Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - 1080Ti Cuda and Graphics drivers

Hi,
I have just installed fresh Ubuntu 16.04 and I have Asus Geforce 1080Ti graphics card.

After installing ubuntu, i wanted to install the nvidia graphics card drivers. When I googled it, I found out that if I install cuda toolkit latest version, it should automatically install nvidia graphics driver. So I used this link: Installation Guide Linux :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

and used Package Manager Installation to install cuda toolkit. Now I currently have nvidia 390.30 drivers installed. I believe the latest version available is: (390.420) NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42.run

My questions are:

1- how do I know if I have installed the graphics driver correctly?
2- is the latest version available for my ubuntu is 390.420? if yes then how can I install it without causing any problem with cuda toolkit?
3- when I start ubuntu the loading screen resolution has been changed after installing the cuda toolkit. it’s now become 640x480 from 2560x1440. I have done some research but nothing worked. looks like nvidia drivers are not loaded when I see ubuntu loading screen.
4-When ubuntu is loaded, just before the login screen, my screen gets completely black and it flicks back and forth with a black screen and then I get to see my login screen. Why is this?

Any help with any or all of the above questions will be highly appreciated.

I’m running with 1950x Threadripper system with 32 GB RAM

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (109 KB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting tar.gz file to your post.

Hi generix, I’ve attached the bug report file. I’ve also attached a screenshot of additional driver where for some reason ubuntu is recognizing Nvidia but not my exact graphics card.