Nsight 5.4 can't capture frame anymore

I have updated Nsight because with the previous version I had our application crash when trying to retrieve data (textures, shader source,…).

But now I simply can’t capture a frame, nothing happens when I click on the capture button in the HUD.

Our application use OpenGL API.
Windows version : 10.0.15063 Pro 64 bits
GPU : GeForce GTX 670
Nividia drivers : 388.31
RAM : 16 Go
CPU : i5-2310 @ 2.90 Ghz

This is not the first time that I have issues, the stability of Nsight depends of a lot of the environnement (OS version, drivers) and the GPU model, that why I am trying to avoid to modify my configuration but sometimes I need to update things.

Is there driver versions specified to work with Nsight, like those for Quadro cards for exemple?

Hi Flamaros,

I’m sorry for the problem you met.
Can you provide more information please?

• can you capture the frame after clicking the menu nsight->pause and capture frame?
  • can you capture the frame after press hotkey ctrl+Z+space on the sample screen?

Nsight should works with the latest version of driver on the official website.

Thanks,
Letitia

Thank you for answer, only the pause from the nsight menu in VS works.

That the picking on the overlay HUD display after the CTRL+Z hotkey that doesn’t works, I can’t press any buttons (capture button, event cursor,…)

I can see my shader sources, but it fails to retrieve textures, in the preview of texture I have the message “Failed texture creation: Could not retrieve data”.

Hi,

Thanks for your information.
Can you provide more information please?

• Did the issue happen with Nsight 5.3?
  • Did the issue happen with all samples?
  • VS info
  • Can you uninstall nsight and install it, then try it again?
  • Can we have your sample please? then we can identify the issue quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

• Did the issue happen with Nsight 5.3?

I didn’t tried, the previous version I used was an older one, maybe 5.1 or 5.2. I didn’t have this issue.

• Did the issue happen with all samples?

Yes, I can only see FBO

• VS info

VS Community 2015 Update 3 (14.0.25431.01)

• Can you uninstall nsight and install it, then try it again?

I’ll see if I can try that

Hi,

I’m a little confused about the answer of the second question.
Did the issue happen with both DX and OpenGL samples?

Please tell us if the issue still happened after uninstall and install it again.

Thanks,
Letitia

I made an uninstall and installed it back, but I still can’t access to everything correctly. I miss textures visualization and I just saw that the timeline is also unavailable when profiling.

I think that it is me that interpret badly sample word in your question, I didn’t tried this feature with Nsight samples, only with our application as I already have used them some times ago.
I’ll take a look if it works with samples.

Thank you for your help.

Here is a capture of the view textures that I have.
[url]https://ibb.co/b2brHw[/url]

I finally got the timeline view working, I am not sure if it is because I have restarted my computer or if it is because I started the profiling when launching the application instead of manually (which I used to do).

Hi Flamaros,

Thanks for your information.
According to the screenshot, you can pause&capture the frame now but the resource view didn’t work as expected?
Did I get your meaning?

Thanks,
Letitia

Hello,

Exactly I can pause and capture a frame, and now only the resource view seems not working correctly.

I really need this view now as I am trying to make our post-effects work again after the major refactoring I did on our 3D engine.
Nsight is really a big time saver when everything goes fine ;-).

Hi Flamaros,

I’m sorry I’m not sure what cause the problem, maybe your sample is a little big, so it needs time to load all the resources, maybe it’s an issue of nsight.

If the sample is too big, you can do serialization, just click the menu nsight->serialize capture to c/c++, then compile and do graphics debugging with the serialization project.

If the issue still happened with the serialization project, can we have the serialization project please? then we can identify the issue quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

I have less than 200 textures, mostly with a resolution of 512x512 compressed in DXTC, few are in RGB or RGBA format with similar resolutions.

The serialization doesn’t work, I get the message “Serialization could not complete: Failed to gather necessary state.” the first time I try and after this one: “Serialization could not complete: Serializing apps using OpenGL and D3D is not supported”.

Hi Flamaros,

Can we have your sample please?
I’m afraid that I can’t help solve the problem if there’s not enough information.

Thanks,
Letitia

I can’t provide a sample, but if I remember correctly I gave you a steam key of Home Design 3D for an older issue.

I’ll try to find the post or the mail to sent it to you back if needed.