CUDA 9.0.176 installer fails every time

I have downloaded cuda_9.0.176_windows.exe, to install the CUDA runtime and tools. When I start the installer, I immediately get the message “NVIDIA Installer failed”. I have not tried installing the packages individually, as the instructions for this are unclear.

I previously had 9.0 runtime working on this system, with Visual Studio 2017, and the hardware has not changed.

I have uninstalled all NVidia programs and drivers, deleted all NVidia directories, and removed all NVidia registry entries. Additionally, I checked my Visual Studio versions to be sure there are no NVidia extensions. The installer still gets the same error.

How can I install the 9.0 runtime and tools?

64-bit Windows 7 Pro; Visual Studio 2017 Community; GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Do a clean install of windows 7. Then install VS 2017, then run the cuda installer.

I recognize that may not be palatable, but I can’t suggest any other high-likelihood-of-success options without more information.

When the installer fails, it should leave behind a log. The first step in troubleshooting this is to locate that log and inspect it.

This topic roughly outlines the process:

[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/572372/cuda-5-5-toolkit-install-fails-on-windows-7-possibly-solved-/?offset=11[/url]

If none of that is understandable or those instructions are unclear, then I refer you to my previous suggestion (reinstall windows).

I did the following in a Command Window run as administrator:

C:\Users\Superman\AppData\Local\Temp\CUDA>setup.exe -log:"C:\Users\Superman\CUDA2" -loglevel:6

I have the log files (44 KB compressed). How do I get them to you?

Here is what looks suspicious in the log:

11.721 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVOsConstraint] 87@CNVOsConstraint::PerformOperatingSystemCheck : Minimum OS version check fail - Version: 6.1.7601 < 6.3. 
     11.721 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVOsConstraint] 93@CNVOsConstraint::PerformOperatingSystemCheck : Maximum OS version check pass - Version: 6.1.7601 <= . 
     11.721 |  WARNING: [NVI2.Installation] 1053@CInstallationCheckingBase::CheckConstraints : Constraint package silently blocked - "osVersionCheck". 
     11.721 |    DEBUG: [NVI2.Installation] 1082@CInstallationCheckingBase::CheckConstraints : Non critical package blocked, removing.

and

30.038 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 528@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2010InstallDir  set to  . 
     30.038 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 529@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2012InstallDir  set to  . 
     30.038 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 530@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2013InstallDir  set to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\. 
     30.038 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 531@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2015InstallDir  set to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\. 
     30.041 |    ERROR: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 831@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::RetrieveInstallDataFormNames : COM error: -2147467259. 
     30.041 |    ERROR: [NVI2.InstallThread] 54@CInstallThread::ThreadProc : Install failed - Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: InstallationStepper.cpp; Line: 2202} - going to fail state.

and

204.250 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 240@CNVInstaller::PerformSteps : Installation failed with error Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: SimpleThread.h; Line: 228}.

Looks to me like you are trying to use the windows 8.1 installer on win 7.

Minimum OS version check fail - Version: 6.1.7601 < 6.3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ver_(command)#Version_list

Both win 8.1 and win 7 installers have the same file name.

I suggest you re-download the win 7 windows installer, and try again.

Go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/getcuda

Then follow the prompts and make sure to select win 7 before downloading.

It looks as if it failed to see VS 2017 Community 15.3.5, which is what I am currently using. The VS2017 directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community3. There is also a macro for directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional, which I am not using/

I don’t think it’s a Windows 7/Windows 8.1 installer error, because I have done 3 downloads of the Windows 7 installer, and they all fail identically.

Also, I downloaded the Windows 8.1 installer and ran it on the same Windows 7 machine. Here are the corresponding error lines from the Windows 8.1 installer:

12.910 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVOsConstraint] 87@CNVOsConstraint::PerformOperatingSystemCheck : Minimum OS version check fail - Version: 6.1.7601 < 6.3. 
     12.910 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVOsConstraint] 93@CNVOsConstraint::PerformOperatingSystemCheck : Maximum OS version check pass - Version: 6.1.7601 <= . 
     12.910 |  WARNING: [NVI2.Installation] 1053@CInstallationCheckingBase::CheckConstraints : Constraint package silently blocked - "osVersionCheck".

From the code above, which seems to be the same in both installers, it looks like they are accepting any O/S, since they are ignoring the OS check errors.

And, I just downloaded the Windows 7 installer yet again, and tried it, with the same errors in the log.

MS changed the directory scheme with VS 2017, and my guess is that this, plus the unused VS 2017 Pro, is confusing the installer so it fails to find the correct VS2017 install directory.

The problem is definitely the Visual Studio integrations. I ran the installer with all items selected to install EXCEPT Visual Studio integrations, and everything shows as installed, no errors.

Then, I ran the installer again, with ONLY Visual Studio integrations selected, and got the same error as above.

Careful reading of the 9.0.176 release notes turned up this, under CUDA Tools:

CUDA Compilers. Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (starting with Update 1) support is beta. Only the RTM version (vc15.0) is fully supported.

And this, under Known Issues:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 (starting with Update 1) support is beta. Only the RTM version (vc15.0) is supported. Users may experience some issues when Visual Studio 2017 (starting with Update 1) is used as a host compiler with nvcc.

Since I am using the current VS 2017, v15.3.5, it looks like CUDA is not yet supported under VS2017. Hopefully, NVidia will add this support soon. Without it, CUDA is practically useless.

It would also be nice if the installer gave a comprehensible message when the Visual Studio integrations are not supported.

The installer also does not work on Visual Studio 2017 Community v 15.4.0 (the latest version).

Any news on NVIDIA fixing this CUDA 9 installation bug ?

There’s recent VS2017 updates and nvidia’s CUDA 9 now fails to install … and so development cannot be done with CUDA 9.

Sad ! :)

Same problem here

Seems that problem is caused by the attempt to install directx 9 redist that after the latest Windows Creators Fall update cannot complete setup. The redistributable installation must be decided by the user.

@SMH17: The DirectX may indeed be a problem, but I am seeing install fail on a Windows 7 x64 Pro system, so no Creators update.

The problem is in the Visual Studio 2017 integrations. If I had to guess, I’d say the NVidia installer is testing for the presence or location of VS 2017, and getting an unexpected result.

This was not the case with earlier versions of VS2017.

Maybe there are multiple factors that cause the issue. In my case was the dx9 setup that caused the issue, replacing dxsetup with a dummy version that does nothing but doesn’t return errors, the setup completed correctly.

So what should we do? I am getting the same issues, even with VS 2015 as well.

launch the setup of the only visual studio integration component from command line and see the error log to understand at what point the setup stop and with what error exactly

I’m seeing exactly the same problem, it’s failing on the VS 2017 integration. If I untick this option, it installs perfectly.

I encountered this issue with the CUDA 9.1.85 installer (I didn’t try the 9.0.176 installer).

Environment:

• Windows 10 x64 build 1607
  • Visual Studio 2017 v15.5.2.

9.1.85_windows.exe installer worked for me, when 9.0.176 did not. I have also uninstalled and re-installed VS2017 (for other issues).

If 9.1.85 fails, you need to get the logs and see if it tells you what is failing. The easiest first step is to see if the install works if you customize to disable the VS integrations. If so, the problem is in the integrations; otherwise, it is elsewhere.

64-bit Windows 7, VS2017 Community 15.5.3, but I believe the CUDA was installed when it 15.5.2.

The difference I can see between your setup and my setup are:

• You are using Windows 7, I am using Windows 10.
  • You are using Visual Studio 2017 Community, I am using Enterprise.
  • You are using v15.5.3, I am v15.3.2, but there is nothing in the release notes to indicate that this would make a difference.

The problem is definitely in the VS Integration, as it fails unless I untick this option.

I guess the next step would be to try and replicate this issue on Windows 10 x64.

I suggest you look at the logs from the VS integrations. The way I was able to do this was to start the CUDA installer, wait till it copied the files to temporary directory, then interrupt it. After that, the batch file you need to do just the integrations will be in that directory, and you copy all the files to another more permanent directory, and then run the batch file from the command line, and capture the output log. For example, a log from a failing install of 9.0.176 to VS2017 contained the lines

38.313 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 530@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2013InstallDir  set to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\. 
     38.313 |    DEBUG: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 531@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::DetectVSInstallations : VS2015InstallDir  set to  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\. 
     38.316 |    ERROR: [CUDAVisualStudioIntegration.CUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite] 831@CCUDAVisualStudioIntegrationExtSite::RetrieveInstallDataFormNames : COM error: -2147467259. 
     38.304 |    ERROR: [NVI2.InstallThread] 54@CInstallThread::ThreadProc : Install failed - Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: InstallationStepper.cpp; Line: 2202} - going to fail state.

when it looks like the installer didn’t even see VS2017. This log file is LOG.setup.exe.log.

This has been quite literally the most frustrating experience in a decade of working in IT. Trying to install CUDA 9.1 on Windows 10 is like trying to skydive through a series of hoola-hoops at 20,000 feet. Blind-folded.
The insistence on Microsoft Visual Studio just to run CUDA is but one of the many frustrations of this all-day installation saga. I have uninstalled, re-installed, re-booted, deleted, re-downloaded, re-installed.

Bottom line: nvidia has a very long way to go to streamlining the installation experience of CUDA. Getting CUDA to play nicely with its dependencies is but the first step. After 8 hours of banging my head against the laptop, time for a beer. Congrats Nvidia, your frustrating install experience has driven me to the bottle.