CUDA 9.1 setup and NVIDIA 390 driver not found on Ubuntu 16.04
Hello all, I have Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.15.4-041504-generic I am trying to setup my development environment for CAFFE and I am following the instructions from here: http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html#runfile-installation I am trying to install from the run file because it is recommended on the CAFFE website: http://caffe.berkeleyvision.org/install_apt.html Is the following sentence from the installation guide of Caffe still correct? "The NVIDIA package tends to follow more recent library and driver versions" I am installing the CUDA 9.1 and the NVidia driver separately. For CUDA, I installed using the instructions and followed the post-installation with no problems. After the CUDA installation finishes, for the Nvidia driver, I did this: [code] sudo apt-get purge nvidia* sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers sudo apt-get update [/code] Then I pressed crtl+alt+F2 to enter TTY [code] sudo service lightdm stop sudo apt-get install nvidia-390 [/code] I reboot after seeing the console says the installation for nvidia-390 passed all the test and was successful. I believe I installed and setup the CUDA 9.1 correctly because I get the following [code] jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~/NVIDIA_CUDA-9.1_Samples/bin/x86_64/linux/release$ nvcc -V nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver Copyright (c) 2005-2017 NVIDIA Corporation Built on Fri_Nov__3_21:07:56_CDT_2017 Cuda compilation tools, release 9.1, V9.1.85 [/code] And I was able to make(compile) in the NVIDIA_CUDA-9.1_Samples folder However, I believe the NVidia-390 driver failed because when I run the deviceQuery from sample I get: [code] ./deviceQuery Starting... CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking) cudaGetDeviceCount returned 35 -> CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version Result = FAIL [/code] Then I checked: [code] lspci | grep -i nvidia 02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] (rev ff) dpkg -l | grep nvidia ii nvidia-390 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA binary driver - version 390.25 ii nvidia-opencl-icd-390 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenCL ICD ii nvidia-prime 0.8.2 amd64 Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime ii nvidia-settings 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics drive [/code] I also tried to reinstall the nvidia-390 driver multiple times with purge, tty, then install, but I still can't seem to have my system configure to use the graphic card I don't know what is a good way of checking it, so i evaluate by this: [code] lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:591b] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:5066] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 138 Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] I/O ports at e000 [size=64] [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: i915 Kernel modules: i915 00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model [8086:1911] Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake Gaussian Mixture Model [17aa:5066] [/code] and [i]lsmod | grep nvidia[/i] gives me nothing People seem to have nvidia-smi, but i don't have it for some reason. Is this something that needs to be installed externally? Please give me detailed instructions of what you need and what I should do as I am new to Linux, CUDA and driver installations. Thanks in advance. Best, JC
Hello all,

I have Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.15.4-041504-generic

I am trying to setup my development environment for CAFFE and I am following the instructions from here:
http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html#runfile-installation

I am trying to install from the run file because it is recommended on the CAFFE website:

http://caffe.berkeleyvision.org/install_apt.html

Is the following sentence from the installation guide of Caffe still correct?
"The NVIDIA package tends to follow more recent library and driver versions"

I am installing the CUDA 9.1 and the NVidia driver separately.

For CUDA, I installed using the instructions and followed the post-installation with no problems.

After the CUDA installation finishes, for the Nvidia driver, I did this:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update

Then I pressed crtl+alt+F2 to enter TTY
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo apt-get install nvidia-390

I reboot after seeing the console says the installation for nvidia-390 passed all the test and was successful.

I believe I installed and setup the CUDA 9.1 correctly because I get the following
jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~/NVIDIA_CUDA-9.1_Samples/bin/x86_64/linux/release$ nvcc -V
nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2017 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Fri_Nov__3_21:07:56_CDT_2017
Cuda compilation tools, release 9.1, V9.1.85

And I was able to make(compile) in the NVIDIA_CUDA-9.1_Samples folder

However, I believe the NVidia-390 driver failed because when I run the deviceQuery from sample I get:
./deviceQuery Starting...

CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

cudaGetDeviceCount returned 35
-> CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version
Result = FAIL

Then I checked:
lspci | grep -i nvidia
02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] (rev ff)

dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-390 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA binary driver - version 390.25
ii nvidia-opencl-icd-390 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii nvidia-prime 0.8.2 amd64 Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii nvidia-settings 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu16.04.1 amd64 Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics drive

I also tried to reinstall the nvidia-390 driver multiple times with purge, tty, then install, but I still can't seem to have my system configure to use the graphic card
I don't know what is a good way of checking it, so i evaluate by this:

lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:591b] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:5066]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 138
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at e000 [size=64]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model [8086:1911]
Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake Gaussian Mixture Model [17aa:5066]

and lsmod | grep nvidia gives me nothing
People seem to have nvidia-smi, but i don't have it for some reason. Is this something that needs to be installed externally?

Please give me detailed instructions of what you need and what I should do as I am new to Linux, CUDA and driver installations.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
JC

Posted 03/13/2018 03:08 AM   
In my experience, this: [code]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers[/code] does not give you a driver that is suitable for CUDA usage. That ppa repository is not maintained by NVIDIA. There are plenty of writeups on these forums about how to install CUDA correctly.
In my experience, this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers

does not give you a driver that is suitable for CUDA usage. That ppa repository is not maintained by NVIDIA.

There are plenty of writeups on these forums about how to install CUDA correctly.

Posted 03/13/2018 03:29 AM   
I seem to be having a related problem here as well. I am using Cuda 9.0 with Nvidia-387 on Ubuntu 16.04 but get the same error: [code]cudnnGetVersion() : 7005 , CUDNN_VERSION from cudnn.h : 7005 (7.0.5) Cuda failurer version : GCC 5.4.0 Error: CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version [/code] When running nvidia-smi command I get: [code]nvidia-smi: command not found [/code] The binaries exist however in /usr/lib/nvidia-387/bin. After adding this to the PATH and also changing the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH I can run nvidia-smi but get different problem: [code]NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.[/code]
I seem to be having a related problem here as well. I am using Cuda 9.0 with Nvidia-387 on Ubuntu 16.04
but get the same error:

cudnnGetVersion() : 7005 , CUDNN_VERSION from cudnn.h : 7005 (7.0.5)
Cuda failurer version : GCC 5.4.0
Error: CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version

When running nvidia-smi command I get:

nvidia-smi: command not found

The binaries exist however in /usr/lib/nvidia-387/bin. After adding this to the PATH and also changing the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH I can run nvidia-smi but get different problem:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Posted 03/13/2018 01:43 PM   
@txbob I think my CUDA is installed correctly because I can compile the CUDA samples and run the executables after. The problem I am having is with installing the nvidia driver. Since you said the ppa is not maintained by the official, I have removed it and download a .run file for nvidia-390 from [url]http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us[/url] and looked at this instruction [url]http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/390.42/README/installdriver.html#StartingTheInst6624e[/url] I used ctrl+alt+F2 and disabled lightdm. I ran the run file and the installation failed because my gcc version is 5.4 and the driver requires with gcc v7.5. [b]Is there a way around this?[/b] So i went back the old route and tried the PPA method again. after installation, I tried lsmod | grep nvidia, it still returns nothing (I assume this is how you check if the driver is running) then I did this: [code] jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ sudo prime-select nvidia Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: ['mesa', 'nvidia-390'] Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: ['mesa-egl', 'nvidia-390'] Info: selecting nvidia-390 for the nvidia profile update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode [/code] and then I can finally see something when tabbing nvidia- [code] jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ nvidia- nvidia-bug-report.sh nvidia-debugdump nvidia-settings nvidia-cuda-mps-control nvidia-detector nvidia-smi nvidia-cuda-mps-server nvidia-persistenced nvidia-xconfig [/code] I want to verify again if the driver is running, so: [code] jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ nvidia-smi NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running. [/code] [b]Can you tell me from the information provided, is the driver installed? It is not running I think And how do I run the driver as default?[/b]
@txbob

I think my CUDA is installed correctly because I can compile the CUDA samples and run the executables after.

The problem I am having is with installing the nvidia driver.
Since you said the ppa is not maintained by the official, I have removed it and download a .run file for nvidia-390 from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
and looked at this instruction http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/390.42/README/installdriver.html#StartingTheInst6624e

I used ctrl+alt+F2 and disabled lightdm.

I ran the run file and the installation failed because my gcc version is 5.4 and the driver requires with gcc v7.5. Is there a way around this?

So i went back the old route and tried the PPA method again.
after installation, I tried lsmod | grep nvidia, it still returns nothing (I assume this is how you check if the driver is running)

then I did this:
jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ sudo prime-select nvidia
Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: ['mesa', 'nvidia-390']
Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: ['mesa-egl', 'nvidia-390']
Info: selecting nvidia-390 for the nvidia profile
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode

and then I can finally see something when tabbing nvidia-
jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ nvidia-
nvidia-bug-report.sh nvidia-debugdump nvidia-settings
nvidia-cuda-mps-control nvidia-detector nvidia-smi
nvidia-cuda-mps-server nvidia-persistenced nvidia-xconfig

I want to verify again if the driver is running, so:
jkuo@jkuo-ThinkPad:~$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Can you tell me from the information provided, is the driver installed? It is not running I think
And how do I run the driver as default?

Posted 03/13/2018 07:12 PM   
[quote=""] I ran the run file and the installation failed because my gcc version is 5.4 and the driver requires with gcc v7.5. [/quote] It is not true that the driver requires gcc v7.5
said:

I ran the run file and the installation failed because my gcc version is 5.4 and the driver requires with gcc v7.5.

It is not true that the driver requires gcc v7.5

Posted 03/13/2018 07:40 PM   
ok, so i can't get the error that shows the gcc version again. So I did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 uname -r give me my kernel version: 4.13.0-36-generic before installation I followed the blacklist nouveau instructions and did a [code]lsmod | grep nouveau[/code] to confirm that nothing shows up, then i reboot at log-in i used ctrl+alt+F2 and sudo service lightdm stop Then I sudo sh the run file, the installation did not work and below is my installation log: [code] nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' creation time: Tue Mar 13 21:45:09 2018 installer version: 390.42 PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin nvidia-installer command line: ./nvidia-installer Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface -> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8. -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 390.42. -> Running distribution scripts executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'... -> done. -> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation) -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc". -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build' -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build' -> Performing Compiler check. -> Performing Dom0 check. -> Performing Xen check. -> Performing PREEMPT_RT check. -> Performing vgpu_kvm check. -> Cleaning kernel module build directory. executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 clean NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build"'... rm -f -r conftest make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic' make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic' -> Building kernel modules executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build"'... make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic' SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kernel.o SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-kernel.o CONFTEST: INIT_WORK CONFTEST: remap_pfn_range CONFTEST: hash__remap_4k_pfn CONFTEST: follow_pfn CONFTEST: vmap CONFTEST: set_pages_uc CONFTEST: set_memory_uc CONFTEST: set_memory_array_uc CONFTEST: change_page_attr CONFTEST: pci_get_class CONFTEST: pci_choose_state CONFTEST: vm_insert_page CONFTEST: acpi_device_id CONFTEST: acquire_console_sem CONFTEST: console_lock CONFTEST: kmem_cache_create CONFTEST: on_each_cpu CONFTEST: smp_call_function CONFTEST: acpi_evaluate_integer CONFTEST: ioremap_cache CONFTEST: ioremap_wc CONFTEST: acpi_walk_namespace CONFTEST: pci_domain_nr CONFTEST: pci_dma_mapping_error CONFTEST: sg_alloc_table CONFTEST: sg_init_table CONFTEST: pci_get_domain_bus_and_slot CONFTEST: get_num_physpages CONFTEST: efi_enabled CONFTEST: proc_create_data CONFTEST: pde_data CONFTEST: proc_remove CONFTEST: pm_vt_switch_required CONFTEST: xen_ioemu_inject_msi CONFTEST: phys_to_dma CONFTEST: get_dma_ops CONFTEST: write_cr4 CONFTEST: of_find_node_by_phandle CONFTEST: of_get_property CONFTEST: of_node_to_nid CONFTEST: pnv_pci_get_npu_dev CONFTEST: for_each_online_node CONFTEST: node_end_pfn CONFTEST: pci_bus_address CONFTEST: pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device CONFTEST: pci_remove_bus_device CONFTEST: request_threaded_irq CONFTEST: register_cpu_notifier CONFTEST: cpuhp_setup_state CONFTEST: dma_map_resource CONFTEST: backlight_device_register CONFTEST: register_acpi_notifier CONFTEST: timer_setup CONFTEST: remap_page_range CONFTEST: address_space_init_once CONFTEST: kbasename CONFTEST: fatal_signal_pending CONFTEST: list_cut_position CONFTEST: vzalloc CONFTEST: wait_on_bit_lock_argument_count CONFTEST: bitmap_clear CONFTEST: usleep_range CONFTEST: radix_tree_empty CONFTEST: radix_tree_replace_slot CONFTEST: drm_dev_unref CONFTEST: drm_reinit_primary_mode_group CONFTEST: drm_atomic_set_mode_for_crtc CONFTEST: drm_atomic_clean_old_fb CONFTEST: get_user_pages_remote CONFTEST: get_user_pages CONFTEST: drm_gem_object_lookup CONFTEST: drm_atomic_state_free CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_gem_prime_res_obj CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_disable_all CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_set_config CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_connector_dpms CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_of_node_to_nid CONFTEST: i2c_adapter CONFTEST: pm_message_t CONFTEST: irq_handler_t CONFTEST: acpi_device_ops CONFTEST: acpi_op_remove CONFTEST: outer_flush_all CONFTEST: proc_dir_entry CONFTEST: scatterlist CONFTEST: sg_table CONFTEST: file_operations CONFTEST: vm_operations_struct CONFTEST: atomic_long_type CONFTEST: pci_save_state CONFTEST: file_inode CONFTEST: task_struct CONFTEST: kuid_t CONFTEST: dma_ops CONFTEST: dma_map_ops CONFTEST: noncoherent_swiotlb_dma_ops CONFTEST: vm_fault_present CONFTEST: vm_fault_has_address CONFTEST: kernel_write CONFTEST: strnstr CONFTEST: iterate_dir CONFTEST: kstrtoull CONFTEST: backlight_properties_type CONFTEST: fault_flags CONFTEST: atomic64_type CONFTEST: address_space CONFTEST: backing_dev_info CONFTEST: mm_context_t CONFTEST: vm_ops_fault_removed_vma_arg CONFTEST: pnv_npu2_init_context CONFTEST: drm_bus_present CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_bus_type CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_irq CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_name CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_legacy_dev_list CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_set_busid CONFTEST: drm_crtc_state_has_connectors_changed CONFTEST: drm_init_function_args CONFTEST: drm_mode_connector_list_update_has_merge_type_bits_arg CONFTEST: drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct CONFTEST: drm_master_drop_has_from_release_arg CONFTEST: drm_driver_unload_has_int_return_type CONFTEST: kref_has_refcount_of_type_refcount_t CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_crtc_destroy_state_has_crtc_arg CONFTEST: drm_crtc_helper_funcs_has_atomic_enable CONFTEST: dom0_kernel_present CONFTEST: nvidia_vgpu_kvm_build CONFTEST: nvidia_grid_build CONFTEST: drm_available CONFTEST: drm_atomic_available CONFTEST: drm_atomic_modeset_nonblocking_commit_available CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_inc CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_dec_and_test CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_common.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvstatus.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvCpuUuid.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tools.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_global.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_isr.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_procfs.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_space.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hal.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_range.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_replayable_faults.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_non_replayable_faults.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_access_counters.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pte_batch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tlb_batch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pushbuffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_thread_context.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_ce.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_ce.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_fault_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_fault_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_access_counter_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_policy.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_gpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_migrate.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_map_external.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_user_channel.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hmm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_heuristics.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_thrashing.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_prefetch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test_rng.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_page_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_ce_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_get_rm_ptes_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_fault_buffer_flush_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_peer_identity_mappings_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-crtc.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-fb.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-prime-fence.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-helper.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-user-memory.o ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA -Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kerne l/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.o Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 4 modules CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.mod.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.ko make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic' -> done. -> Kernel module compilation complete. ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or no NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release. Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more information. -> Kernel module load error: No such device -> Kernel messages: [ 6.716296] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized [ 6.716299] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11 [ 7.789399] r8169 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: link up [ 7.789405] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp5s0: link becomes ready [ 143.274944] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3 [ 143.280509] ipmi message handler version 39.2 [ 143.281346] ipmi device interface [ 143.285219] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel. [ 143.285224] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel. [ 143.285224] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint [ 143.288753] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel [ 143.295890] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 239 [ 143.296070] pci_raw_set_power_state: 14 callbacks suppressed [ 143.296071] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D3 [ 143.296156] NVRM: This is a 64-bit BAR mapped above 4GB by the system NVRM: BIOS or the Linux kernel, but the PCI bridge NVRM: immediately upstream of this GPU does not define NVRM: a matching prefetchable memory window. [ 143.296157] NVRM: This may be due to a known Linux kernel bug. Please NVRM: see the README section on 64-bit BARs for additional NVRM: information. [ 143.296160] nvidia: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -1 [ 143.296172] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s). [ 143.296172] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized! [ 143.296243] nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 239 ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com. [/code]
ok, so i can't get the error that shows the gcc version again.
So I did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04
uname -r give me my kernel version: 4.13.0-36-generic

before installation I followed the blacklist nouveau instructions and did a
lsmod | grep nouveau

to confirm that nothing shows up, then i reboot

at log-in i used ctrl+alt+F2 and sudo service lightdm stop
Then I sudo sh the run file, the installation did not work and below is my installation log:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Tue Mar 13 21:45:09 2018
installer version: 390.42

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 390.42.
-> Running distribution scripts
executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
-> done.
-> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build'
-> Performing Compiler check.
-> Performing Dom0 check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
-> Performing vgpu_kvm check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 clean NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build"'...
rm -f -r conftest
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic'
-> Building kernel modules
executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.13.0-36-generic/build"'...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic'
SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kernel.o
SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-kernel.o
CONFTEST: INIT_WORK
CONFTEST: remap_pfn_range
CONFTEST: hash__remap_4k_pfn
CONFTEST: follow_pfn
CONFTEST: vmap
CONFTEST: set_pages_uc
CONFTEST: set_memory_uc
CONFTEST: set_memory_array_uc
CONFTEST: change_page_attr
CONFTEST: pci_get_class
CONFTEST: pci_choose_state
CONFTEST: vm_insert_page
CONFTEST: acpi_device_id
CONFTEST: acquire_console_sem
CONFTEST: console_lock
CONFTEST: kmem_cache_create
CONFTEST: on_each_cpu
CONFTEST: smp_call_function
CONFTEST: acpi_evaluate_integer
CONFTEST: ioremap_cache
CONFTEST: ioremap_wc
CONFTEST: acpi_walk_namespace
CONFTEST: pci_domain_nr
CONFTEST: pci_dma_mapping_error
CONFTEST: sg_alloc_table
CONFTEST: sg_init_table
CONFTEST: pci_get_domain_bus_and_slot
CONFTEST: get_num_physpages
CONFTEST: efi_enabled
CONFTEST: proc_create_data
CONFTEST: pde_data
CONFTEST: proc_remove
CONFTEST: pm_vt_switch_required
CONFTEST: xen_ioemu_inject_msi
CONFTEST: phys_to_dma
CONFTEST: get_dma_ops
CONFTEST: write_cr4
CONFTEST: of_find_node_by_phandle
CONFTEST: of_get_property
CONFTEST: of_node_to_nid
CONFTEST: pnv_pci_get_npu_dev
CONFTEST: for_each_online_node
CONFTEST: node_end_pfn
CONFTEST: pci_bus_address
CONFTEST: pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device
CONFTEST: pci_remove_bus_device
CONFTEST: request_threaded_irq
CONFTEST: register_cpu_notifier
CONFTEST: cpuhp_setup_state
CONFTEST: dma_map_resource
CONFTEST: backlight_device_register
CONFTEST: register_acpi_notifier
CONFTEST: timer_setup
CONFTEST: remap_page_range
CONFTEST: address_space_init_once
CONFTEST: kbasename
CONFTEST: fatal_signal_pending
CONFTEST: list_cut_position
CONFTEST: vzalloc
CONFTEST: wait_on_bit_lock_argument_count
CONFTEST: bitmap_clear
CONFTEST: usleep_range
CONFTEST: radix_tree_empty
CONFTEST: radix_tree_replace_slot
CONFTEST: drm_dev_unref
CONFTEST: drm_reinit_primary_mode_group
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_set_mode_for_crtc
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_clean_old_fb
CONFTEST: get_user_pages_remote
CONFTEST: get_user_pages
CONFTEST: drm_gem_object_lookup
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_state_free
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_gem_prime_res_obj
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_disable_all
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_set_config
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_connector_dpms
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_of_node_to_nid
CONFTEST: i2c_adapter
CONFTEST: pm_message_t
CONFTEST: irq_handler_t
CONFTEST: acpi_device_ops
CONFTEST: acpi_op_remove
CONFTEST: outer_flush_all
CONFTEST: proc_dir_entry
CONFTEST: scatterlist
CONFTEST: sg_table
CONFTEST: file_operations
CONFTEST: vm_operations_struct
CONFTEST: atomic_long_type
CONFTEST: pci_save_state
CONFTEST: file_inode
CONFTEST: task_struct
CONFTEST: kuid_t
CONFTEST: dma_ops
CONFTEST: dma_map_ops
CONFTEST: noncoherent_swiotlb_dma_ops
CONFTEST: vm_fault_present
CONFTEST: vm_fault_has_address
CONFTEST: kernel_write
CONFTEST: strnstr
CONFTEST: iterate_dir
CONFTEST: kstrtoull
CONFTEST: backlight_properties_type
CONFTEST: fault_flags
CONFTEST: atomic64_type
CONFTEST: address_space
CONFTEST: backing_dev_info
CONFTEST: mm_context_t
CONFTEST: vm_ops_fault_removed_vma_arg
CONFTEST: pnv_npu2_init_context
CONFTEST: drm_bus_present
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_bus_type
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_irq
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_name
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_legacy_dev_list
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_set_busid
CONFTEST: drm_crtc_state_has_connectors_changed
CONFTEST: drm_init_function_args
CONFTEST: drm_mode_connector_list_update_has_merge_type_bits_arg
CONFTEST: drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct
CONFTEST: drm_master_drop_has_from_release_arg
CONFTEST: drm_driver_unload_has_int_return_type
CONFTEST: kref_has_refcount_of_type_refcount_t
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_crtc_destroy_state_has_crtc_arg
CONFTEST: drm_crtc_helper_funcs_has_atomic_enable
CONFTEST: dom0_kernel_present
CONFTEST: nvidia_vgpu_kvm_build
CONFTEST: nvidia_grid_build
CONFTEST: drm_available
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_available
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_modeset_nonblocking_commit_available
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_inc
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_dec_and_test
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_common.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvstatus.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvCpuUuid.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tools.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_global.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_isr.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_space.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hal.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_range.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_replayable_faults.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_non_replayable_faults.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_access_counters.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pte_batch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tlb_batch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pushbuffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_thread_context.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_ce.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_ce.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_fault_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_fault_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_access_counter_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_policy.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_gpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_migrate.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_map_external.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_user_channel.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hmm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_heuristics.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_thrashing.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_prefetch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test_rng.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_page_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_ce_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_get_rm_ptes_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_fault_buffer_flush_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_peer_identity_mappings_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-crtc.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-fb.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-prime-fence.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-helper.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-user-memory.o
ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA
-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kerne
l/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o
ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 4 modules
CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.mod.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz1701/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-36-generic'
-> done.
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or no NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more information.
-> Kernel module load error: No such device
-> Kernel messages:
[ 6.716296] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 6.716299] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[ 7.789399] r8169 0000:05:00.0 enp5s0: link up
[ 7.789405] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp5s0: link becomes ready
[ 143.274944] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3
[ 143.280509] ipmi message handler version 39.2
[ 143.281346] ipmi device interface
[ 143.285219] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 143.285224] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 143.285224] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[ 143.288753] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 143.295890] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 239
[ 143.296070] pci_raw_set_power_state: 14 callbacks suppressed
[ 143.296071] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D3
[ 143.296156] NVRM: This is a 64-bit BAR mapped above 4GB by the system
NVRM: BIOS or the Linux kernel, but the PCI bridge
NVRM: immediately upstream of this GPU does not define
NVRM: a matching prefetchable memory window.
[ 143.296157] NVRM: This may be due to a known Linux kernel bug. Please
NVRM: see the README section on 64-bit BARs for additional
NVRM: information.
[ 143.296160] nvidia: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -1
[ 143.296172] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
[ 143.296172] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
[ 143.296243] nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 239
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Posted 03/13/2018 09:02 PM   
If your system has a BIOS option that mentions something similar to Enable/Disable 4G(B) decoding, switch it, reboot and retry to see if the NVIDIA driver loads then. It could also be fixed with a BIOS upgrade if available from your PC manufacturer or perhaps even trying a different kernel version.
If your system has a BIOS option that mentions something similar to Enable/Disable 4G(B) decoding, switch it, reboot and retry to see if the NVIDIA driver loads then. It could also be fixed with a BIOS upgrade if available from your PC manufacturer or perhaps even trying a different kernel version.

Posted 03/14/2018 02:08 AM   
Hello vacaloca, I checked my BIOS options and I do not see anything close to Enable/Disable 4GB decoding. I tried it with a higher kernel version 4.15.x, but it still did not work. any other thoughts?
Hello vacaloca,

I checked my BIOS options and I do not see anything close to Enable/Disable 4GB decoding.

I tried it with a higher kernel version 4.15.x, but it still did not work.

any other thoughts?

Posted 03/14/2018 09:32 AM   
@txbob So what does this error mean? Do i need a specific Ubuntu version or kernel version? This time I got the gcc version error: [code] -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc". -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build' -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build' -> The CC version check failed: The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609. This may lead to subtle problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched compiler will be compatible with your kernel, you may wish to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation. (Answer: Ignore CC version check) WARNING: Ignoring CC version mismatch: The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609. [/code] Thanks, JC The full log: [code] nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' creation time: Wed Mar 14 16:28:29 2018 installer version: 390.42 PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin nvidia-installer command line: ./nvidia-installer Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface -> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8. -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 390.42. -> Running distribution scripts executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'... -> done. -> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation) -> Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: No) -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc". -> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build' -> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build' -> The CC version check failed: The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609. This may lead to subtle problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched compiler will be compatible with your kernel, you may wish to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation. (Answer: Ignore CC version check) WARNING: Ignoring CC version mismatch: The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609. -> Performing Compiler check. -> Performing Dom0 check. -> Performing Xen check. -> Performing PREEMPT_RT check. -> Performing vgpu_kvm check. -> Cleaning kernel module build directory. executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 clean NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build"'... rm -f -r conftest make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic' make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic' -> Building kernel modules executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build"'... make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic' Makefile:941: "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel" SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kernel.o SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-kernel.o CONFTEST: INIT_WORK CONFTEST: remap_pfn_range CONFTEST: hash__remap_4k_pfn CONFTEST: follow_pfn CONFTEST: vmap CONFTEST: set_pages_uc CONFTEST: set_memory_uc CONFTEST: set_memory_array_uc CONFTEST: change_page_attr CONFTEST: pci_get_class CONFTEST: vm_insert_page CONFTEST: pci_choose_state CONFTEST: acpi_device_id CONFTEST: acquire_console_sem CONFTEST: console_lock CONFTEST: kmem_cache_create CONFTEST: on_each_cpu CONFTEST: smp_call_function CONFTEST: acpi_evaluate_integer CONFTEST: ioremap_cache CONFTEST: ioremap_wc CONFTEST: acpi_walk_namespace CONFTEST: pci_domain_nr CONFTEST: pci_dma_mapping_error CONFTEST: sg_alloc_table CONFTEST: sg_init_table CONFTEST: pci_get_domain_bus_and_slot CONFTEST: get_num_physpages CONFTEST: efi_enabled CONFTEST: proc_create_data CONFTEST: pde_data CONFTEST: proc_remove CONFTEST: pm_vt_switch_required CONFTEST: xen_ioemu_inject_msi CONFTEST: phys_to_dma CONFTEST: get_dma_ops CONFTEST: write_cr4 CONFTEST: of_get_property CONFTEST: of_find_node_by_phandle CONFTEST: of_node_to_nid CONFTEST: pnv_pci_get_npu_dev CONFTEST: for_each_online_node CONFTEST: node_end_pfn CONFTEST: pci_bus_address CONFTEST: pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device CONFTEST: pci_remove_bus_device CONFTEST: request_threaded_irq CONFTEST: register_cpu_notifier CONFTEST: cpuhp_setup_state CONFTEST: dma_map_resource CONFTEST: backlight_device_register CONFTEST: register_acpi_notifier CONFTEST: timer_setup CONFTEST: remap_page_range CONFTEST: address_space_init_once CONFTEST: kbasename CONFTEST: fatal_signal_pending CONFTEST: list_cut_position CONFTEST: vzalloc CONFTEST: wait_on_bit_lock_argument_count CONFTEST: bitmap_clear CONFTEST: usleep_range CONFTEST: radix_tree_replace_slot CONFTEST: radix_tree_empty CONFTEST: drm_dev_unref CONFTEST: drm_reinit_primary_mode_group CONFTEST: drm_atomic_clean_old_fb CONFTEST: drm_atomic_set_mode_for_crtc CONFTEST: get_user_pages_remote CONFTEST: get_user_pages CONFTEST: drm_gem_object_lookup CONFTEST: drm_atomic_state_free CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_gem_prime_res_obj CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_disable_all CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_set_config CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_connector_dpms CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_of_node_to_nid CONFTEST: i2c_adapter CONFTEST: pm_message_t CONFTEST: irq_handler_t CONFTEST: acpi_device_ops CONFTEST: acpi_op_remove CONFTEST: outer_flush_all CONFTEST: proc_dir_entry CONFTEST: scatterlist CONFTEST: sg_table CONFTEST: file_operations CONFTEST: vm_operations_struct CONFTEST: atomic_long_type CONFTEST: pci_save_state CONFTEST: file_inode CONFTEST: task_struct CONFTEST: kuid_t CONFTEST: dma_ops CONFTEST: dma_map_ops CONFTEST: noncoherent_swiotlb_dma_ops CONFTEST: vm_fault_present CONFTEST: vm_fault_has_address CONFTEST: kernel_write CONFTEST: strnstr CONFTEST: iterate_dir CONFTEST: kstrtoull CONFTEST: backlight_properties_type CONFTEST: fault_flags CONFTEST: atomic64_type CONFTEST: address_space CONFTEST: backing_dev_info CONFTEST: mm_context_t CONFTEST: vm_ops_fault_removed_vma_arg CONFTEST: pnv_npu2_init_context CONFTEST: drm_bus_present CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_bus_type CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_irq CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_name CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_legacy_dev_list CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_set_busid CONFTEST: drm_crtc_state_has_connectors_changed CONFTEST: drm_init_function_args CONFTEST: drm_mode_connector_list_update_has_merge_type_bits_arg CONFTEST: drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct CONFTEST: drm_master_drop_has_from_release_arg CONFTEST: drm_driver_unload_has_int_return_type CONFTEST: kref_has_refcount_of_type_refcount_t CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_crtc_destroy_state_has_crtc_arg CONFTEST: drm_crtc_helper_funcs_has_atomic_enable CONFTEST: dom0_kernel_present CONFTEST: nvidia_vgpu_kvm_build CONFTEST: nvidia_grid_build CONFTEST: drm_available CONFTEST: drm_atomic_available CONFTEST: drm_atomic_modeset_nonblocking_commit_available CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_inc CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_dec_and_test CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_common.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvstatus.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvCpuUuid.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tools.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_global.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_isr.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_procfs.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_space.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hal.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_range.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_replayable_faults.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_non_replayable_faults.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_access_counters.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pte_batch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tlb_batch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pushbuffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_thread_context.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_ce.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_ce.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_fault_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_host.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_mmu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_fault_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_access_counter_buffer.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_policy.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_gpu.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_migrate.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_map_external.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_user_channel.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hmm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_heuristics.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_thrashing.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_prefetch.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test_rng.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_page_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_ce_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_get_rm_ptes_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_fault_buffer_flush_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_peer_identity_mappings_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group_tree_test.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-utils.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-crtc.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-fb.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-prime-fence.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-helper.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.o CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-user-memory.o ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-39 0.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu. o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.o Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 4 modules CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.mod.o CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.mod.o LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.ko LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.ko make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic' -> done. -> Kernel module compilation complete. ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or no NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release. Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more information. -> Kernel module load error: No such device -> Kernel messages: [ 141.590401] wlp4s0: send auth to a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (try 1/3) [ 141.595527] wlp4s0: authenticated [ 141.596018] wlp4s0: associate with a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (try 1/3) [ 141.599867] wlp4s0: RX AssocResp from a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (capab=0x8011 status=0 aid=7) [ 141.658277] wlp4s0: associated [ 143.986018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp4s0: link becomes ready [ 1240.407351] do_trap: 23 callbacks suppressed [ 1240.407352] traps: chromium-browse[2461] trap int3 ip:55f7df0bd933 sp:7ffe37c5b940 error:0 in chromium-browser[55f7dcafc000+730e000] [ 1574.390044] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3 [ 1574.395967] ipmi message handler version 39.2 [ 1574.396952] ipmi device interface [ 1574.400788] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel. [ 1574.400789] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint [ 1574.410969] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 239 [ 1574.411140] NVRM: This is a 64-bit BAR mapped above 4GB by the system NVRM: BIOS or the Linux kernel, but the PCI bridge NVRM: immediately upstream of this GPU does not define NVRM: a matching prefetchable memory window. [ 1574.411140] NVRM: This may be due to a known Linux kernel bug. Please NVRM: see the README section on 64-bit BARs for additional NVRM: information. [ 1574.411143] nvidia: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -1 [ 1574.411152] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s). [ 1574.411153] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized! [ 1574.411225] nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 239 ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com. [/code]
@txbob
So what does this error mean? Do i need a specific Ubuntu version or kernel version?
This time I got the gcc version error:

-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build'
-> The CC version check failed:

The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609.

This may lead to subtle problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched compiler will be compatible with your kernel, you may wish to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation. (Answer: Ignore CC version check)
WARNING: Ignoring CC version mismatch:

The kernel was built with gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-8ubuntu3.2), but the current compiler version is cc (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) 5.4.0 20160609.

Thanks,
JC

The full log:
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Wed Mar 14 16:28:29 2018
installer version: 390.42

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Unable to load: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 390.42.
-> Running distribution scripts
executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
-> done.
-> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: No)
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build'
-> The CC version check failed:

This may lead to subtle problems; if you are not certain whether the mismatched compiler will be compatible with your kernel, you may wish to abort installation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel, and restart installation. (Answer: Ignore CC version check)
WARNING: Ignoring CC version mismatch:

-> Performing Compiler check.
-> Performing Dom0 check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
-> Performing vgpu_kvm check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 clean NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build"'...
rm -f -r conftest
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic'
-> Building kernel modules
executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/4.15.8-041508-generic/build"'...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic'
Makefile:941: "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel"
SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kernel.o
SYMLINK /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-kernel.o
CONFTEST: INIT_WORK
CONFTEST: remap_pfn_range
CONFTEST: hash__remap_4k_pfn
CONFTEST: follow_pfn
CONFTEST: vmap
CONFTEST: set_pages_uc
CONFTEST: set_memory_uc
CONFTEST: set_memory_array_uc
CONFTEST: change_page_attr
CONFTEST: pci_get_class
CONFTEST: vm_insert_page
CONFTEST: pci_choose_state
CONFTEST: acpi_device_id
CONFTEST: acquire_console_sem
CONFTEST: console_lock
CONFTEST: kmem_cache_create
CONFTEST: on_each_cpu
CONFTEST: smp_call_function
CONFTEST: acpi_evaluate_integer
CONFTEST: ioremap_cache
CONFTEST: ioremap_wc
CONFTEST: acpi_walk_namespace
CONFTEST: pci_domain_nr
CONFTEST: pci_dma_mapping_error
CONFTEST: sg_alloc_table
CONFTEST: sg_init_table
CONFTEST: pci_get_domain_bus_and_slot
CONFTEST: get_num_physpages
CONFTEST: efi_enabled
CONFTEST: proc_create_data
CONFTEST: pde_data
CONFTEST: proc_remove
CONFTEST: pm_vt_switch_required
CONFTEST: xen_ioemu_inject_msi
CONFTEST: phys_to_dma
CONFTEST: get_dma_ops
CONFTEST: write_cr4
CONFTEST: of_get_property
CONFTEST: of_find_node_by_phandle
CONFTEST: of_node_to_nid
CONFTEST: pnv_pci_get_npu_dev
CONFTEST: for_each_online_node
CONFTEST: node_end_pfn
CONFTEST: pci_bus_address
CONFTEST: pci_stop_and_remove_bus_device
CONFTEST: pci_remove_bus_device
CONFTEST: request_threaded_irq
CONFTEST: register_cpu_notifier
CONFTEST: cpuhp_setup_state
CONFTEST: dma_map_resource
CONFTEST: backlight_device_register
CONFTEST: register_acpi_notifier
CONFTEST: timer_setup
CONFTEST: remap_page_range
CONFTEST: address_space_init_once
CONFTEST: kbasename
CONFTEST: fatal_signal_pending
CONFTEST: list_cut_position
CONFTEST: vzalloc
CONFTEST: wait_on_bit_lock_argument_count
CONFTEST: bitmap_clear
CONFTEST: usleep_range
CONFTEST: radix_tree_replace_slot
CONFTEST: radix_tree_empty
CONFTEST: drm_dev_unref
CONFTEST: drm_reinit_primary_mode_group
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_clean_old_fb
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_set_mode_for_crtc
CONFTEST: get_user_pages_remote
CONFTEST: get_user_pages
CONFTEST: drm_gem_object_lookup
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_state_free
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_gem_prime_res_obj
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_disable_all
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_set_config
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_connector_dpms
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_of_node_to_nid
CONFTEST: i2c_adapter
CONFTEST: pm_message_t
CONFTEST: irq_handler_t
CONFTEST: acpi_device_ops
CONFTEST: acpi_op_remove
CONFTEST: outer_flush_all
CONFTEST: proc_dir_entry
CONFTEST: scatterlist
CONFTEST: sg_table
CONFTEST: file_operations
CONFTEST: vm_operations_struct
CONFTEST: atomic_long_type
CONFTEST: pci_save_state
CONFTEST: file_inode
CONFTEST: task_struct
CONFTEST: kuid_t
CONFTEST: dma_ops
CONFTEST: dma_map_ops
CONFTEST: noncoherent_swiotlb_dma_ops
CONFTEST: vm_fault_present
CONFTEST: vm_fault_has_address
CONFTEST: kernel_write
CONFTEST: strnstr
CONFTEST: iterate_dir
CONFTEST: kstrtoull
CONFTEST: backlight_properties_type
CONFTEST: fault_flags
CONFTEST: atomic64_type
CONFTEST: address_space
CONFTEST: backing_dev_info
CONFTEST: mm_context_t
CONFTEST: vm_ops_fault_removed_vma_arg
CONFTEST: pnv_npu2_init_context
CONFTEST: drm_bus_present
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_bus_type
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_irq
CONFTEST: drm_bus_has_get_name
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_legacy_dev_list
CONFTEST: drm_driver_has_set_busid
CONFTEST: drm_crtc_state_has_connectors_changed
CONFTEST: drm_init_function_args
CONFTEST: drm_mode_connector_list_update_has_merge_type_bits_arg
CONFTEST: drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct
CONFTEST: drm_master_drop_has_from_release_arg
CONFTEST: drm_driver_unload_has_int_return_type
CONFTEST: kref_has_refcount_of_type_refcount_t
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_helper_crtc_destroy_state_has_crtc_arg
CONFTEST: drm_crtc_helper_funcs_has_atomic_enable
CONFTEST: dom0_kernel_present
CONFTEST: nvidia_vgpu_kvm_build
CONFTEST: nvidia_grid_build
CONFTEST: drm_available
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_available
CONFTEST: drm_atomic_modeset_nonblocking_commit_available
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_inc
CONFTEST: is_export_symbol_gpl_refcount_dec_and_test
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_common.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvstatus.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/nvCpuUuid.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tools.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_global.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_isr.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_space.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hal.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_range.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_replayable_faults.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_non_replayable_faults.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_access_counters.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pte_batch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tlb_batch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pushbuffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_thread_context.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_ce.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kepler_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_maxwell_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_ce.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pascal_fault_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_host.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_mmu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_fault_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_volta_access_counter_buffer.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_policy.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_gpu.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_migrate.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_map_external.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_user_channel.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_hmm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_heuristics.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_thrashing.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_prefetch.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_test_rng.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_allocator_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_gpu_semaphore_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_rm_mem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_page_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_tracker_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_push_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_channel_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_ce_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_lock_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_utils_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_kvmalloc_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_pmm_sysmem_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_events_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_perf_module_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_get_rm_ptes_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_fault_buffer_flush_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_mmu_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_peer_identity_mappings_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_va_block_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm8_range_group_tree_test.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-utils.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-crtc.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-fb.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-modeset.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-prime-fence.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-linux.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-helper.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nv-pci-table.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.o
CC [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-user-memory.o
ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-frontend.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-instance.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gpu-numa.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-acpi.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-chrdev.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-cray.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-dma.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-gvi.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-i2c.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mempool.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-mmap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-p2p.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pat.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-39
0.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-procfs.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vm.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-vtophys.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-mlock.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-pci.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-registry.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/os-usermap.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-pci-table.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-kthread-q-selftest.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-memdbg.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-ibmnpu.
o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv-report-err.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nv_uvm_interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia/nvlink_linux.o
ld -r -o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset/nvidia-modeset-linux.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 4 modules
CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.mod.o
CC /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.mod.o
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-modeset.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-uvm.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia.ko
LD [M] /tmp/selfgz3173/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42/kernel/nvidia-drm.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.8-041508-generic'
-> done.
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or no NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more information.
-> Kernel module load error: No such device
-> Kernel messages:
[ 141.590401] wlp4s0: send auth to a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (try 1/3)
[ 141.595527] wlp4s0: authenticated
[ 141.596018] wlp4s0: associate with a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (try 1/3)
[ 141.599867] wlp4s0: RX AssocResp from a0:2b:b8:44:3b:60 (capab=0x8011 status=0 aid=7)
[ 141.658277] wlp4s0: associated
[ 143.986018] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp4s0: link becomes ready
[ 1240.407351] do_trap: 23 callbacks suppressed
[ 1240.407352] traps: chromium-browse[2461] trap int3 ip:55f7df0bd933 sp:7ffe37c5b940 error:0 in chromium-browser[55f7dcafc000+730e000]
[ 1574.390044] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3
[ 1574.395967] ipmi message handler version 39.2
[ 1574.396952] ipmi device interface
[ 1574.400788] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 1574.400789] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[ 1574.410969] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 239
[ 1574.411140] NVRM: This is a 64-bit BAR mapped above 4GB by the system
NVRM: BIOS or the Linux kernel, but the PCI bridge
NVRM: immediately upstream of this GPU does not define
NVRM: a matching prefetchable memory window.
[ 1574.411140] NVRM: This may be due to a known Linux kernel bug. Please
NVRM: see the README section on 64-bit BARs for additional
NVRM: information.
[ 1574.411143] nvidia: probe of 0000:02:00.0 failed with error -1
[ 1574.411152] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
[ 1574.411153] NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
[ 1574.411225] nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 239
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Posted 03/14/2018 04:07 PM   
Is this a laptop system?
Is this a laptop system?

Posted 03/14/2018 05:19 PM   
Yes, I have a lenovo E570 with 1050 Ti mobile
Yes, I have a lenovo E570 with 1050 Ti mobile

Posted 03/14/2018 05:33 PM   
When you purchased the laptop from Lenovo, what operating system was installed?
When you purchased the laptop from Lenovo, what operating system was installed?

Posted 03/14/2018 05:38 PM   
Windows 10
Windows 10

Posted 03/14/2018 05:41 PM   
So lets start out with the proviso that there's really no guarantee that your laptop can be made to work correctly with linux the way you might want. Modern laptops with optimus graphics are specifically designed to work with windows, and it often requires substantial effort and trial and error to get GPU accelerated graphics and/or CUDA running under linux. Any support provided by NVIDIA (i.e. me) is on a best-efforts basis, and I may not be able to answer all your questions. You might need to try things and discover that they don't work, and then you may need to try something else. Lenovo may very well have designed some characteristics that don't play well with our linux GPU driver. So if you ask me "what does this error mean?" I may not know the answer. And I won't necessarily be able to get you an answer for any/every question you may. That is not how this support forum works, and in general, NVIDIA does not provide end-user support that way. This is a community-based, best efforts forum. Furthermore, I don't have your laptop and I don't know in detail what BIOS settings your laptop may have, or what changes need to be made, or how to tell you to make those changes. If this were my system, the first thing I would try would be to do a clean load of Ubuntu 16.04, and make sure the kernel version is 4.10 or earlier. So this means maybe you don't use 16.04.05, or maybe you don't immediately do sudo apt-get upgrade after you install the OS. With that baseline, I would simply try a [b]network deb[/b] install of CUDA 9.1, and see what happens. Don't use a runfile installer, and don't use the local deb installer. Be sure to get the network deb installer from [url]http://www.nvidia.com/getcuda[/url] Be sure to read the linux install guide, in its entirety, before starting the install: [url]http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html[/url] In case it's not clear, I'm suggesting you don't separately install a driver. The network deb method should pick up an acceptable R390 driver. The condensed instructions are just what is reported on the download page: [code]sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_9.1.85-1_amd64.deb sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cuda[/code]
So lets start out with the proviso that there's really no guarantee that your laptop can be made to work correctly with linux the way you might want. Modern laptops with optimus graphics are specifically designed to work with windows, and it often requires substantial effort and trial and error to get GPU accelerated graphics and/or CUDA running under linux. Any support provided by NVIDIA (i.e. me) is on a best-efforts basis, and I may not be able to answer all your questions. You might need to try things and discover that they don't work, and then you may need to try something else. Lenovo may very well have designed some characteristics that don't play well with our linux GPU driver. So if you ask me "what does this error mean?" I may not know the answer. And I won't necessarily be able to get you an answer for any/every question you may. That is not how this support forum works, and in general, NVIDIA does not provide end-user support that way. This is a community-based, best efforts forum. Furthermore, I don't have your laptop and I don't know in detail what BIOS settings your laptop may have, or what changes need to be made, or how to tell you to make those changes.

If this were my system, the first thing I would try would be to do a clean load of Ubuntu 16.04, and make sure the kernel version is 4.10 or earlier. So this means maybe you don't use 16.04.05, or maybe you don't immediately do sudo apt-get upgrade after you install the OS.

With that baseline, I would simply try a network deb install of CUDA 9.1, and see what happens. Don't use a runfile installer, and don't use the local deb installer.

Be sure to get the network deb installer from http://www.nvidia.com/getcuda

Be sure to read the linux install guide, in its entirety, before starting the install:

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html

In case it's not clear, I'm suggesting you don't separately install a driver. The network deb method should pick up an acceptable R390 driver. The condensed instructions are just what is reported on the download page:

sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1604_9.1.85-1_amd64.deb
sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1604/x86_64/7fa2af80.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda

Posted 03/14/2018 06:20 PM   
Hello txbob, I apologize if I sounded demanding, that was definitely not my intention. I understand how forum works and I appreciate any help. I just posted any questions I have, so if anyone knows anything they can comment. I will give the 4.10 method a try later. Thanks.
Hello txbob,

I apologize if I sounded demanding, that was definitely not my intention.
I understand how forum works and I appreciate any help. I just posted any questions I have, so if anyone knows anything they can comment.

I will give the 4.10 method a try later.

Thanks.

Posted 03/15/2018 10:07 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply