How to learn PhysX to stop basic 'bouncing ball on flat surface' problem.

Hi all,

It’s my first post here, so I hope that I don’t cause too many headaches with my questions.

Basically I’ve been teaching myself Game Development with Unity (using latest 2017.2 release atmo) for the last 2 years. So, still fairly green.

In my current project I have a ball that’s rolling over a modular track. The problem is that even if I have flat box colliders for my track the ball will hit the edges between the objects and will bounce straight up, or even backwards as if it hit a wall. Please note that this happens only when traveling higher than a certain speed.

My research into this issue shows that it’s not just the Unity engine that suffers from this: Unreal has similar issues as well.

So, obviously I’m looking for solution other than the ones I’ve already tried (original Unity Forum Post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/repost-from-graphics-wrong-forum-brainstorming-solutions-aligned-flat-mesh-rolling-ball-skip.508309/#post-3319434).

But to do so I realise that I may well have to learn the ins-and-outs of the PhysX system. So… any good place for me to start?

I’m sorry if I’ve prattled on a bit, but I eagerly await any and all replies. Thanks for reading this far.

Mike