No supported version of Visual Studio was found. Some components of CUDA Toolkit will not work properly. Please install Visual Studio first to get the full functionality

System environment:

My System is Windows 10 64-bit,
And there are Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x64) - 14.023918 and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x86) - 14.023918 pre-installed.

Issue:
When installing CUDA 8.0,
cuda_8.0.61_win10.EXE from CUDA Toolkit 11.7 Update 1 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer
An error message shows,
“No supported version of Visual Studio was found. Some components of CUDA Toolkit will not work properly. Please install Visual Studio first to get the full functionality”

Is there any missing in my setting?

Thanks and regards,
E-John

Simply having the redistributables is not sufficient for a proper install.

Please follow the directions in the windows install guide:

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-microsoft-windows/index.html#abstract

One of the system requirements is:

“A supported version of Microsoft Visual Studio”

The redistributables (alone) do not satisfy that requirement.

Dear txbob,

Understood. Thanks for your great helps.

Regards,
E-John

Well, then your software should not have led me to believe that .Net 4.6 would do the trick. It stated specifically, that .Net 4.6 was required. I installed .Net 4.6 but then later it changed it’s story. It said that there was still a deficiency. So how about making it clear from the outset that the commercial version of Visual Studio is required?

The commercial version of VS is not required. You can use VS community edition.

The requirements are spelled out in the windows install guide.

[url]Installation Guide Windows :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

I have the same problem trying to install cuda 8.0.61
The app developer says his app will only run with the older version of cuda
I have visual studio community 15.6.0 installed yet still get the same message
"“No supported version of Visual Studio was found…”

Trying to follow instructions but I think I am missing something

15.6 isn’t supported by CUDA 8.0 (or 9.0 or 9.1 for that matter)

Look at the CUDA 8.0.61 installation guide.

I have read the documents and have never found anything other than the visual studio must be the community version which I installed. Can you pleas tell me where I need to go to get the correct version and which version that is?

Sorry to be a pest

1. read the document
  2. discover which versions of VS are supported, for the CUDA version you are using
  3. start googling to discover whether these are still available from microsoft, and if so, how to obtain them

VS2015 has toolchain version numbering like 14.x
VS2017 has toolchain version numbering like 15.x

CUDA 8 did not support VS 2017, so toolchain versions like 15.x are not supported
Current versions of CUDA 9 support VS 2017 toolchain versions up through 15.4

Each version of CUDA supports a specific version of VS, make sure the installation guide you are reading is referring to the CUDA version you are using. They all look the same but there are subtle differences. Newer versions of VS aren’t backwards compatible with older versions of CUDA.

I am trying to install CUDA 10.0 for windows 10 (64-bit). Cuda installer says no supported version of Visual Studio was found.
However, I have already installed Visual Studio 2017 Community (v15.9.17). In addition, I have Windows 10 SDK (Version 10.0.15063.0) also installed. Can somebody help me how to get going with Cuda installation?

The CUDA 10 windows install guide is here:

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/archive/10.0/cuda-installation-guide-microsoft-windows/index.html

If you study the table you will see that Visual Studio 2017 Community is not a supported version of VS for CUDA 10.0.

I’m sorry, but clicking your link to the 10.0 documentation, it does say that |Visual C++ 15.x|Visual Studio 2017 (RTW and all updates)| is supported??

Yes, it says exactly that. VS 2017 is supported. The documentation treats VS and VS community as separate entities.

If you take a look at the difference between that and how VS 2015 support is noted, you will note that VS 2015 support is listed differently on 2 lines: VS2015 and VS2015 Community

Anyway, you don’t need to pay attention to anything I say, or even read the documentation. It’s possible that I am in error and also that the documentation is in error.

The installer knows what versions of VS it supports, and will advise which supported versions it finds if any. That is the source of truth here.

No supported version of visual studio was found.

visual studio community 16.10

cuda 11.4

I get the above error message over and over. VS has been there and I’ve been working with it for months now. I don’t know what else you need from me to make this work (maybe you need a bone marrow sample or something) but nothing else does.

1 Like

I don’t see an updated version of this. This seems a common problem and Robert here just keeps pointing people back the documentation which likely they started with.

“Visual Studio” is a very confusing name. I have been using VS Code for months and that’s where the landing page from the documentation goes. Once I got past that I and installed Visual Studio Build Tools that didn’t solve the problem as it didn’t include the Visual Studio Community, so I continued to get the same error.

Up to this point I had been using GitHub login to sign in, but that hit script errors in Visual Studio Community. Was eventually able to bypass.

This appears to have finally bypassed the problem.

I have no idea why Community would be the critical support element, but there we have it.