Wanting to play different videos using nView to multiple screens (via re-loading saved 'nView' profiles)

Hi, I hope you can help overcome what I thought would be a straightforward process using nView and an NVS810. I am about to buy NVS810’s and use the nView software to run different short videos on the various screens. NView looks perfect (in theory) as it will save the profiles of what I have on the screens (then I can change from profile to profile and vary all the screens, easily and quickly). To test this idea, I tried an earlier version of nView to see if what I had in mind would work. But As nView wont run videos per se (only QuickTime, media player etc but not with a video file loaded in the app) so the idea wont work that way. I then found a software package that converted the .mp4 video files into self-contained ‘.exe’. Which seemed the answer as nView will load a ‘.exe’. But while I could get the profiles to save and run all other types of .exe’s the nView would not run the new ‘video’.exe that the converter software had made. For interest, I could get nView to run the converter software itself but not its produced video.exe (That is it ran fine when I re-loaded it via a saved profile - but nView did not re-start any of the video.exe’s). So my question is: Can you please tell me if there is (a) a way to run these video.exe’s (Like, is there some settings in nView or is there some characteristics that I must give the .exe’s)? [Because nView could ‘see’ the .exe’s as they were listed under the ‘Applications’ tab when I tried to give them ‘Individual’ characteristics. But still would not re-start them up when I reloaded the profile with them in it.] Alternatively, (b) is there some other way to get nView to run videos via a saved profile? Any suggestions greatly appreciated - because at the moment its no use me buying the NVS810s.

C’mon guys, I just want to run videos with nView. Surely, that is possible? (And I am not the first to try it surely?)

(PS: bit more info to the above:(1.) I gather that the ‘Audio/Video to Exe’ software is just winamp rapt with the video. Surely nView should be able to recognise it? Also (2.) Windows Task Manager could see the video.exe when i saved the profile in nView. Yet nView cannot re-start the video.exe (and it is not seen in Task Manager after the profile is loaded / activated - so its not as if nView has re-started it and I cannot view/see it. It seems to choose not to re-start the video.exe’s. And (3) There is no Red mark on the task bar of the video.exe when I make nView show the options on the apps. So nView is not telling me that the video.exe is incompatible

Can you please tell us what app are you using to play these videos?

NVIEW is a desktop manager, you should be able to drag whatever application the video is streaming in and create grids for the videos to play in.

Thanks,
Ryan Park

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the reply. With the delay, I got over that problem by changing our needs.

NEW question : Is there a way to Load (start up) an nView profile using a macro? (eg.[something like this in VBA…] shell("C: \Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NView.exe ““C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NView\Profile Test1"””) -but with code that would work, of course.

Thanks,
David

Hi Ryan,
Thanks very much for the reply. With the delay, I got over that problem by changing our needs. So no worries.

NEW question : Is there a way to Load (start up) an nView profile using a macro? (eg.[something like this in VBA…] shell(“C: \Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NView.exe ““C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NView\Profile Test1.tvp”””) -but with code that would work, of course.

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

sorry we addressed this late, but in regards to nView not being able to restore video windows,

The problem here is that nView doesn’t know anything about internal state of an application, i.e. nView knows only the number of windows media player processes, but doesn’t know which video the player has loaded.

To make the video known to nView the video needs to be launched by commandline. nView will store/restore the full commandline.

1. launch c:<path to player>\player.exe \video.mp4
  2. save profile
  3. restore profile: nView will restore app with same cmd line as in step 1)

Hope this works!

Ryan Park