What is the purpose of networking Xavier and host PC to the router on setup?

As the topic states, what is the point of connecting both Xavier and the host PC to a router before flashing onto the Xavier? Isn’t there already a cable connecting from the host pc to the Jetson directly?

I want to make sure once I follow steps to complete the flashing of Xavier…

1. I could connect both Xavier and Host PC to a different router and it would work fine.
  2. If I plug in a WiFi adapter to Xavier, that I will be able to work with Xavier without any Ethernet connection.

Flash is done only over USB with the Xavier in recovery mode. Package addition occurs only after the flash is completed and the Xavier is fully booted into Linux…at which point the package manager is used. Initially the ssh is used to copy a repository file to the Xavier (and this makes it possible for “apt” and “apt-get” to see the CUDA content).

After a fresh flash WiFi is not set up…this is always more involved than simply plugging in a wire. Keep in mind that JetPack can run at any time and have “flash” unchecked…and thus work only with file or package changes. In this case, if WiFi has already be correctly set up, then you might be able to do the package additions over WiFi. JetPack simply has no way of knowing how to set up your WiFi after a fresh flash, but ethernet to a router only requires DHCP.

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10/ref=asc_df_B01MY7PL10/

I understand WiFi is not set up after a fresh flash, but if I have a device like the above… today on Raspberry Pi I can plug it in and give my Raspberry Pi WiFi without needing to install any drivers or modifying any files. Should I expect the same when I plug this same device into the Jetson (and not have it be plugged in to any ethernet?

It is possible this would work, but there is no way to guarantee without actually testing it. There are many cases where drivers and/or firmware have to be added before it would work (many Linux installs ship with support for all kinds of things not even installed…Xaviers and the initial flash will not have as many installed drivers for devices which don’t exist by default…Linux still supports it, but extra steps would be required).

Check the other thread for the comment on using the USB cable instead of an ethernet cable. You have to have USB2 or USB3 anyway.