You are installing an older driver version. The system...

first window in the CUDA toolkit setup shows this warning:

“You are installing an older driver version. The system may install a newer version when the computer is docked or undocked.”

should I worry about this?
also how can I search on this forum?

Thank you.

1 Like

not sure why you are installing an older driver.
deselect the option to install the driver and keep your newer driver

to search, look at the top black bar on this page. Over to the right there is a magnifying glass shape. Click on it.

Thank you very much for your reply. I choose

• windows
  • x86_64
  • exe (local)

from this webpage

and I ran the setup file to install CUDA. I have Visual studio 2015 already installed on my system. and that message showed on the first window.
I will try to install everything under CUDA option only, after selecting custom installation instead of express.

1 Like

Even I am having the same problem after downloading the CUDA Toolkit by making following selections according to my laptop:
Windows
x86_64
exe(local)
The GPU is GeForce GTX 1070.

Please help.

Thanks,
Siddhartha

1 Like

I am also seeing the same issue, see attached screen shot.
That message comes up when the installer started and is on the “System Check”, so we have not even accepted the license agreement yet.

I proceeded by choosing to not install the older display driver packaged in the CUDA toolkit, and keep my newer drivers. So this does not seem to be a blocking issue.
cuda-install-error.png

3 Likes

Having the same problem here.

I am installing Cuda 10.1 on Windows 10 with the latest driver for my Geforce GTX 1060. It turns out that this error message is displayed at the wrong time.

Click continue, choose Custom Installation, and uncheck drivers, geforce experience, and physx.

IMHO, this error message should show after someone picks Express Installation or Custom Installation but keep the drivers.

5 Likes

Just had the same error too.

1 Like

I have the same issue

For anyone else who finds this forum, accept the warning that it will install an older driver version and then pick custom install on the next screen. Each item shows new version to install and current version installed. Deselect anything that shows an older version than current.

3 Likes

Thank you. This worked for me. Basically the toolkit tries to install a bunch of stuff including your low level nvidia driver. By ignoring the warning and then clicking custom as eric mentioned, there is a columnar display showing the current version and what its trying to install. Simply uncheck the ones you don’t wish to go back on.

The reason this might have happened is because you may have independently upgraded your driver version using the Goforce Experience app using the driver tab.