did you ssh in with “-Y” or set up some sort of configuration for where to display or what display to associate with?

@linuxdev

Thank for your response.I found http://blog.opensensors.io/blog/2014/09/13/getting-started-with-arduino-on-linux/ i will try and let you know.

Apichat

Have You solvedr? My ide still doesnt start… grrrrrrr

Start your IDE from the command line, then list what the error says. Also, mention if this is a local login directly on the Jetson, or if ssh is used.

If you SSH to the Jetson, you should use “ssh -X”
Also, make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is set to “:10”

mycomputer$ ssh -X nvidia@jetson
jetson$ export DISPLAY=:10
jetson$ ./arduino-1.8.4/arduino

This works for me.
Note: If it doesn’t start, and gives some error messages, it may be that you’re missing some system libraries that are needed (GTK related, for example.)
Those can be installed using sudo apt install.

I’m connected direct, not via ssh

this is what I get:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/opt/arduino-1.8.5$ ./arduino
./arduino: line 35: /opt/arduino-1.8.5/java/bin/java: No such file or directory

should I need to set any path? how?

Thank you
gio

I am guessing JAVA_HOME (or something similar) needs to name the path to the java app. I do not know what that requirement is for your software, but typically it goes something like this:

export JAVA_HOME=/where/ever/it/is
# verify:
echo $JAVA_HOME

Do you have “/opt/arduino-1.8.5/”? If so, then perhaps a symbolic link from your java bin directory to there would also work.

…mmmhhhmm

something still wrong

I had this:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/$ # verify
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle

So I write:
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/$ export JAVA_HOME=/opt/arduino-1.8.5/
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/$ # verify
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/opt/arduino-1.8.5/

but I’m still so:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/opt/arduino-1.8.5$ ./arduino

Where am I wrong?

Read the error message.

Does the file actually exist? That should have been the first thing you checked and told us about.

Use the “file” command to figure out whether the problem is that the file doesn’t exist, that it has the wrong format, or that it fails to start because of some missing dependency:

file /opt/arduino-1.8.5/java/bin/java

What does that say?

ok, but the dirs are not empty… pheraps something about 32bit ? ARM ?

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:/opt/arduino-1.8.5$ file /opt/arduino-1.8.5/java/bin/java
/opt/arduino-1.8.5/java/bin/java: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=120db07177774249eac5925cd51bc42cf3033ccd, not stripped

This means that the “file” that’s not found is some kind of dependency.

You need to make sure that the 32-bit userspace is enabled and installed on the Jetson.

If that’s already done, then you need to also figure out which shared library is missing, and which package provides that shared library, and install it.

How to do that is covered in a number of tutorials on the web, and is not Jetson specific at all – it’s all general Linux system administration stuff.

Hopefully you should have enough key words to Google for now to get it going. Once it does work, please come back and post what you did to make it work, so that others who find this thread can learn, too!

Since that java executable is for ARMv7 (armhf, 32-bit), not ARMv8-a (aarch64/arm64, 64-bit), you’d have to install a 32-bit linker (a “foreign architecture”…native is arm64) and every single library it wants…and every library every library wants…recursively. Maybe 32-bit is a requirement of the software you are trying to run (I’ve never touched arduino), but I’d have to wonder if there is a native 64-bit version. Where did you get “/opt/arduino-1.8.5/java/bin/java”? Was this part of the arduino?

I’m just thinking that if a native java is available it might be simpler than putting in a 32-bit java. It’s quite likely that if parts of the system are looking for 64-bit it won’t see anything which is 32-bit. I’m curious as to what the requirements are.

I’m going to recover the system, reflashing from another machine…

Recovering the system will not solve the problem.

The ARM version of the Arduino IDE is only available for ARM7 (32-bit)
Thus, you have to install the 32-bit user-space support, and each of the 32-bit libraries it needs.
I’ve done it, it works, I run Arduino (with the Teensyduino addition, even) on my Jetson TX2.

Snarky please can you tell me some more details?

OK OK OK
It works, without any recovery, purged java and openjdk, restarting from SYNAPTIC and choosing openjdk8

Now I’m in the IDE, in trouble with the communication: “programmer is not responding”

dev/ttyS0
is the only port in the SERIAL PORT menu

with lsusb I get

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc. hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2341:0043 Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:0750 Microsoft Corp. Wired Keyboard 600
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

any idea?
thanks a lot

gio

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2341:0043 Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)

Do you have the CDC ACM module installed?

don’t know… how can I discover ?

If in module format, then “lsmod”. For all features (listed in terms of kernel compile time settings):

gunzip < /proc/config.gz

Probably you would be looking for “CONFIG_USB_ACM”, e.g.:

gunzip < /proc/config.gz | grep 'CONFIG_USB_ACM'