Software-Center does not work and No permission to open "software-properties-gk"

It appears that as nvidia or ubuntu user you dont have permission to open “software-properties-gk”
it is also not possible to install something from the “software-center”

Is this meant to be like this or is this a bug/problem of my ubuntu?

Here is what the terminal gives me when i try to open the sofware properties:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ sudo software-properties-gtk 
[sudo] password for nvidia: 
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py:40: PyGIWarning: Gdk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gdk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GObject, Gdk, Gtk, Gio, GLib
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py:40: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 175, in activate_name_owner
    return self.get_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 361, in get_name_owner
    's', (bus_name,), **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties': no such name

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 101, in <module>
    app = SoftwarePropertiesGtk(datadir=options.data_dir, options=options, file=file)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py", line 141, in __init__
    proxy = bus.get_object("com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties", "/")
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties: Permission denied

How are you logged in? The command works for me, but there may be differences in permissions for display (versus execution permission).

Also, I see the named file in two locations (suffix differs):

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties.conf
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties.service

As the user in question, what do you see from:

ls -l /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties*
ls -l /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties*

Hey,

i tried it as both pre-installed user-accounts nvidia and ubuntu.

Your commands give me:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ ls -l /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 662 Mar 22  2016 /etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties.conf

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ ls -l /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 120 Mar  6  2017 /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties.service

I guess it is not normal that i can’t access software-properties-gtk. Do you think i can fix this manually or do you think something went wrong during the flashing and i need to re-flash the jetson?

Those files are owned by root, so you’d have to use sudo before the command can work. Since these are part of system directories (not individual users) this would be considered normal and correct. What happens if you use your command with sudo?

it gives me:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ sudo software-properties-gtk 
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py:40: PyGIWarning: Gdk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gdk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py:40: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 175, in activate_name_owner
    return self.get_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 361, in get_name_owner
    's', (bus_name,), **keywords)
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties': no such name

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 101, in <module>
    app = SoftwarePropertiesGtk(datadir=options.data_dir, options=options, file=file)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py", line 141, in __init__
    proxy = bus.get_object("com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties", "/")
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties: Permission denied
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$

and i dont really understand what happens here :/

I’d like to verify how you are logged in. It works for me, but I’m logged in directly or with X display forwarding on ssh. If I have a display available, it works…if I do not have a display set, then it gives a similar error.

I reflashed with JetPack 3.2
Now it does not give me this error any more, although I did not change anything with my display
(I always had one)

Thank you anyways!