Communication options on TX1

Hello,

I just started working with Jetson TX1 board and wondering what options (or protocols) are available on this module for communicating with other devices. Is it possible to use something like ZigBee communication?

Any comments or help on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi simranpreetkaurdhanoa21, the primary off-board communication interfaces that come with the Jetson TX1 are as follows:

• Gigabit Ethernet
  • WiFi / Bluetooth
  • USB3 / USB2
  • PCIe
  • SPI
  • I2C
  • UART / RS-232

There are others as well, but these are typically the popular ones. If you like ZigBee, you should be able to get that working too with an external dongle.

Hi

Thanks for your quick response.

I am actually looking for wireless communication options on Jetson TX1, so in that case, WiFi is the only option out of the ones you listed, I believe. I am also concerned about the security of data. Could you please advice on the level of security and encryption that can be achieved through WiFi?

Are there any networking libraries available on Jetson TX1 for communication?

Regarding ZigBee, could you please provide a brief description about what kind of dongle do I need to use?

Would it be possible to implement LoRa on the TX1 for wireless communication, since this technology is getting more popular these days?

Best Regards,
Simran

Just FYI, as soon as you go to strong encryption the use of low-bandwidth will probably be an issue (e.g., ZigBee). Under WiFi you have two issues…the first is the security of the connection itself (such as whether someone can get in to your system or monitor communications in such a way that the connection can be used by them), and second whether the data itself is secure. For the latter purpose you can simply use an ssh tunnel, or use some sort of TLS-enabled program. Securing of the actual WiFi is more or less just a general topic in Linux and not specific to the Jetson. Any use of ssh is also well documented and common. In the case of TLS you have some programming requirements ahead of you if you choose that.

My application includes sending real-time data from TX1 to some other device and also from one TX1 board to another one. But I am not sure how much bandwidth would I need for data transfer.

Also, my another question was are there any networking libraries installed on the Jetson TX1 itself for low-level network communication? I am planning to use ENet for this purpose. Any comments on that?

Could you please provide some links on how to use ssh tunnel for WiFi? Would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Simran

It is a complete Linux environment. Most anything which you can get on a desktop is available on the Jetson, but you’d likely have to install the library and/or kernel module for the feature. I’m my desktop system has drivers for every video card made, and for every 10Gbase-T NIC…despite having only one. Embedded systems don’t install everything by default. Find out what a desktop system requirement is, and then probably the same feature can be enabled on the Jetson.

One exception of course is anything which is CPU architecture dependent.

I couldn’t tell you about WiFi, I stay away from it. ssh tunnel setup is a very common thing, you’ll see a lot of hits from this search:
[url]linux set up ssh tunnel - Google Search

ssh won’t care if it is over wired or wireless. You will find added latency and overhead when using WiFi.

Hello simran!
Can you to connect someone LPWAN module with Jetson, what do you use? I need to connect a module Lora but, i can’t.

Best regards!