Trouble installing Jetpack 3.2 (seemingly recursive dependency issues)

I’m running into problems installing OpenCV 3.3.1 on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine.

During the install process, I get an error saying:

dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Which then tells me to run this command in another terminal:

sudo apt install /home/user/Downloads/jetpack_download/libopencv_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/user/Downloads/jetpack_download/libopencv-dev_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/user/Downloads/jetpack_download/libopencv-python_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/user/Downloads/jetpack_download/libopencv-samples_3.3.1_amd64.deb

When I run that command, it fails and says there were dependency issues and to run sudo apt-get -f install.

When I do that, the command works. Then if I re-run the Jetpack installer, it fails with the same error.

After this, I looked more closely into the text leading up to the error messages, and these are the unmet dependencies:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcvaux-dev : Depends: libopencv-core-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-imgproc-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-features2d-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-calib3d-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-objdetect-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-legacy-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-video-dev but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-contrib-dev but it is not installed
libhighgui-dev : Depends: libopencv-highgui-dev but it is not installed
libopencv-dev : Depends: libopencv-core-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-ml-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-imgproc-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-video-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-objdetect-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-highgui-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-calib3d-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-flann-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-features2d-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-legacy-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-contrib-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-ts-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-photo-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-videostab-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-stitching-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-gpu-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-superres-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libopencv-ocl-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed
Depends: libcv-dev (= 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) but it is not installed

Running apt-get -f install installs these dependencies, but the OpenCV install still fails. The source of the problem seems to be much more unusual, and it’s something I don’t have the first clue how to fix.

There are messages in the install process that say “dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested”. These messages appear to show that the installer is removing the packages in the above list while installing packages that depend on them.

I’ve been using Ubuntu for years, but I’ve never seen anything quite like this. I’d appreciate any guidance that you can offer me.

Looks weird…These opencv-2.4.9 are not normal…Have you installed some extra packages with dependancies to this old version? I’ve seen opencl requesting these…Maybe libcvaux-dev is requiring many -dev packages only available for 2.4.9.

BTW, if you want to install opencv-3.3.1 from JetPack-3.2, you may retry launching JetPack Post-Install.

However, provided version in JetPack3.2 has no CUDA nor gstreamer support, so I’d advice to get opencv3 sources and build your own version enabling CUDA and gstreamer-1.0 support.

I do have the same issue.

I’ve got the same problem, FYI.

This let me advance.

apt-get purge libhighgui-dev

I have to same issue and I am struggling to solve it.
It is same like a common problem. And this is not any effect way to contact with developer of JetPack.
And I will try to fellow @mochanshrestha

the mothod of mochanshrestha works. And I finish to install opencv3.3.1 but I meet another problem:

Installing VisionWorks 1.6 failed.

Return Code: 1
Error installing libvisionworks libvisionworks-dev libvisionworks-samples  to host, please check /home/galileo/Workspace/JetPackTK1/_installer/logs/visionworks_host.log for more details

Thanks, It works for me

Hi,

I can help contact the developer of Jetpack. We notice this issue might occur if your host have pre-installed opencv3.3.1. Are you guys all in such case?

WayneWWW, Thanks.
No, I am not. It seemed like there is pre-installed opencv2.9

Yes, that was the case for me, I had opencv3.3.1 installed already.

sudo apt-get purge libhighgui-dev fixed it

zjh.2008.09,

Do you know where is this opencv2.9 from? Did you once install Jetpack3.1/3.0/2.3?

I am getting the same problem as above, and I see while running the following manually:
$ sudo apt install -f ./libopencv-dev_3.3.1_amd64.deb

Note, selecting ‘libopencv-dev’ instead of ‘./libopencv-dev_3.3.1_amd64.deb’
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libdc1394-22-dev libgtkglext1 libilmbase-dev libopencv-calib3d2.4v5 libopencv-contrib2.4v5
libopencv-features2d2.4v5 libopencv-flann2.4v5 libopencv-gpu2.4v5 libopencv-highgui2.4v5
libopencv-legacy2.4v5 libopencv-ml2.4v5 libopencv-objdetect2.4v5 libopencv-ocl2.4v5
libopencv-photo2.4v5 libopencv-stitching2.4v5 libopencv-superres2.4v5 libopencv-ts2.4v5
libopencv-video2.4v5 libopencv-videostab2.4v5 libopencv2.4-java libopencv2.4-jni libopenexr-dev
libpangox-1.0-0 libraw1394-dev libraw1394-tools
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libcv-dev libcvaux-dev libopencv-calib3d-dev libopencv-contrib-dev libopencv-core-dev
libopencv-features2d-dev libopencv-flann-dev libopencv-gpu-dev libopencv-highgui-dev
libopencv-imgproc-dev libopencv-legacy-dev libopencv-ml-dev libopencv-objdetect-dev
libopencv-ocl-dev libopencv-photo-dev libopencv-stitching-dev libopencv-superres-dev
libopencv-ts-dev libopencv-video-dev libopencv-videostab-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libopencv-dev

I think that is what is causing the problem.

Hello,

I got a similar issue when I upgraded to jetpack 3.2 (previously Jetpack 3.1) :

When I tried to install opencv 3.1 :

Unpacking libopencv-dev (3.3.1) over (2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/user/Software/Jetpack/jetpack_download/libopencv-dev_3.3.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libcvaux-dev
trying to overwrite '/usr/include/opencv/cvaux.hpp', which is also in package libcvaux-dev:amd64 2.4.9.1+dfsg-1.5ubuntu1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Then after doing instructions given in this other topic, it allows me to remove libcvaux-dev when I install opencv 3.1 again.

I also had the same problem because I have opencv 3.4.1 already installed in my machine.

I solved this problem with the following commands:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get purge libhighgui-dev
sudo apt-get autoremove

This worked for me. Thanks!

I have got the same problem. When I installed jetpack 3.3 (I did try - 3.2.1) I’m seeing a problem with installation OpenCV. Plz… give me advice what have to do with it. ???

Installing OpenCV 3.3.1 failed.

Return Code: 1
Error: libopencv-python libopencv-samples  cannot be installed on host. Please manually run following command in terminal to install packages before continuing:
    sudo apt install /home/rvjenya/Downloads/JetPack3.3/jetpack_download/libopencv_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/rvjenya/Downloads/JetPack3.3/jetpack_download/libopencv-dev_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/rvjenya/Downloads/JetPack3.3/jetpack_download/libopencv-python_3.3.1_amd64.deb /home/rvjenya/Downloads/JetPack3.3/jetpack_download/libopencv-samples_3.3.1_amd64.deb

it solved my problem