System Monitor Call (SMC) 0xC2FFFF0F on Jetson-TX2 and L4T 28.1

Hi,

On Jetson-TX2, the firmware that comes bundles along with L4T 28.1 is executing a SMC instruction, which is causing an exception and leading to generation of CPU trap, 0x17. This happens when the TX2 board is up and running.

As per ARM spec, exception 0x17 is generated for SMC instruction (System Monitor Call). The Function Identifier that is causing the Trap is 00000000c2ffff0f, which happens to be SiP (Silicon Partner) call as per Documentation – Arm Developer

However, SMC call for this Function Identifer (00000000c2ffff0f) is *NOT
seen on Jetson TX1 board, with L4T 28.1

I would like to know, which Feature/driver on TX2 is resulting in this particular SMC call and would like to disable it, so as to prevent is from generating Trap 0x17.

Thanks,
-Aleem

<Re-posting: corrected few types>

Hi,

On Jetson-TX2, the firmware that comes bundled along with L4T 28.1 is executing a SMC instruction, which is causing an exception and leading to generation of CPU trap, 0x17. This happens when the TX2 board is up and running.

As per ARM spec, exception 0x17 is generated for SMC instruction (System Monitor Call). The Function Identifier that is causing the Trap is 00000000c2ffff0f, which happens to be SiP (Silicon Partner) call as per Documentation – Arm Developer

However, SMC call for this Function Identifer (00000000c2ffff0f) is NOT seen on Jetson TX1 board, with L4T 28.1

I would like to know, which Feature/driver on TX2 is resulting in this particular SMC call and would like to disable it, so as to prevent it from generating Trap 0x17.

Thanks,
-Aleem

Hello Aleem,

Could you please tell us how do you reproduce this issue, please provide steps to reproduce this issue.

Jetson-TX1 doesn’t support SiP handler, this support added in Jetson-TX2.

Regards,
Jeetesh

Aleem,
"This happens when the TX2 board is up and running.

=> Ya, as Jeetesh put it. If there is a detailed log output to record the trap, that’s helpful. Thanks.

Hi,

I am running a hypervisor on Jetpack 3.1. Now, if I start a web browser or launch a new terminal at the hdmi console, this SMC call gets invoked. Due to this call, the hypervisor crashes, so not able to get any logs.

Could you tell me, what feature to disable to avoid this SMC call being made in first place.

thanks

Hi Aleem,
Could you please tell us, which Hypervisor SW you are using and the steps to setup Hypervisor on L4T, so that we can try on our local-setup and debug it further ?

Regards,
Jeetesh

Hi Aleem,

Could you share more information to help on debugging this issue?

Thanks