NVIDIA Jetson TX2i Module for Industrial Environments

External Media

NVIDIA is pleased to announce the Jetson TX2i module for industrial environments.

The rugged design, small form factor and power envelope make the Jetson TX2i module ideal for high performance edge computing devices such as industrial robots, machine vision cameras and portable medical equipment.

Designed for reliable operation in harsh industrial environments, Jetson TX2i provides long operating life (MTBF) with support for ECC memory and comes with extended warranty and sales lifecycle. Jetson TX2 and Jetson TX2i are pin compatible and use the same 400 pin connector. For further specifications, please refer to the documentation available for Jetson TX2i in the Jetson Download Center.

Please use the Jetson TX2 forum to discuss this new version for industrial environments.

Availability
Jetson TX2i will be available starting April, 2018 from our distributors. Note there will be no developer kit specifically for Jetson TX2i, but the module can be used with existing Jetson TX1 and Jetson TX2 Developer Kits.

FAQs:

This is very exciting, especially the 10-year lifecycle! Can’t wait to get my hands on one!

HI Nvidia,

The new TX2i have any special/extra compute capability like processing 8K real-time 30fps …etc or any/ improvement on efficiency for read/write data in buffer like RAW frames …etc

Hi meRaza, the Jetson TX2i module is based on the same TX2 processor, with higher build quality. It has similar processing capabilities as TX2.

You state the following:

Does this mean every TX2i module will come with ECC DDR4 memory? Or will it be an special?

Edit: Nevermind, found it in the datasheet:

Also noteworthy, the performance for the LPDDR4 is lower on the TX2i module:

Thank you for pointing this out, this is a typo in the datasheet, it should read 51.9 GB/s for TX2i.

Is 51.9 GB/s with ECC enabled or is it always running at a slightly lower speed?

Thanks

Hi Jimmy, that’s the maximum of the memory on the TX2i regardless of ECC being enabled or not, thanks.

Hi Dusty, where i can check that the JETSON TX2i is automotive grade?

BEst Regards

Gabriel

Hi gabriel.gianic7m2i, it is not certified for automotive, for that you should use our NVIDIA DRIVE platform. Jetson TX2i is intended for industrial environments.

Hello,
I plan to use the TX2i in a polar field environment (-40C). I plan to run some tests in the lab (cold chamber). Are there any tests that I can run before and after the cold soak tests to see if any components have failed or operating in a degraded mode?

-Satish.

Hi Satish, you could try maximizing the clocks in software (via nvpmodel or jetson_clocks tools) and running a demanding program like CUDA n-body sample or DNN inferencing. You could run nvgstcapture to test MIPI CSI camera interface, or plug in a USB3 camera like the ZED to test the USB connectivity. You may also want to run an Ethernet bandwidth/latency test like iperf.

Hello Dusty,
Thank for the response. I am looking for something more comprehensive and detailed. Let me explain with a hypothetical scenario. Let’s say that 1% of the memory is damaged if TX2i is operated at -40C for 100 hours. A simple memory allocation/deallocation and data transfer test may not detect it unless all of the memory is tested. I would write such test myself. But it will be time consuming and not extensive to test every subsystem in every condition. I am sure that nVidia tests every unit that comes out from its factory floor for systems or manufacturing defects that would detect damaged memory cel.

Such a test suite will be ideal as I can run the tests in varying environmental conditions. I can test my TX2i units in before and after environmental conditions.

satishzlqah, the NVIDIA factory testing code is specialized and only for internal use, sorry about that.

Hi Dusty,

Does a brand new Nvidia Jetson tx2i board comes with a pre-installed jetpack and so ubuntu OS on it?

Thanks,

Hi nghouaiel, the production modules (including TX2i) do not come pre-flashed with JetPack, so they will need flashed upon receiving them. The devkits do come from the factory with L4T flashed (except for Nano devkit where you need to flash your SD card)