CUDA 9 failed to support the latest Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5
Quite possibly the most painful experience I have ever had attempting to install a single piece of software in my life. On top of that, the developer who implemented the download logic for the installer seemed to fail to understand that downloads can be resumed after a temporary network dropout.
Quite possibly the most painful experience I have ever had attempting to install a single piece of software in my life. On top of that, the developer who implemented the download logic for the installer seemed to fail to understand that downloads can be resumed after a temporary network dropout.

Posted 12/15/2017 09:42 AM   

Posted 12/15/2017 02:37 PM   
[b]xnode[/b], that for an empty message? You have lost the gift of speech, from the fact that there was a new nsignt version and at the same time a new version of VisualStudio 15.5.2 and still does not work? :-D
xnode, that for an empty message? You have lost the gift of speech, from the fact that there was a new nsignt version and at the same time a new version of VisualStudio 15.5.2 and still does not work? :-D

Posted 12/15/2017 05:09 PM   
[b]xnode[/b], that for an empty message? You have lost the gift of speech, from the fact that there was a new nsignt version and at the same time a new version of VisualStudio 15.5.2 and still does not work? :-D What a hell, ddos? ) Delete my last message please...
xnode, that for an empty message? You have lost the gift of speech, from the fact that there was a new nsignt version and at the same time a new version of VisualStudio 15.5.2 and still does not work? :-D

What a hell, ddos? ) Delete my last message please...

Posted 12/15/2017 05:10 PM   
Has anyone solved this problem yet? I still can't get the Cuda installer to integrate with Visual Studio.
Has anyone solved this problem yet? I still can't get the Cuda installer to integrate with Visual Studio.

Posted 12/16/2017 06:44 AM   
Hello, yes, you can get the VS 15.4 (uninstall everything first) as stated here : "VS 2017 (version 15.4.X) is still available at the link https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/installing-an-earlier-release-of-vs2017 I suppose it will be available there until version 15.6 will be released" Then install cuda 9.1 then you open the projects and retarget them for v104 as illustrated in this thread It worked for me. Good luck
Hello, yes, you can get the VS 15.4 (uninstall everything first) as stated here :

"VS 2017 (version 15.4.X) is still available at the link

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/installing-an-earlier-release-of-vs2017

I suppose it will be available there until version 15.6 will be released"

Then install cuda 9.1

then you open the projects and retarget them for v104 as illustrated in this thread
It worked for me.

Good luck

Posted 12/16/2017 07:09 AM   
Thanks for the tips, ago70, but this still doesn't work for me. The problem is with Visual Studio integration, as others have stated. If I install Cuda without VS integration, the installation proceeds correctly. If I install Nsight separately, I need to run this under an admin account (msiexec /a) for it to successfully work, but this does not solve the rest of the VS integration problem.
Thanks for the tips, ago70, but this still doesn't work for me. The problem is with Visual Studio integration, as others have stated. If I install Cuda without VS integration, the installation proceeds correctly. If I install Nsight separately, I need to run this under an admin account (msiexec /a) for it to successfully work, but this does not solve the rest of the VS integration problem.

Posted 12/16/2017 09:37 AM   
That's all for me; tried all sort of solution-combinations, its been almost a week and I'm officially tired of this painful installing experience... had to take the decision to install linux as a dual boot, we'll see if that works better. My advise: try to solve it, couple painful days, if that does not work, go to linux.
That's all for me; tried all sort of solution-combinations, its been almost a week and I'm officially tired of this painful installing experience... had to take the decision to install linux as a dual boot, we'll see if that works better.
My advise: try to solve it, couple painful days, if that does not work, go to linux.

Posted 12/23/2017 03:02 PM   
Does it work yet?
Does it work yet?

Posted 12/31/2017 09:59 AM   
I don't know, I spit on this GPU debugging and I do without it in the old manner, debugging the output of different colors on the screen :-) Oh my God, when will these nSight developers understand that visual studio is a complete mess and that the core community of programmers is using QtCreator ...
I don't know, I spit on this GPU debugging and I do without it in the old manner, debugging the output of different colors on the screen :-) Oh my God, when will these nSight developers understand that visual studio is a complete mess and that the core community of programmers is using QtCreator ...

Posted 12/31/2017 11:19 AM   
@beres.roland92 Not yet. You need to use VS2017 15.4
@beres.roland92 Not yet. You need to use VS2017 15.4

Posted 01/01/2018 01:18 AM   
I tried installing CUDA 9.1 with VS 2017 15.5.2 on Win 10 x64. The VS integration kept failing. I then tried the suggestion in this thread - VS Installer -> Modify -> +VC++ 2015.3 v140,+VC++ tools for CMAKE But the integration kept failing. So I extracted all files from CUDA installer, enabled MSI logging and zeroed in on the issue. The NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_Win64_5.4.0.17229 installer reports this error [b]Error: Expected to find "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\Common7\IDE\devenv.com" but did not[/b] MSI (c) (58!3C) [08:42:39:040]: Closing MSIHANDLE (7) of type 790531 for thread 10812 CustomAction get_VISUALSTUDIO2017LOCATION returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) MSI (c) (58:64) [08:42:39:056]: Closing MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790542 for thread 15012 Action ended 08:42:39: get_VISUALSTUDIO2017LOCATION. Return value 3. MSI (c) (58:A4) [08:42:39:056]: Doing action: FatalErrorCustom [b]Action 08:42:39: FatalErrorCustom. [/b] I followed that path and can confirm that there is nothing in the that folder named devenv.com It's sad to see both billion $ giants failing to get a simple installation right. There should atleast be a manual installation method so we can get something done without waiting.
I tried installing CUDA 9.1 with VS 2017 15.5.2 on Win 10 x64. The VS integration kept failing. I then tried the suggestion in this thread

- VS Installer -> Modify -> +VC++ 2015.3 v140,+VC++ tools for CMAKE

But the integration kept failing. So I extracted all files from CUDA installer, enabled MSI logging and zeroed in on the issue. The NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_Win64_5.4.0.17229 installer reports this error

Error: Expected to find "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\Common7\IDE\devenv.com" but did not
MSI (c) (58!3C) [08:42:39:040]: Closing MSIHANDLE (7) of type 790531 for thread 10812
CustomAction get_VISUALSTUDIO2017LOCATION returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (c) (58:64) [08:42:39:056]: Closing MSIHANDLE (1) of type 790542 for thread 15012
Action ended 08:42:39: get_VISUALSTUDIO2017LOCATION. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (58:A4) [08:42:39:056]: Doing action: FatalErrorCustom
Action 08:42:39: FatalErrorCustom.

I followed that path and can confirm that there is nothing in the that folder named devenv.com

It's sad to see both billion $ giants failing to get a simple installation right. There should atleast be a manual installation method so we can get something done without waiting.

Posted 01/01/2018 03:35 AM   
Personally, all this debilizm has already bothered me and I rolled back on OpenGL ComputeShaders and OpenCL with CodeXL debbuger. I can't believe that such monsters as Microsoft and NVidia, can not do some basic things. And anyway, I probably even throw my NVidia 1080Ti card to the trash box and buy AMD :) And remember that the most popular support for the community is only the open source products or just free, and if you make your free product NSight only for a paid visual studio, in which a ton of bugs, nothing good will come of it. Happy new year NVidia, I hope, with this level of support, this year will be your last.
Personally, all this debilizm has already bothered me and I rolled back on OpenGL ComputeShaders and OpenCL with CodeXL debbuger.
I can't believe that such monsters as Microsoft and NVidia, can not do some basic things. And anyway, I probably even throw my NVidia 1080Ti card to the trash box and buy AMD :)

And remember that the most popular support for the community is only the open source products or just free, and if you make your free product NSight only for a paid visual studio, in which a ton of bugs, nothing good will come of it.

Happy new year NVidia, I hope, with this level of support, this year will be your last.

Posted 01/01/2018 07:00 AM   
I finally got Cuda 9.1 installed with VS 15.4 after forcibly removing absolutely every trace of any VS installation on my machine. So I would recommend going through your Apps list under Windows and making sure that every VS installation has been uninstalled prior to attempting to install Cuda. The steps I took were: (1) Uninstall every VS installation - go through the list of installed programs, and verify that they have all been uninstalled (2) Install VS 15.4 (3) Install Cuda 9.1 That worked for me, and will hopefully work for anyone else having installation issues.
I finally got Cuda 9.1 installed with VS 15.4 after forcibly removing absolutely every trace of any VS installation on my machine. So I would recommend going through your Apps list under Windows and making sure that every VS installation has been uninstalled prior to attempting to install Cuda. The steps I took were:

(1) Uninstall every VS installation - go through the list of installed programs, and verify that they have all been uninstalled
(2) Install VS 15.4
(3) Install Cuda 9.1

That worked for me, and will hopefully work for anyone else having installation issues.

Posted 01/01/2018 07:07 AM   
I use a new computer and find that VS 15.4 work for me too. But it will be nicer if Microsoft and NVidia can solve this problem because I dare not to uninstall VS 15.5 in my old PC, which supports many other tools.
I use a new computer and find that VS 15.4 work for me too. But it will be nicer if Microsoft and NVidia can solve this problem because I dare not to uninstall VS 15.5 in my old PC, which supports many other tools.

Posted 01/03/2018 02:18 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply