Visual studio integration failed.

I have been trying for 2 days to install CUDA and all seems to work fine except for the visual studio integration. (i use the latest version of vs2017 community). I have tried reinstalling vs2017, didnt work, i tried installing vs2015 community, didnt work either, i comepletely deleted every cuda related file or visual studio related files (not the projects duh) and installed vs2017 yet again from scratch only for it not to work. I tried printing the log files but i cant get anything meaningful out of them. I searched all around the interned and i cant find any solution. Could someone please help a poor fella out?

1 Like

Same issue is happening here, some suggested solutions but doesnt look like anyone has gotten the VS integration to work: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1024655/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-0-176-installer-fails-every-time/

Bump.

I have to add my voice to this.

Brand new computer. Got the cuda_9.1.85_win10_network. Started it and was told to install Visual Studio. Did that ( a wooping 14GB install ). Tried cuda_9.1.85_win10_network again. It downloaded loads of stuff and failed!?. Turns out it fails on VS integration and deletes everything. Got my hands on cuda_9.1.85_win10 (stand alone) and managed to install it when VS integration was unchecked. But loading the sln files and trying to compile just gives loots of errors. I got it a bit further by copying files from the place the CUDA installer unpacks files ( C:\Users\devtest\AppData\Local\Temp\CUDA ) and into VS support folders. At this point I can compile about 20% of the sample projects (with VS - I will give linux a go before quiting).

But at this point I’m allso allready really fedup. Got this machine just to be able to use CUDA. At this point I’m ready to return it and swap it for a amd/radeon solution and use Open?l for my project.

I find the situation, and the nVIDIA responses given to similar threads higly unprofessional! Not what I expected from a company like nVIDIA. I’m shure they have their reasons. But as it is it is easier for me to go the Open?l route (and get 2 machines for the price of this one).

Sorry for wenting, but the situation is frustrating as hell.

tc - happy coding (at some point :o) )
Uten

1 Like

I had the same problem and finally I could find a solution. Visual Studio integration failed every time. I tried all possible combinations and nothing worked (Visualstudio 2010, VisualStudio 2017, Cuda 9.1.85, 9.0, 8.0, 7.5). I also tried reinstall windows 10 in all possible ways. Fortunately the method sugested by @oregonduckman and orangesherbet0 worked for me (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033111/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-1-cannot-install-due-to-failed-visual-studio-integration/):

Step 1: Install the standard VGA driver:

1. Bring up the Windows Device Manager. You can do that my right-clicking on the Start button and then select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the “Display Adapter” list, right-click on the GeForce card and then select “Update Driver Software”.
  3. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  4. Then click the “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  5. Uncheck the “Show compatible hardware” option.
  6. Under the “Manufacture” scroll to the top and select the “(Standard display type)” and then click “Next”. If you are running multiple GPUs then repeat steps #2 - #6 for each GPU.
  7. Restart Windows. This will basically load the standard VGA driver.

Step 2: Delete all Cuda reference:

1. In Windows Services, stop all nvidia services
  2. Delete all nvidia files from C:\ProgramData, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files(x86).
  3. Proceed with cuda installation.

Hello, I’ve been unable to install cuda 9.2, all the components fail also the VS integration. I’m using a Geforce GTX 950M 4GB which is cuda compatible. So I tried installing Cuda 7.5 which was successfull except the Development kit installation and the Visual Studio integration failed. I tried all possible combinations of VS but non of them were successful. The installer says that it cant find any Visual Studio in my computer. So I came across this thread. When I followed pagr12’s instructions, when i do the 6th part in Step 1, I get a code 31 error (I’ve attached the screenshot). Then when I close the window instead of the nvida driver I see Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Is this the way it should be or have I done something wrong.

[url]CUDA 9.1 cannot install due to failed Visual Studio Integration - CUDA Setup and Installation - NVIDIA Developer Forums

In a nutshell, remove every last piece of NVIDIA software from your system (but unless you follow the above instructions, whatever you try may not work). Then install the proper version of VS 2017 that has only up to 15.6.x toolchain. Then install CUDA 9.2. If you get an error, it probably means either that you did not remove all NVIDIA software, or you don’t have the proper version of VS 2017.

Thanks alot mate, it worked!!!
:D

Although it will certainly work, I think NVIDIA should consider update CUDA toolkit 9.2 to be compatible with the newest VS2017. I believe it will be not that huge work, and it will save the developer’s troubles from rollback the whole VS2017 to just install the toolkit.

dude, thank you, I tried to fix it all for a week, before the defense of the diploma for 3 days, and only your method has earned. Thank you very much

Hi,

I followed the steps exactly, and now I am able to complete the CUDA installation without any errors. Thank you so much for posting this. Helped me a lot.

Hi pagr12,

Confirming your instructions work as well.

I was unable to get the Visual Studio Integration component of CUDA installed on my system until I followed your instructions. Killing all of the NVIDIA processes and deleting every NVIDIA file was rather difficult; some of these were protected and I wasn’t able to get rid of NV Telemetry. Nevertheless, your approach worked perfectly.

I am using the very latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Community; Cuda 9.2 is fully compatible with the latest version of Visual Studio (Version 15.7.4).

Great advice! Thank you for your help.

I had the same problem and finally I could find a solution. Visual Studio integration failed every time. I tried all possible combinations and nothing worked (Visualstudio 2010, VisualStudio 2017, Cuda 9.1.85, 9.0, 8.0, 7.5). I also tried reinstall windows 10 in all possible ways. Fortunately the method sugested by @oregonduckman and orangesherbet0 worked for me (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033111/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-1-cannot-install-due-to-failed-visual-studio-integration/):

Step 1: Install the standard VGA driver:

1. Bring up the Windows Device Manager. You can do that my right-clicking on the Start button and then select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the “Display Adapter” list, right-click on the GeForce card and then select “Update Driver Software”.
  3. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  4. Then click the “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  5. Uncheck the “Show compatible hardware” option.
  6. Under the “Manufacture” scroll to the top and select the “(Standard display type)” and then click “Next”. If you are running multiple GPUs then repeat steps #2 - #6 for each GPU.
  7. Restart Windows. This will basically load the standard VGA driver.

Step 2: Delete all Cuda reference:

1. In Windows Services, stop all nvidia services
  2. Delete all nvidia files from C:\ProgramData, C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files(x86).
  3. Proceed with cuda installation.
    Posted 05/13/2018 05:12 PM

Thanks a lot @pagr12, these instructions work.

Installing tensorflow on windows with GPU support, so needed CUDA 9.0. Had the same issue where the installer failed due to visual studio integration failing. Like with others, @pagr12’s instructions on this thread worked for me([url]Visual studio integration failed. - CUDA Setup and Installation - NVIDIA Developer Forums)

Nvidia, your tooling is a mess from a reliability and usability perspective.

1. Fix your installer AND
  2. Have a tool that cleans up properly. I don’t feel comfortable blindly deleting all nvidia files directly off the filesystem
1 Like

Problem solved !!

Since Windows 10 was not responding to my uninstall request, i used Revo uninstaller to remove all remaining programs (using revo uninstaller free version), aand then it worked !!

I had the exact same problem, but since I was on a notebook with an Intel GPU and a Nvidia GPU it was sufficient enough to stop all Nvidia Processes and to disable the Nvidia GPU in the device manager. After that I could successfully install the Visual Studio Integration. No software uninstallation or restart required :)