Compatible Cameras

Are cameras that are compatible with the Jetson TX2 also compatible with the jetson xavier, or if there is something different?

I am specifically looking at this one: 2MP Sony STARVIS IMX290 Ultra-low light Jetson TX2 Camera

Thanks!

TX2 cameras should be compatible with Xavier. I tried OV5693 from TX2 Dev kit and IMX274 from Leopard Imaging, both worked.
Other cameras may need different drivers for Xavier.

D3 Engineering is supporting our IMX390 standard and rugged camera modules on Xavier at launch, and will be adding more later this year.

Regards,
Jason

I noticed camera adapters from D3 for 96 boards, but they are out of stock and with Minimum order of 20.
The above products from D3 are interesting, the cameras are similar to ones from Leopard Imaging, but Leopard imaging has smaller adapter boards for Jetson’s:
https://leopardimaging.com/product/li-jeva-imx390-gmsl2/
and their kit is cheaper with driver for TX2, We have evaluated Leopard Imaging GSML2 IMX390 kit.
For most applications, the cable lengths are short, MIPI cameras are cheater solutions.
It appears D3 is for high end customers.

When you guys find cameras that are working with Jetson Xavier, please add them to the wiki in the Ecosystem/Cameras section or note it here.

I’ve added those already mentioned from this thread awhile.

I have no doubt that cameras worked for TX2 should work for Xavier, it just happens Nvidia OV5693 and Leopard Imaging IMX274 and other few cameras (e.g., leopard Imaging IMX185) have already been enabled in Jetpack 4.0 kernel and device tree.
E.g., Jetpack 4.0 DTB enabled 2 of IMX274 modes, 3840x2160 RAW10 and 1920x1080 RAW10. 3840x2160 mode produced dark frames, just like other Jetpack releases. 1920x1080 RAW10 mode works fine.
MIPI/GSML/FPD Cameras from other vendors will likely need new drivers for Xavier.
It would be nice to add status of driver support for the cameras in wiki. Driver is important part of working system.

I will be receiving my Xavier on Monday,
Will start porting the J20 Auvidea interface driver and the IMX219 (raspi cam V2.1) as
soon as i get it, will let you know when it’s done :)

e-CAM21_CUTX2 is not compatible with Xavier. But we are working to add support for all our Jetson Camera products in Xavier platform. [url]https://www.e-consystems.com/nvidia-jetson-camera.asp[/url]
Stay tuned

@e-con

I have a e-CAM21_CUTX2 on order with your company, when should I expect it to be compatible with the Xavier?

We have started our development, we will update you once we e-CAM21 Xavier support is ready. Get in touch with our techsupport@e-consystems.com for more details.

Physically, the same camera board interface that sits on the Jetson TX2 motherboard also sits on the underside of the Xavier devkit.
THus, you “can” plug in a CSI/MIPI camera into the Xavier.
But, the kernel and hardware are slightly different, and thus the drivers for TX2 won’t work without changes on the Xavier. Hence, why the providers of the various cameras need to update drivers.

Because of the fractured state of camera support on the Jetson, I ended up going with the Stereolabs Zed. It’s a USB 3 camera, and you get both camera images in parallel side-by-side (a very wide image) when you use it as a regular USB camera. So far, that bit works fine on the Xavier. Their additional SDK for stereo transform and depth buffer generation and so forth doesn’t work yet on Xavier, so you’d have to slice/process the bits you need yourself, though.

Hi snarky,
This is the same i am fighting at the moment “why the providers of the various cameras need to update drivers”,
are there changes that needs a “porting guide” ? doesn’t seem to be one yet.

Have moved mye Auvidea interface drive (J20) and my IMX219 driver that was working fine on TX2 (28.2) over to the Xavier, compiled dtb, compared it to the TX2 dtb and it looks perfectly correct.

Added my j20 and imx219.c to /kernel4.9/drivers/media/i2c, modified kconfig and make file in same dir, added in menuconfig.

Compiles just fine and i can modprobe them, so they are in the kernel, but they do not start their probing :(

There must be changes that are not documented yet…

Ive added a picture of the TX1 camera fitted to my Xavier on eLinux.org.

https://elinux.org/Jetson_TX1/TX2_OV5693

Also gstreamer pipelines to get you started the source plugin was renamed from nvcamerasrc to nvarguscamerasrc.

gst-launch-1.0 nvarguscamerasrc ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),width=1024, height=768, framerate=120/1, format=NV12' ! nvvidconv flip-method=0 ! nvegltransform ! nveglglessink -e
1 Like