Jetson TX2 4GB Module

External Media

NVIDIA has announced the Jetson TX2 4GB module, with the same compute performance of TX2, and the lower price of the TX1 module!

Specs of Jetson TX2 4GB include the following:

• 1.3 TOPS compute
  • 256-core Pascal integrated GPU
  • Dual-core NVIDIA Denver 2 64-bit CPU and quad-core ARM A57 Complex
  • 4GB 128-bit LPDDR4 Memory
  • 16GB eMMC 5.1 Storage

I/O is the same as Jetson TX2, with the exception of wireless which has been removed on Jetson TX2 4GB.
Memory and storage capacity of Jetson TX2 4GB are the same as Jetson TX1.
The Jetson TX2 4GB module will be available starting in July 2019, with volume pricing of $249 in quantities of 1000 units.

To get started today, you can flash the Jetson TX2 4GB Configuration Package to an existing Jetson TX2 devkit, to act as if they were the 4GB variant.
There will not be a developer kit created specifically for the Jetson TX2 4GB module, it will be able to be used interchangeably with the existing devkit.
Like Jetson TX2, Jetson TX2 4GB will be recieving future software upgrades to JetPack-L4T.

Jetson TX2 4GB Product Page…https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/buy/jetson-tx2-4gb
Config Package (L4T R28.3)…https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/jetson-tx2-4gb-configuration-package
Config Package (L4T R28.2.1)…http://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/jetson-tx2-as-tx2-4gb-configuration-package-r2821

I just wanted to confirm, the hardware on pre-existing Jetson TX2 kits already has 4GB of RAM? All that is needed to make the current version to perform the same is to do a firmware upgrade?

Thanks!

The regular TX2 has 8GB ram…apparently there is a new variation, sold only as a module (versus dev kit), and it differs by having 4GB ram instead of 8GB. But that’s a big price drop if you can live with 4GB ram (it’s like getting a supercharged TX1 at the price of a TX1, although it’s really a TX2 in architecture). Unless you specifically order a 4GB model expect to have 8GB of ram.

I don’t know what I was thinking. For some reason I was thinking my TX2 had 2GB instead of 8 GB… Interesting, $200 is a really good volume pricing.

That is correct, until Jetson TX2 4GB becomes available, the Jetson TX2 4GB Configuration Package is a patch meant to be applied to the existing Jetson TX2 (8GB) to L4T to make it act like the new 4GB variant.

Hi dusty_nv,

When will you release TX2 4GB’s BSP?

Thx
Yen

Hi Yen, support for the TX2 4GB will be released in the next version of the BSP, along with the production TX2 4GB module later in June. For now, you can continue using the Configuration Package from above with a normal TX2 devkit to make it appear like TX2 4GB.

Hi dusty_nv,

I know we can use Configuration package on TX2 devkit,
but we prefer evaluating TX2 4GB on our TX2 custom board.

Is TX2 4GB dtb file exactly the same as TX2?

Thx
Yen

It will be slightly different, since the TX2 4GB has different memory and doesn’t have the wireless chip, but the configuration from the package above should be an approximation of it. Until the production TX2 4GB is available in June that would be the closest option to reference for now.

Hi dusty_nv,

Does Linux for Tegra R28.3 support TX2 4GB?
Is “tegra186-quill-p3310-1000-as-0888.dts” the dts file for TX2 4GB?

If tegra186-quill-p3310-1000-as-0888.dts is the dts file for TX2 4GB,
why I didn’t see TX2 4GB’s config files in Linux_for_Tegra folder.

Thx
Yen

Hi Yen, please use this updated version of the Jetson TX2 4GB Configuration Package for L4T R28.3:

http://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/jetson-tx2-as-tx2-4gb-configuration-package

Is TX2 4GB still on track for release this month?

Hi ahuska, inventory is planned to be available from distributors starting 7/1. We plan to send out a wider update on Jetson TX2 4GB soon.

ackag

Hi chengxiang621, from the “Actual SoC ID” reading 0x00, it looks like it’s having problems communicating with the board. Can you try flashing the normal way (i.e. without using the TX2 4GB Configuration Package patch) to see if it works and get the board in a known good state? Thanks.

llm

The “jetson-tx2-as-4gb” part of that error indicates it is still trying to use the 4GB configuration package.

On your host PC, can you try starting from a fresh L4T extraction, or using JetPack 4.2 installer?

It would seem then that the module is still in the 4GB state. Just to confirm, do you have a TX2 8GB module that you want to setup as 4GB? Or do you have some pre-production 4GB module from NVIDIA?

Alternatively, if you try flashing it again using the 4GB Configuration Package, does it work this time? If not, are you using a Virtual Machine (VM) or a different Micro-USB cable?

This is the correct way to use it, using the ordinary TX2 devkit board. There isn’t a different devkit for the TX2 4GB module.

e is Micro - USB.