"Cannot step because there is no current CUDA thread."

I met a problem when I using CUDA debugging. I set breakpoint as the user guide ver5.4 said and rebuild CUDAsample: matrixMul.cu. Finally, I started CUDA debugging. But I can’t inspect any value of Variable while the comment showing “Cannot step because there is no current CUDA thread”. How could I fix this problem to watch
the variable?
My GPU is Tesla K20C, compute capability: 3.5

Hi,

Can you describe your steps to reproduce the error ?

like which nsight version ? which driver ?
like which line to set the breakpont ?
etc

visual studio 2015 & Nsight VSE 5.2 & Win7-64bit
breakpoint set at matrixMul.cu line 61 “int aStep=BLOCK_SIZE;”, like the user guide said.
After rebuilding project, I opened the Nsight user properties. In the “Launch” window, I choose launch external program(<- I don’t know why, user guide doesn’t talk about this option, just shows in figure) and replace the “Connection name” with the name of my computer. Then starting CUDA debugging, I opened the window “CUDA Info 1”
in order to inspect some variables, but I can’t see any thing.
The output showed “Cannot step because there is no current CUDA thread.”
cmd window showed
[b]"[Matrix Mutiply Using CUDA]-Starting…
GPU Device 0: “Tesla K20c” with compute capability 3.5

MatrixA<320,320>, MatrixB<640,320>
Computing result using CUDA Kernel…
done" [/b]

I still don’t know why, please help to figure out.

Hi,

I tried with your setup environment as VSE5.2 win7 bit64 on VS2015, but still can’t reproduce your issue.
From your description, you choose launch external program, please try default setting or update VSE to 5.5 the latest version as 5.2 is old and it really has some problem in ‘launch external program’ option , but we have fixed it in new version.

Hope this can help you , if this 2 way still can’t solve your problem, if possible can you provide your environment via some remote tools, such as VNC.

Thanks.

Hi,

I tried with your setup environment as VSE5.2 win7 bit64 on VS2015, but still can’t reproduce your issue.
From your description, you choose launch external program, please try default setting or update VSE to 5.5 the latest version as 5.2 is old and it really has some problem in ‘launch external program’ option , but we have fixed it in new version.

Hope this can help you , if this 2 way still can’t solve your problem, if possible can you provide your environment via some remote tools, such as VNC.

Thanks.