Cannot compile NVIDIA driver on RHEL 7.5 workstation

Cannot compile NVIDIA driver on RHEL 7.5 beta workstation using NVIDIA installer or compiling from source code directory. Tried to build latest and previous versions: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.111. When I build from source I get the following make error:

make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-830.el7.x86_64' Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST 4 modules FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__cachemode2pte_tbl' make[3]: *** [__modpost] Error 1 make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2 make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-830.el7.x86_64’
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I opened a support case with Red Hat and was told, since the NVIDIA driver is not licensed under the GPL, it cannot use certain symbols in the kernel. This is a problem that NVIDIA will have to fix with their driver.

Is there a fix I can apply to the NVIDIA driver that will allow me to build the driver?

You’re probably running a debug-kernel, that won’t work. Install a non-debug one.

I verified that I am not running a debug-kernel.

Seems to be some regression with the beta kernel:
[url]https://www.spinics.net/lists/centos/msg169161.html[/url]

Thanks for the info. I followed up with Red Hat and this issue will be fixed in the release version of 7.5.