A value of zero is either printed as 1 or 4 in a kernel for some specific case !!

Hi all,

My real issue is that I found some random error when I try to do a matrix product in cuda. I found that the issue is related to some really strange behavior in the kernel.
For example, the value of threadIdx, BlockDim, are wrong when I print them. Here is an example of the printf from the code below:

idx_element :=31 idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := 0 ---- threadIdx:(3, 0, 0) blockIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockDim:(0, 0, 32) gridDim:(32, 1, 4) -- zero = 4

As you can see the blockDim is 0 in x and y ! And threadIdx.x = 3 is printed whereas in the code I asked to print only when threadIdx.x == 0 (cf the if statement in line 178 in the code)
Also note the value of zero which is 4 while it is just a constant value initialized to 0 (cf. line 177 in the code).

If I change the value of the variable

// Matrix Info
    const INDEX_DEV bugZero = 128;

in line 204 in the code from 128 to 32, then I get the following result

idx_element :=0 idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := 0 ---- threadIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockDim:(0, 0, 32) gridDim:(32, 1, 1) -- zero = 1

As you can see, the value of zero is now 1 !!

Here is the code. I tried to get rid of some part of the full code in order to just to focus on the printf but then I could not reproduce the behavior anymore so I put the full code here. It’s long but at least you can copy/past it directly and should work.

Here ismy environment:
Windows 10 64 bits
Visual Studio 2017
CUDA 9.1
GTX1080Ti

#include "cuda_runtime.h"
#include "device_launch_parameters.h"
#include "cuda.h"

#include <string>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <memory>
#include <typeinfo>       // operator typeid

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Defines Data Types

typedef double                      REAL;
typedef float                       FLOAT32;
typedef double                      FLOAT64;
typedef unsigned int                UINT32;
typedef long                        INT32;
typedef long long int               INT64;
typedef unsigned long long int      UINT64;
typedef size_t                      INDEX_CUDA;
typedef size_t                      INDEX_DEV;

const INDEX_CUDA CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32 = 32;

// Return the error code to the caller on error. To be used wuth all cuda*** methods
#define CUDA_SAFE_CALL(funccall)                                                                                \
    {                                                                                                           \
        const cudaError_t err_id = funccall;                                                                    \
        if (err_id != cudaSuccess)                                                                              \
        {                                                                                                       \
            __printCudaError(err_id, __FILE__,__LINE__ , "CUDA_SAFE_CALL");                                     \
            return -1;                                                                                          \
        }                                                                                                       \
    }

// Print information on the error
inline void __printCudaError(const cudaError_t err_id, const char * const file, const int line, const char * const funcName)
{
    std::cout << std::endl;
    std::cout << "---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" << std::endl;
    std::cout << funcName << " Runtime API failed." << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Reason:      " << cudaGetErrorString(err_id) << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Error Code:  " << err_id << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  File:        " << file << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Line:        " << static_cast<FLOAT64>(line) << std::endl;
    std::cout << "---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" << '\n' << std::endl;
}

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
template<class T>
__global__ void MatrixProdPadDynSmem_k(const T * const pA,
                                       const T * const pB,
                                       const INDEX_CUDA SizeColsRes,
                                       const INDEX_CUDA SizeRowsRes,
                                       const INDEX_CUDA SizeColsA_RowsB,
                                       const INDEX_CUDA commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB,
                                       const INDEX_CUDA start_idx_ptr_Smem_B,
                                       T * const oRes)
{
    /*========================================================================
    * Dynamic Rectangular shared memory (The result oRes is a Matrix C:= A*B)
    * ========================================================================
    * s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A is of size : BlockDim.y x commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB
    *      - We must have BlockDim.y since the number of rows in A that can be handled is exactly this value
    *        because we want a single thread to handle a single element in C
    *      - The size of commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB is desirable to be a multiple of warp size (x32) to allow a Coalesced read
    *        of an entire row in the matrix A
    * s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B is of size : commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB x BlockDim.x
    *      - We must have BlockDim.x as sizeCols here since the number of cols in B that can be handled is exactly this value
    *        because we want a single thread to handle a single element in C
    *      - The size of BlockDim.x is desirable to be a multiple of warp size (x32) to allow a Coalesced read
    *        of an entire row in the matrix B
    */
    extern __shared__ T s_TOTAL_DYN_SMEM_TILE[];
    T * const s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A = &s_TOTAL_DYN_SMEM_TILE[0];
    T * const s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B = &s_TOTAL_DYN_SMEM_TILE[start_idx_ptr_Smem_B];

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * STEP 1: One warp performs a coalesced read of a rows from a block of the matrix A and B stored in global memory
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

/*- matrix coordinate : (iy, ix) -> (line , Column)
    * - global linear memory index : idx = iy * SizeCols + ix
    */

// First step: map the thread and block index to the coordinate of the matrix C (Accessing with Row-major order)
    const UINT32 col_idx_Res = threadIdx.x + blockIdx.x * blockDim.x;                                           // Col index
    const UINT32 row_idx_Res = threadIdx.y + blockIdx.y * blockDim.y;                                           // Row index

const INDEX_CUDA NB_CHUNK_COPY_SMEM_A_B = SizeColsA_RowsB / commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB;

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * STEP 2: The warp then writes the data into shared memory using row-major ordering.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
    if (col_idx_Res < SizeColsRes && row_idx_Res < SizeRowsRes)
    {
        //========================================================================
        // Case of matrix A: the shared memory has the same rows as BlockDim.y

const INDEX_CUDA UnrollingFactorColsSmemA = commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB / blockDim.x;
        const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_COLS_SMEM_A = commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB;
        const UINT32 STEP_COLS_SINGLE_THREAD(blockDim.x);

// Coordinate in matrix A. Accessing with Row-major order
        const UINT32 row_idx_A = threadIdx.y + blockIdx.y * blockDim.y;                                           // Row index

// Case of matrix B: the shared memory has the same cols as BlockDim.x
        const INDEX_CUDA UnrollingFactorRowsSmemB = commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB / blockDim.y;
        const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_ROWS_SMEM_B = commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB;
        const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_COLS_SMEM_B = blockDim.x;
        const UINT32 STEP_ROW_SINGLE_THREAD(blockDim.y);

// Coordinate in matrix B. Accessing with Row-major order
        const UINT32 col_idx_B = threadIdx.x + blockIdx.x * blockDim.x;                                     // Col index

// Use double to avoid loss of accuracy
        FLOAT64 runningSum(0.0);

// For each Tile/Chunk we copy the data in shared memory
        for (INDEX_CUDA idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem = 0; idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem < NB_CHUNK_COPY_SMEM_A_B; ++idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem)
        {
            /* Case of matrix A: the shared memory has the same rows as BlockDim.y
            * Each 32 consecutive threads in a warp will handle "UnrollingFactorColsSmemA" Cols of Matrix A
            */
            for (INDEX_CUDA k = 0; k < UnrollingFactorColsSmemA; ++k)
            {
                const UINT32 col_idx_A = threadIdx.x + k * STEP_COLS_SINGLE_THREAD + idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem * SIZE_COLS_SMEM_A;          // Col index
                if (col_idx_A < SizeColsA_RowsB)
                {
                    // linear global memory index for matrix A
                    const UINT32 idx_A_RowMajor = row_idx_A * SizeColsA_RowsB + col_idx_A;

// load data from global memory to shared memory
                    s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A[threadIdx.y * SIZE_COLS_SMEM_A + (threadIdx.x + k * STEP_COLS_SINGLE_THREAD)] = pA[idx_A_RowMajor];
                }
            }

/* Case of matrix B: the shared memory has the same cols as BlockDim.x
            * Each 32 consecutive threads in a warp will handle "UnrollingFactorRowsSmemB" Rows of Matrix B
            */
            for (INDEX_CUDA k = 0; k < UnrollingFactorRowsSmemB; ++k)
            {
                const UINT32 row_idx_B = threadIdx.y + k * STEP_ROW_SINGLE_THREAD + idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem * SIZE_ROWS_SMEM_B;          // Row index
                if (row_idx_B < SizeColsA_RowsB)
                {
                    // linear global memory index for matrix B
                    const UINT32 idx_B_RowMajor = row_idx_B * SizeColsRes + col_idx_B;

// load data from global memory to shared memory
                    s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B[(threadIdx.y + k * STEP_ROW_SINGLE_THREAD) * SIZE_COLS_SMEM_B + threadIdx.x] = pB[idx_B_RowMajor];
                }
            }

// thread synchronization
            __syncthreads();

// Here we are in a single fixed BLOCK of SMEM handled by a single BlockDim
            for (INDEX_CUDA idx_element = 0; idx_element < commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB; ++idx_element)
            {
                // Load an entire row of A and entire col of B from their respective shared memory
                // This line is necessary otherwiose we must initialize the shared memory with zero
                if (idx_element + idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem * commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB < SizeColsA_RowsB)
                {
                    const unsigned int zero = 0;
                    if (threadIdx.y == zero && threadIdx.x == zero && blockIdx.x == zero && blockIdx.y == zero)
                    {
                        printf("idx_element :=%d idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := %d "
                               "---- threadIdx:(%d, %d, %d) blockIdx:(%d, %d, %d) blockDim:(%d, %d, %d) "
                               "gridDim:(%d, %d, %d) -- zero = %d \n", idx_element, idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem,
                               threadIdx.x, threadIdx.y, threadIdx.z,
                               blockIdx.x, blockIdx.y, blockIdx.z, blockDim.x, blockDim.y, blockDim.z,
                               gridDim.x, gridDim.y, gridDim.z, zero);
                    }

runningSum += s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A[threadIdx.y * commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB + idx_element]
                                  * s_PAD_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B[idx_element * commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB + threadIdx.x];
                }
            }
        }

/* The global index is then
        *  const INDEX_CUDA idx_byRow = iy * SizeCols + ix;
        */
        oRes[row_idx_Res * SizeColsRes + col_idx_Res] = runningSum;
    }
}

int main()
{
    // Matrix Info
    const INDEX_DEV bugZero = 128;

const INDEX_DEV SizeRowsA = bugZero;
    const INDEX_DEV SizeColsA = bugZero;
    const INDEX_DEV SizeRowsB = SizeColsA;
    const INDEX_DEV SizeColsB = bugZero;

const INDEX_DEV SIZE_COLS_Res = SizeColsB;
    const INDEX_DEV SIZE_ROWS_Res = SizeRowsA;

const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATTRIX_A = SizeColsA * SizeRowsA;
    const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_A = SIZE_MATTRIX_A * sizeof(REAL);

const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATTRIX_B = SizeColsB * SizeRowsB;
    const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_B = SIZE_MATTRIX_B * sizeof(REAL);

const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATTRIX_Res = SIZE_COLS_Res * SIZE_ROWS_Res;
    const INDEX_DEV SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_Res = SIZE_MATTRIX_Res * sizeof(REAL);

// Exce config
    const dim3 BlockDim(CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32, CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32);
    const FLOAT64 numBlocks_x = std::ceil(static_cast<double>(SIZE_COLS_Res) / BlockDim.x);
    const FLOAT64 numBlocks_y = std::ceil(static_cast<double>(SIZE_ROWS_Res) / BlockDim.y);
    const dim3 GridDim(static_cast<UINT32>(numBlocks_x), static_cast<UINT32>(numBlocks_y), 1);

std::cout << "\n ===========================================================================" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "Starting the kernel with:  " << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  BlockDim :               " << "(" << BlockDim.x << ", " << BlockDim.y << ", " << BlockDim.z << ")" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  GridDim :                " << "(" << GridDim.x << ", " << GridDim.y << ", " << GridDim.z << ")" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Matrix size A :          " << "(" << SizeRowsA << " x " << SizeColsA << ")" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Matrix size B :          " << "(" << SizeRowsB << " x " << SizeColsB << ")" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "  Matrix size C :          " << "(" << SIZE_ROWS_Res << " x " << SIZE_COLS_Res << ")" << std::endl;
    std::cout << "===========================================================================\n " << std::endl;

// Device pointers
    REAL * devPtr_A = nullptr;
    REAL * devPtr_B = nullptr;
    REAL * devPtr_Res = nullptr;

// Memory allocation on Device
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMalloc((void **)&devPtr_A, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_A));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMalloc((void **)&devPtr_B, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_B));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMalloc((void **)&devPtr_Res, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_Res));

// transfer data from host to device
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMemset(devPtr_A, 0, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_Res));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMemset(devPtr_B, 0, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_Res));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMemset(devPtr_Res, 0, SIZE_MATRIX_BYTES_Res));

// Use CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32 for the number of Cols in the shared memory Tile A to allow the access by a warp with 32 consecutive threads
    const UINT32 paddingValue = 0; /// GetPaddingValue();
    const INDEX_CUDA commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB = CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32;

// Setup the Rectangular Paddded Shared Memory for matrix A as  Rows x Cols
    const INDEX_CUDA sizeRows_Tile_Smem_A = CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32;
    const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A = BlockDim.y * (sizeRows_Tile_Smem_A + paddingValue);
    const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A_BYTES = SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A * sizeof(REAL);

// Setup the Rectangular Paddded Shared Memory for matrix B as Rows x Cols
    const INDEX_CUDA sizeCols_Tile_Smem_B = CONST_BLOCK_DIM_32;
    const INDEX_CUDA SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B_BYTES = (sizeCols_Tile_Smem_B + paddingValue) * BlockDim.x * sizeof(REAL);

// Manually set up two arrays in shared memory.
    const INDEX_CUDA start_idx_ptr_Smem_B = SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A;
    const INDEX_CUDA CONST_SMEM_TILE_BYTES = SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_B_BYTES + SIZE_DYN_SMEM_TILE_A_BYTES;
    MatrixProdPadDynSmem_k <<< GridDim, BlockDim, CONST_SMEM_TILE_BYTES >> > (devPtr_A, devPtr_B, SIZE_COLS_Res, SIZE_ROWS_Res, SizeColsA, commonSize_Smem_ColsA_RowsB, start_idx_ptr_Smem_B, devPtr_Res);

if (cudaPeekAtLastError() != cudaSuccess)
    {
        std::cout << "Error in CUDA \n " << std::endl;
    }

CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaFree(devPtr_A));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaFree(devPtr_B));
    CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaFree(devPtr_Res));

devPtr_A = nullptr;
    devPtr_B = nullptr;
    devPtr_Res = nullptr;

cudaDeviceReset();

return 0;
}

I got the same issue a couple of weeks ago for another kernel but the issue disappeared after 2 days (I did not do anything !!) so I think it is kind of radom behavior …

Can someone reproduce it and if yes, any ideas of what’s wrong here ?

Thanks,
kernel.cu (15.4 KB)

INDEX_CUDA is a size_t

on 64-bit platforms size_t is a 64-bit unsigned integer quantity

%d is an incorrect printf format specifier for a 64-bit integer quantity

%lu would be a better choice for the first two format specifiers in your printf statement

as noted below, on windows you should use %llu

Thank you for your reply.

I corrected my code by using %lu but I still get the same issue.

On the other hand, if I change the 64bits integer to 32-bits integer

typedef unsigned int                INDEX_CUDA;
typedef unsigned int                INDEX_DEV;

//typedef size_t                      INDEX_CUDA;
//typedef size_t                      INDEX_DEV;

then there is no issue anymore. Is it normal ?

%lu, like %d, is 32-bit on windows. use %llu. or just convert it to int before printing: int(varname)

I was using linux to test. In my case, %lu worked. As BulatZiganshin said, try %llu

When I change this from the code posted at the top of the thread:

printf("idx_element :=%d idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := %d "

to this:

printf("idx_element :=%llu idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := %llu "

my printout goes from this:

idx_element :=0 idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := 0 ---- threadIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockDim:(0, 0, 32) gridDim:(32, 1, 4) -- zero = 4

to this:

idx_element :=0 idx_Chunk_Copy_Smem := 0 ---- threadIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockIdx:(0, 0, 0) blockDim:(32, 32, 1) gridDim:(4, 4, 1) -- zero = 0

txbob, take a look at “64-bit data models” table in 64-bit computing - Wikipedia - it’s a well-known source of incompatibility between Linux and Windows

Now it’s OK using %llu !

Thanks guys, now I can focus on debuging the real issue in my code.

It may sound really strange but when I try %llu in my original project, it does not work (I mean I get the weird output as here) but converting it to unsigned int before printing always works.