Apparent refresh rate lower than nvidia-settings using 375.66-11 and GTX1070

Hi,

I am having an issue where the apparent refresh of my display is much lower than what I am setting it to in nvidia-settings. I am setting the refresh rate to 144 Hz (which my monitor is capable of), but the motion is very coarse and the screen is visibly flickery, as if I am looking at a fluorescent light tube. Unscientifically, it looks slower than a regular computer, so less than 60 Hz. These problems strangely do not occur at the login screen, with no flickering and the mouse motions are as smooth as I would expect at 144 Hz.

As mentioned I am using driver 375.66-11 and a single GTX1070, my monitor is an ASUS PG279Q. My distribution is Manjaro Linux using the Budgie desktop environment.

Any ideas about what is going on? I have attached the nvidia-bug-report.sh output.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (110 KB)

Does the problem go away if you uncheck the “Allow G-SYNC” checkbox in the OpenGL page of nvidia-settings? If so, we probably need to add an application profile to disable G-SYNC for the desktop compositor that Budgie uses.

Yes that fixes the problem, thanks! I’ll let the Solus people know about this.

Aha, I see the problem. Budgie is based on libmutter, and we already have a rule to disable G-SYNC for Mutter-based compositors, but the match is for “libmutter.so” and the name of the library changed to “libmutter-0.so”. I’ll relax the check to pick up on this variation.

Hi.

It seems that Budgie is using libmutter-1.so now, and the above problem is still present.
Manually disabling G-Sync fixes Budgie, but unfortunately disables it for games as well.

As a temporary workaround, I have put the following command in Budgie/Raven autostart:
nvidia-settings -a AllowGSYNC=0
This seems to disable it for the desktop session only, and not for games.
(Checkbox even stays on in nvidia-settings)

My Solus 3 system contains these two files:
libmutter-1.so.0
libmutter-1.so.0.0.0