Wireless Channel Characterization using Optix as a Ray Tracing Engine

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some Optix examples to calculate wireless channel parameters such as channel impulse response, power delay profile etc. In general the example should do the following things:

1. Ray Launching
  2. Ray Tracing : Calculation of Line of sight propagation rays, Reflected and transmitted rays and Diffracted rays
  3. Ray Reception : Calculation of Field Strength if the ray hit the receiver

So, please let me know if there are any examples related to this are available or any information related to Channel Characterization using Optix is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Aman

I don’t know of existing example code which is doing exactly what you require for your use case, but there was a similar discussion on this forum recently:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1032454/optix/sphere-intersection-with-ray-distance-dependent-radius/[/url]

My last response in that thread contains some pseudo algorithm descriptions and a link to a GTC presentation where OptiX has been used to simulate car-to-car communication, including reflected and diffracted rays.
Maybe some of that information is helpful to give you the necessray ideas how to approach this with OptiX.

The pseudo algorithm that you explained in your referred forum is quite helpful. Also, I get a good idea from GTC presentation. Are there any programming examples available for that GTC presentation?

Moreover, It would be nice if you could provide me a programming example of the pseudo code that you have explained in that forum. I would like to know that how to set the spherical transmitter and receiver in the scene then send the waverfront from transmitter and find the hit paths between the transmitter and receiver.

Thanks!

Since that presentation was a customer research case I doubt there are any more implementation details available.

I would simply recommend to learn how to use OptiX to implement algorithms which can be solved with ray tracing. It’s a general purpose high-level ray casting SDK.

Maybe start working through the new OptiX Introduction samples. Links here:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/998546/optix/optix-advanced-samples-on-github/[/url]

That series of examples implements a uni-directional path tracer and the concepts are similar to that pseudo algorithm description.
Your transmitter handling would go into the ray generation program and the receivers would be the lights. Apart from the cone around the reflection direction, the visibility tests are basically the same.
You would need to adapt whatever your output results should be and generate the proper data at the per ray payload when a path connects to a receiver and save that at the end of the ray generation program.
Though I have no idea how channel impulse responses or power delay profiles are affected by the wavefront propagation through space and especially what the material properties would need to be to simulate the reflection, transmission or diffraction behaviour through a scene. That’s your responsibility to implement.

Thanks for all the information so far. I have one more following query.

I would like to calculate following path parameters:

1. Time delay of arrival of path at receiver/lights
  2. Full polarimetric transmission matrix of paths between transmitter/source and receiver/lights
  3. Direction of departure of path from transmitter/source
  4. Direction of arrival of path at receiver/lights

So could you please provide some information on how can i calculate these parameters with optix?

Thanks!

1., 3., and 4. are available naturally when implementing the algorithm to solve the connection between transmitter and receiver with a ray tracer.

1. Should be directly related to the distance traveled along the connecting path.
  2. I have no idea what that is. You’re the domain expert.
      1. That’s the first and last ray direction of the path connecting a transmitter with the receiver.

removed

Hi Aman, did you find any solution?