Another Nsight Monitor crash with 5.5

Hi,

I am trying to use Nsight 5.5 to look at a simple Vulkan example. However the NSight Monitor keeps crashing. I see the message it has connected to the localhost, followed by a message saying the monitor has aborted abnormally and then a message saying the monitor disconnected from localhost.

Looking at the crash mini dump I see the following:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF980BDCEDC in Nsight.Monitor.exe.11824.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000. occurred

This also happens with Nsight 5.4, but 5.3 seems to work ok.

My configuration is:
Intel i7-7700
NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 10.0.16299
NVidia driver 390.77

Regards

Tim.

Hi,

I’m sorry for the problem you met. Can you please provide more information?

• Did the issue only happen with vulkan samples? Did it happen with DX or OpenGL samples?
  • Did the issue happen with other vulkan samples? such as Vulkan SDK samples, link is https://vulkan.lunarg.com/.
  • Is your machine desktop or laptop?
  • Can we have your sample please? then we can identify the issue quickly.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I did as you suggested and built the c++ cube application from the Vulkan SDK demos. It renders ok and I can debug it ok. However the same problem occurs with NSight. As soon as I start graphics debugging the NSight Monitor opens a connection to the local host, then crashes and closes the connection.

I am using Visual Studio 15.5.5 and Vulkan 1.0.65.0. Compiling in 64 bit mode. My machine is a desktop machine.

So I guess it is something particular about my setup/hardware that this version of NSight doesn’t like. I can send you my source code if you like but given the standard cube demo also fails for me I don’t think this would help you. I have not tried any openGL examples yet, but can do if you think it would help. I don’t have any experience with DX so that might take longer to test out.

Any thoughts as to what this might be would be helpful.

Regards
Tim.

Hi tim.j.hutchinson,

Thanks for your feedback.
Can you use driver 390.65 or 388.59 and check it again? the driver can be found here Official Advanced Driver Search | NVIDIA
I can’t reproduce the issue locally with an internal nsight build. If the issue still happened, please wait for the release build and then check it again.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi Letitia,

I have tried the following drivers: 390.77, 390.65 and 388.13 (which is I believe the version that came with my machine). The problem exists with all three versions of the driver.

I have reverted back to 390.77 and NSight 5.3, as this combination works for me.

Thank you for your help. I will try the next version when it is released and let you know if the problem still persists for me.

Regards

Tim.