Kernel driver compilation - avoid new kernel flashing
Hi all, I'm trying to use a WiFi Adapter with a PX2 board but, obviously, it requires its driver to run properly (I can see it attached using 'dmesg' but no 'wlanXY' interfaces appears). So, I took its driver sources and crosscompiled (seems successfully) them inside the kernel tree. Then I copied the generated '.ko' module into target board and I tried to load it using 'sudo insmod drivername.ko'. But an error appears: "insmod: ERROR: could not insert module drivername.ko: Invalid parameters". If I take a look at dmesg, it shows me lots of error messages. For example: [list] [.]disagree about version of symbol ... [/.] [.]Unknown symbol ... [/.] [/list] What's happening? Do I have to flash the entire new kernel? Thanks a lot
Hi all,

I'm trying to use a WiFi Adapter with a PX2 board but, obviously, it requires its driver to run properly (I can see it attached using 'dmesg' but no 'wlanXY' interfaces appears). So, I took its driver sources and crosscompiled (seems successfully) them inside the kernel tree. Then I copied the generated '.ko' module into target board and I tried to load it using 'sudo insmod drivername.ko'.
But an error appears: "insmod: ERROR: could not insert module drivername.ko: Invalid parameters". If I take a look at dmesg, it shows me lots of error messages. For example:
  • disagree about version of symbol ...
  • Unknown symbol ...

What's happening? Do I have to flash the entire new kernel?

Thanks a lot

Posted 12/05/2017 05:00 PM   
Dear luca.seoli, Yes, but you can move the kernel you made to the top kernel directory as described in http://docs.nvidia.com/drive/nvvib_docs/index.html#page/NVIDIA%2520Vibrante%2520Linux%2520DPX%2520Development%2520Guide%2FSystem%2520Programming%2Fsys_programming_kernel_toolchain.html%23 Then download the kernel only without flashing the entire RFS and NOR using the bootburn “-R” option – bootburn.sh -b <board-name> -R
Dear luca.seoli,

Yes, but you can move the kernel you made to the top kernel directory as described in http://docs.nvidia.com/drive/nvvib_docs/index.html#page/NVIDIA%2520Vibrante%2520Linux%2520DPX%2520Development%2520Guide%2FSystem%2520Programming%2Fsys_programming_kernel_toolchain.html%23

Then download the kernel only without flashing the entire RFS and NOR using the bootburn “-R” option – bootburn.sh -b <board-name> -R

Posted 12/07/2017 10:02 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply