Looking for CUDA compatibility chart for nvidia drivers

I’m having trouble installing CUDA for my setup due to a driver compatibility issue with nvidia driver version 384.111. I attempted to install CUDA 9.1, but I do not have the nvidia driver compatible with 9.1 (seen https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1027872/problem-installing-cuda-9-1-on-ubuntu-16-04/). I then attempted to install 9.0 from the repo, but that indicated that I needed version 387.

I need to install the highest compatible cuda version, but I cannot find any documentation that shows which CUDA versions are compatible with their corresponding NVIDIA driver versions. Am I just missing this resource? I’ve looked in the installation manuals, the download pages, the release notes…but came up blank. It seems like this chart should be easy to find…

If it helps, I’ll include my specs below:
OS: Debian Linux Buster (yes, I know CUDA isn’t officially supported on Debian)
Card: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia Driver version: 384.111, installed from official Debian archives

lspci |grep -i VGA output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)

nvidia-smi output:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 384.111                Driver Version: 384.111                   |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 108...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
|  0%   45C    P2    53W / 280W |    527MiB / 11169MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

Thanks in advance for any help.

Your 384.111 driver will work with CUDA 9.

If you’re following the NVIDIA install instructions with the nvidia deb using a deb install, then when you get to the point of:

apt-get install cuda

just do:

apt-get install cuda-toolkit-9.0

that will leave your 384.111 install alone.

If your 384.111 driver install was not done correctly, then you may still have trouble.

And you can certainly use CUDA 9.1 with your GTX 1080. CUDA 9.1 is not compatible with your 384.111 driver, but if you install a 390.12 driver, it will work.

Thanks for the info, explicitly installing cuda-toolkit-9.0 did the trick.

The Buster archives seems to only have 348.111, so I’ll be fine to wait until they bring out 390 to upgrade to CUDA 9.1.

I’d still love to see a compatibility chart, but thanks!

compatibility charts:

[url]ubuntu - What is the correct version of CUDA for my nvidia driver? - Stack Overflow

[url]CUDA compute capability requirements - Stack Overflow

My driver version is 398.26. Will cuda 9.0 work properly with it. Hardware is GTX 1050. On installing on windows, it is showing not found compatible driver. Will it work anyway? I want to use tensorflow with cuda 9.0

Yes, it will work.

I don’t see Nvidia Graphics Driver 388.13 on the Cuda 9.0 compatibility chart.

We have noticed daily crashes since installing the new Graphics Card with driver 388.13 last week but I’m looking for confirmation of compatibility.

Thank you.

Updated compatibility chart is here:
[url]https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/cuda-compatibility/index.html[/url]

2 Likes

The driver compatibility chart and also more elaboration about driver compatibility and minimum supported compute capability for each CUDA release has been summarized in this article: CUDA Compatibility of NVIDIA Display / GPU Drivers | Amikelive | Technology Blog

1 Like