Does "yum install cuda" install the driver?
This is on CentOS 7. I had the 384.111 driver already installed. When I installed the cuda toolkit (via rpm), it did not ask if I wanted the driver installed. It appears to have done so anyway - and improperly. nvidia-smi is gone, and running it from the extracted driver folder gives a "driver/library version mismatch" error. So, did it overwrite the driver? (I assume yes). Is there a way to make the rpm install *not* install the driver, or is that only achievable via the "run" install?
This is on CentOS 7. I had the 384.111 driver already installed.

When I installed the cuda toolkit (via rpm), it did not ask if I wanted the driver installed.

It appears to have done so anyway - and improperly. nvidia-smi is gone, and running it from the extracted driver folder gives a "driver/library version mismatch" error.

So, did it overwrite the driver? (I assume yes).

Is there a way to make the rpm install *not* install the driver, or is that only achievable via the "run" install?

Posted 01/12/2018 08:31 PM   
yes if you read the linux install guide, you can learn how to install the [b]cuda-toolkit[/b] without the driver, even using a package manager install method
yes

if you read the linux install guide, you can learn how to install the cuda-toolkit without the driver, even using a package manager install method

Posted 01/13/2018 02:07 AM   
I've read the relevant sections. I must be missing it ... there does not appear to be such an option for the rpm install.
I've read the relevant sections. I must be missing it ... there does not appear to be such an option for the rpm install.

Posted 01/13/2018 02:39 PM   
read all of section 3.7 carefully. in particular section 3.7.3 in particular table 4 in particular this: [i]cuda-toolkit-9-1 Installs all CUDA Toolkit packages required to develop CUDA applications. [b]Does not include the driver.[/b][/i] (when I used a simple search function on the linux install guide to find [b]cuda-toolkit[/b], it takes me to that line) yum install cuda-toolkit should install the latest that is available in the repo yum install cuda-toolkit-X.Y should install the CUDA toolkit X.Y version (assuming version X.Y is available in the repo)
read all of section 3.7 carefully.

in particular section 3.7.3

in particular table 4

in particular this:

cuda-toolkit-9-1 Installs all CUDA Toolkit packages required to develop CUDA applications. Does not include the driver.

(when I used a simple search function on the linux install guide to find cuda-toolkit, it takes me to that line)

yum install cuda-toolkit

should install the latest that is available in the repo

yum install cuda-toolkit-X.Y

should install the CUDA toolkit X.Y version (assuming version X.Y is available in the repo)

Posted 01/13/2018 02:45 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply