CUDA Visual Studio Integration Installation failed

I cannot install the CUDA (9.1.85) Visual Studio Integration / Nsight for VS on my computer…
The worst thing is that I cannot find a normal way to remove the Nsight from VS now…
The installation program works fine when I remove Visual Studio Integration from the list. I tried to install Nsight but still failed.

Environment

• Windows 10, 1709
  • Visual Studio 2017, 15.6.6
  • CUDA 9.1.85
  • GPU: GT840M
  • https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/873482/nsight-visual-studio-edition/glsl-debugger-on-nvidia-geforce-840m/
    Someone mentioned that “Nsight don’t support Shader Debugging on Maxwell GPU” but I think they had already installed Nsight successfully.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition-supported-gpus-full-list
    My GPU is not supported by Nsight but I don’t know whether it means I cannot install or I can install but it won’t works as well as others.

Question

1. How can I install Nsight?
    2. Even I cannot install Nsight, how can I remove the incompelete one?(Now I cannot find something like Nsight or CUDA Visual Studio Integration in my control panel)

When I start the VS now there’s a warning: cannot load the Nvda… package and we can go to ActivityLog.xml to get details.

Log

I used command .\setup.exe -log:“G:\SetupPackage\CUDA” -loglevel:6 and got a log file which is too long so I only paste the ERROR part. Those Chinese means there’s an error.

131.530 |ERROR: [NVI2UI.HtmlSharedControlScripting] 2078@CHtmlSharedControlScripting::error : "Presentation response bad format - code = 200 response = ". 
    137.735 | INFO: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 548@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Reporting state of the UpdateCore tasks. 
    137.735 |ERROR: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 557@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Failed to load NvTelemetryStatusReporter.dll:  126. 
    137.736 | INFO: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 548@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Reporting state of the UpdateCore tasks. 
    137.736 |ERROR: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 557@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Failed to load NvTelemetryStatusReporter.dll:  126. 
    137.736 | INFO: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 548@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Reporting state of the UpdateCore tasks. 
    137.736 |ERROR: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 557@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Failed to load NvTelemetryStatusReporter.dll:  126. 
    196.550 |ERROR: [NVI2.NVMsiPhase] 826@CNVMsiPhase::InvokePhase : Caught exception Exception {0x80070643 - 安装时发生严重错误; File: NVMsiPhase.cpp; Line: 75}. 
    196.552 | INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2999@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstallPackagePhases : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing package phase "NsightMSITraffic" ( 56796 ms ). 
    196.552 | INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2038@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Package Phases in "visual_studio_integration_9.1" ( 56828 ms ). 
    196.555 |ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2059@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Package "visual_studio_integration_9.1" failed with error: Exception {0x80070643 - 安装时发生严重错误; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4024; Phase failure}. 
    196.556 |ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2118@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Failing at package "visual_studio_integration_9.1" failed with error: Exception {0x80070643 - 安装时发生严重错误} - aborting install. 
    196.556 | INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 1914@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Package "visual_studio_integration_9.1" ( 56828 ms ). 
    196.556 | INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 1894@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Packages ( 56828 ms ). 
    196.558 |ERROR: [NVI2.InstallThread] 54@CInstallThread::ThreadProc : Install failed - Exception {0x80070643 - 安装时发生严重错误; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4024; Phase failure} - going to fail state. 
    221.875 |ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 242@CNVInstaller::PerformSteps : Installation failed with error Exception {0x80070643 - 安装时发生严重错误; File: SimpleThread.h; Line: 228}.

Already Tried

• Install the VC++ 2015 toolset.
  • Install the latest GPU driver.
  • Install Nsight 5.5 / 5.4
  • Close the Window Defender.
  • The problem is solved.

The CUDA found 2 instances of Visual Studio when installing. The first is the Community, the second is the standalone build tools.

Using the Visual Studio Installer, I removed the second one and now I can finish my installation.

Thank you and your reply.

I can finish my installation too.

My error log is much the same as yours, but I can only see the community on installed product page

Try the method sugested by @oregonduckman and orangesherbet0 (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033111/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-1-cannot-install-due-to-failed-visual-studio-integration/):

Step 1: Install the standard VGA driver:

1. Bring up the Windows Device Manager. You can do that my right-clicking on the Start button and then select Device Manager.
    2. Expand the “Display Adapter” list, right-click on the GeForce card and then select “Update Driver Software”.
    3. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
    4. Then click the “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
    5. Uncheck the “Show compatible hardware” option.
    6. Under the “Manufacture” scroll to the top and select the “(Standard display type)” and then click “Next”. If you are running multiple GPUs then repeat steps #2 - #6 for each GPU.
    7. Restart Windows. This will basically load the standard VGA driver.

Step 2: Delete all Cuda reference:

1. In Windows Services, stop all nvidia services
    2. Delete all nvidia files from C:\ProgramData, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files(x86).
    3. Proceed with cuda installation.
    1 Like

Thanks pagr12 oregonduckman and orangesherbet0 that worked for me after hours of frustration. install/uninstall programs need work.

you can not Install the Visual Studio Integration and add path for deviceQuery
    or
    see this blog for detail
    [url]Markjong001@痞客邦

Thanks for your reply and your solution.

According to Markjong001@痞客邦, I think mr.terminal means do not install the Visual Studio Intergation and add CUDA to system path.

(I think it will work. I haven’t try this solution yet because i already finished my installion.)

Here’s a partial translation of that blog:

1. Uncheck the Visual Studio Intergation when installing.
    2. Add following items to PATH
  • C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v9.0\extras\CUPTI\libx64
  • C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v9.0\lib\x64
  • What do I put for PATH Name?

Just add those two items into the variable named “Path”.

Just use ddu Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.4 and delete all the nvidia drivers and try again. simple as that

Problem solved !!

After guru3d DDU nvidia complete uninstall in safe mode, unplug your ethernet cable (to avoid the automatic reinstall of nvidia driver at the next boot), then reboot in normal mode

Then dince Windows 10 was not responding to my uninstall request, i used Revo uninstaller to remove all remaining programs (using revo uninstaller free version), aand then it worked !!