Problems on Driver Nvidia 340.106 (with video card GeForce 8600M GT)

Hi:

I have problems to perfect the drivers with the version 340.106 last ones and extracted the first days of this year.

Of a part that if I do it with the Linux kernel and compiled by Debian it me works noisily well. But when I it want to do with kernels mine already the thing it changes. Completely.

I do not remember how poría to do this without so many earnings and to have no problems, because I have to install the drivers with the parameter ‘–no-unified-memory’. And there are already years that this laptop has.

The first thing that me appears on having done these things in Debian Buster (or Sid), the following thing:

[ 371.180] ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
[ 371.180] This server has a video driver ABI version of 24.0 that this
driver does not officially support. Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
[ 371.180] =================================================================
[ 371.180] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
[ 371.180] (II) UnloadModule: “nvidia”
[ 371.180] (II) Unloading nvidia
[ 371.181] (EE) Failed to load module “nvidia” (unknown error, 0)
[ 371.181] (EE) No drivers available.
[ 371.181] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 371.181] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[ 371.181] (EE)

This happens to me with the new bundles of xserver-xorg that are already available for these old computer systems (nvidia-legacy it does the same).

I remember some time ago that it was possible to do in a pair of files a few modifications for kernel’s adapted and compiled for us. Namely for our account (blessed make-kpkg).

In the official Debian kernel’s I do not have any problem with the functionality DKMS. But if I do it with the kernel’s compiled by me it already changes the thing, gives errors for all sides.

Can anybody help me on this matter? I have all the bundles even nowadays, working without any problem. I do not have any problem in modifying any thing that is needed, can do any other modifications that need.

I, I still do not have thought of buying to me another laptop, for the time being.

Thank you very much whom did I answer. I wait for answers very anxiously.

There’s no 340 driver for Xserver 1.20 yet. So all you can do is either downgrade to Xserver 1.19 or wait for an updated driver. This can’t be fixed with user patches.

I already, already know it ‘generix’. The case is, that I did a ‘downgrade’ of the Xserver 1.19, but not nevertheless it me works, I have proved it. Therefore, I have to hope to a new update, because the last one is of January 16, and how I know that at the moment I do not see any form, since therefore it happens already, must be with the nouveau until a new version is extracted for the Xorg 1.20 (it is not even known when).

Thanks.

Ok, please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post will reveal a paperclip icon.

Oks…

I do it in a little bit, I am with the nouveau controlers. In nothing I do it, because I am checking thousands of publications simultaneously in the same place and when I end do that and order it here.

Thank you very much ‘generix’.

Hi:

Here it is, quite verified.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (87.8 KB)

According to the log, the driver loads fine but your xserver is version 1.20, which doesn’t work.

That’s why he was saying, that it gives problems in the Xorg 1.20. In the Xorg 1.19 it has given me problems and he was saying the same to me.

So, he has me to wait.

I am waiting for the new drivers for Linux (They Debian SID), and…here I am waiting, for when I should be. Because I know that it will have time so that GT appears new controlers for the GF 8600M. I am patient.

I know that it will be taken at least, one month in having it finished. I do not know it, because I do not know the update (for the time being, of course).

Thanks.

I have the same problem with a GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] (rev a2). Works OK if I downgrade to xorg-server 1.19.6. Is there even a guess when there might be a version of 340 which will work with the new xorg-server?

Yes, in the version 340.106 (with xorg 1.19.6), yes it works very well. But it is necessary to walk with the topic to say to him that he should ignore the implementations ABI so that it works (it scares to that many things do not work correctly).

In any case, we must hope to the new version that there should facilitate the work to us in the new version 1.20, which yes will work better or just as now.

Let’s touch wood to which a new version comes for that.

Support for xorg 1.18 took 0 days, for 1.19 2 months. So maybe 1 month on average or maybe 4 months depending on what you make out of two data points;)

Since not at all, to wait, because the laptop will die then of so much waiting and of not making anything improve, when it works very well with the NVIDIA controlers without consuming so much memory RAM of use.

As you say already, it is an average of between one month or 4 months. I understand it. Very well, in Windows 10, the same does not happen, but also enough memory RAM consumes that in Linux (because it has transformed in something much better of that time, since, it consumes very much less resources than Windows).

Since not at all, he has us to hope, then.

Thanks. I wait then patiently for the update to apply it.

Thanks… Is rapidility…

I already have the new update. What rapidity! Small rapidity!

Thank you very much!

The 340.107 driver support to ABI 24.

“Updated nvidia-installer in the 340.xx legacy driver series to default to installing the driver without the NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module if this module fails to build at installation time. The 340.xx legacy Unified Memory kernel module is incompatible with recent Linux kernels, and the GPU hardware generations that the 340.xx legacy driver series is intended to support do not support Unified Memory.
Added support for X.Org xserver ABI 24 (xorg-server 1.20).
Improved nvidia-bug-report.sh to check for kern.log which is the default kernel log-file location for many Debian-based Linux distributions.
Fixed a bug which could cause X servers that export a Video Driver ABI earlier than 0.8 to crash when running X11 applications which call XRenderAddTraps().”

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/135161/en-us

Thanks… I new laptop. The laptop is MSI GE73 Raider 8RE-023XES.

Not problem. I will install the Linux in the not too distant future.