How to receive CSI camera frame in Unified memory buffer

Hi Folks,

1. I am looking for a example, or consultancy on how to receive a CSI camera frame in unified memory buffer. I would prefer to use Argus, for reading the camera frame, and would like to “pre-Allocate” unified memory buffer using cudaMallocManaged(), and pass the buffer address given by cudaMallocManaged() to Argus API for reading frame into that buffer.

When I looked around for and example which I can follow, I found /home/ubuntu/tegra_multimedia_api/samples/v4l2cuda/capture.cpp. However this does not seem to work with CSI camera.

1. Is there a way to pass unified memory buffer pointer to iFrameConsumer->acquireFrame() ?

My motivation for all this - is to avoid frame buffer copies that I would have to do otherwise. We are processing our frame partly on GPU and partly on CPU. In this scenario, Unified mem buffer would help.

I have asked similar question on #46 of

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1022543/jetson-tx2/gstreamer-nvmm-lt-gt-opencv-gpumat/4

My apologies for repetition. Felt starting a new topic, would be better.

Thanks,

Hi dumbogeorge,
I should have given you a sample at [url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1010111/jetson-tx1/nvmm-memory/post/5162049/#5162049[/url]

Is it NG?

Hi DaneLLL

Sorry, I am not able to connect/comprehend my question , and pointer/patch you gave earlier.

I am looking to allocate a buffer in unified memory such that I can process the frame interchangeably, on CPU and GPU. I was able to build/run your patch given on 6/7/17, but are the frame buffers allocated in your patch residing in unified memory ? I am not sure.

Also, when you acquire the frame in your patch –

// Acquire a frame.
        UniqueObj<Frame> frame(iFrameConsumer->acquireFrame());
        IFrame *iFrame = interface_cast<IFrame>(frame);
        if (!iFrame)
            break;

// Get the IImageNativeBuffer extension interface and create the fd.
        NV::IImageNativeBuffer *iNativeBuffer =
            interface_cast<NV::IImageNativeBuffer>(iFrame->getImage());
        if (!iNativeBuffer)
            ORIGINATE_ERROR("IImageNativeBuffer not supported by Image.");
        fd = iNativeBuffer->createNvBuffer(Size(ctx.width, ctx.height),
                                           NvBufferColorFormat_YUV420,
                                           NvBufferLayout_BlockLinear);

How can we ensure that pixels land in unified buffer ?

THanks

Hi dumbogeorge,
we don’t support unified memory in this case.

We have APIs to do CPU/GPU processing on memory from Argus. You can check tegra_multimedia_api/include/nvbuf_utils.h

For GPU processing:
EGLImageKHR NvEGLImageFromFd (EGLDisplay display, int dmabuf_fd);
int NvDestroyEGLImage (EGLDisplay display, EGLImageKHR eglImage);

For CPU processing:
int NvBufferMemMap (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, NvBufferMemFlags memflag, void **pVirtAddr);
int NvBufferMemSyncForCpu (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, void **pVirtAddr);
int NvBufferMemUnMap (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, void **pVirtAddr);

Hi DaneLLL,

Is there any plan to support unified memory for purpose of camera frame capture ? Would you create any new examples ?

Are there examples for CPU Processing functions -

int NvBufferMemMap (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, NvBufferMemFlags memflag, void **pVirtAddr);
int NvBufferMemSyncForCpu (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, void **pVirtAddr);
int NvBufferMemUnMap (int dmabuf_fd, unsigned int plane, void **pVirtAddr);

When I surf around I found few examples on nvidia developer forum, but they do not seem to use unified memory .

Thanks,

Hi dumbogeorge,
We have APIs for accessing the buffer via CPU/GPU, so for now don’t have plan to support unified memory.

Hi DaneLLL,
Thanks. In our case we are processing frame on CPU and GPU both. Is there an example that I can copy about processing frame on CPU and GPU. I need to access frame first on GPU and then same input frame need to be accessed on CPU.

Thanks

Please refer to
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025494/how-to-receive-csi-camera-frame-in-unified-memory-buffer/

We have APIs in tegra_multimedia_api\include\nvbuf_utils.h and please do integration by yourself.