Torch7 Installation Failed

Hi Everyone,

I am installing Torch regarding the DIGITS/BuildTorch.md, However, I encountered building error which is:

[ 15%] Building NVCC (Device) object lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/THC_generated_THCTensorMathReduce.cu.o
1 error detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpxft_000020e7_00000000-6_THCTensorMathPairwise.cpp1.ii".
CMake Error at THC_generated_THCTensorMathPairwise.cu.o.cmake:267 (message):
  Error generating file
  /home/deep/torch/extra/cutorch/build/lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir//./THC_generated_THCTensorMathPairwise.cu.o

lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/build.make:140: recipe for target 'lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/THC_generated_THCTensorMathPairwise.cu.o' failed
make[2]: *** [lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/THC_generated_THCTensorMathPairwise.cu.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
2 errors detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpxft_000020cc_00000000-6_THCTensorMath.cpp1.ii".
CMake Error at THC_generated_THCTensorMath.cu.o.cmake:267 (message):
  Error generating file
  /home/deep/torch/extra/cutorch/build/lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir//./THC_generated_THCTensorMath.cu.o

lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/build.make:112: recipe for target 'lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/THC_generated_THCTensorMath.cu.o' failed
make[2]: *** [lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/THC_generated_THCTensorMath.cu.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:172: recipe for target 'lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [lib/THC/CMakeFiles/THC.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I googled the problem and found a suggested solution(this problem was reported as a bug and fixed) which is:

./clean.sh
export TORCH_NVCC_FLAGS="-D__CUDA_NO_HALF_OPERATORS__"
./install.sh

It did not help. there is also another recommendation which is installing CUDA-8 instead of CUDA-9.1. I do not want to downgrade the version of CUDA. Is there any other suggestion to fix this problem?

Kind regards, Ender.

Problem solved. Just uninstall the torch:

rm -rf ~/torch

and follow the official torch instructions: Torch | Getting started with Torch