Linux x64 410.73 Compatibility with GeForce GT 630

I have the GeForce GT 630 in my Linux computer. The Supported Products tab for Linux x64 410.73 lists my GPU as compatible. But when I tried to install it I got the following warnings and it would not install.

“WARNING: The NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 GPU installed in this system is supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx legacy Linux graphics drivers. Please visit Unix Drivers | NVIDIA for more information. The 410.73 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will ignore this GPU.”

“WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 410.73 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.”

Previous driver version: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.7
Installation method:

sudo init 3
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.73.run

There are GT 630 GPUs based on the Fermi architecture and I presume that’s what you have. Fermi support was dropped in new drivers.

Thanks. I accepted your answer.

I tried to do some research to clear up my confusion. I haven’t yet found a way to verify whether my GPU is of the Fermi variant or not. It would be helpful if NVIDIA would have indicated this issue somewhere on the driver page

This is indeed a subject that is confusing many people. E.g. there are also gtx8xx that are Fermi based, or Quadro Kxxx that are Maxwell instead of Kepler etc.
The method to distinguish is to run
sudo lspci -nn -d 10de:*
You’ll get an output like:
07:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] [10de:1292] (rev a1)
The chip used is a GK208M, the K stands for Kepler, F would be Fermi, M Maxwell, P Pascal, V Volta. Starting with the Turing RTX 2xxx series, this changed to e.g. RT102 instead of GT102.
If the chip name is not displayed, you can look up the pci-id (10de:1292) in the list of supported devices (product id: 1292)