Driver goes away.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit 31.4 GiB GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2, Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz × 8

NVidia driver 384 sometimes goes away after a reboot. Login to the desktop gets stuck in a login loop and it becomes impossible to login.

To fix, I remove 384 (by installing an older driver) and reinstalling. I start a virtual console (ctrl-alt-f1) and run:

sudo apt install nvidia-381 && sudo apt install nvidia-384

A little inconvenient. Anybody have a suggestion for an easier/faster way to restore the driver. Bonus points if you can fix the underlying problem: Why does the driver go away? I’m guessing it’s a permissions problem and or broken/incorrect links. The problem is intermittent, does not always happen, and I can’t make it happen.

Thanks in advance,
Adam.

Is it possible to run nvidia-bug-report.sh after the driver goes away? Because I have no clue what you mean. Did you install a new kernel before rebooting? Does the Nvidia driver load, but the X server has a problem? Did you build the Nvidia driver with dkms? The bug report will give us a lot more information.