Multiple cameras for Jetson TX2

Hi, I am planning to use Jetson Tx2 in designing unmanned ground vehicle (UGV) with multiple cameras to be accessed remotely. With this set-up, what kind of camera should I used?Is this possible?

TX2 can support up to 6 cameras.
You can consult with scaling partner to buy their devie to try.

Thank you ShaneCCC, but do you think it is possible to remotely access the camera?

Egan,

When you say ‘remotely’ what exactly do you mean? What is the remote link being used? The limiting factor will be bandwidth. What are your requirements? Do you need lossless video or is a lossy compression format OK? Do you have to access the data in real-time or could you record your video feeds on storage media for later retrieval?

Hi D3_growe,

Thank you for your response, I need to access the data in real-time because I will use multiple cameras (5 cameras) for navigation of the robot. High resolution is needed. Do you have any idea what kind of camera should I used?

Egan,

What is your remote link? How much bandwidth is available? Are low light conditions critical to your application? How much resolution do your algorithms truly need? I’m assuming navigational computation is handled onboard while some sort of other processing is done remotely?

My camera recommendations will be biased because the company I work for, D3 Engineering, designs and sells cameras and interface systems for Nvidia Jetson products. D3 is a preferred camera partner with Nvidia.

Hi D3_growe,

What do you mean remote link?Low light condition is not critical to my application, I just need to view the surroundings using the 5 camera’s. For resolution, maybe at least 5MP. Do you have this kind of camera?

Hi Egan,

Our RSP-TX2 is a good solution for multiple cameras that can be remotely located from the processing system. It uses FPD-Link III or GMSL2 Ser/Des protocol which can support the cameras being ~10-15 meters away from the TX2.

Currently, we support up to 2MP cameras. We will have 5MP and 8MP cameras soon, but likely not until late Q1/early Q2.

Regards,
Jason

I meant to also include the web link for RSP-TX2:

Egan,

What I meant by “remote link” was how you are accessing the video streams. Are you accessing the data via something like a cell modem? Or perhaps I misunderstood and you meant something like GMSL2 or FPDLINK.

Hi D3_jenslin,

Thank you for your response, In my application, I need longer distance because the robot will be used for search and rescue or even Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) mission. Jetson TX2 can be attached to the robot as long as I can remotely access the camera to view the environment.

Hi D3_growe,

The type of remote link is not critical to my application as long as I can remotely access the camera using a laptop.

The rtps is a way to access the camera remotely.

Hi ShaneCCC,

What camera would you recommend for this?

Hi Egan,

First, I think ShaneCCC meant “RTSP”. From what you are describing, I think you probably intend to have a cellular modem on your robot so that you can access video and data remotely? Is that correct?

Do you already have a TX2 baseboard designed for your robot? I believe you are looking for a complete system here, not just a camera. D3 could help connect many different cameras to Jetson TX2 and use some compression and streaming protocol to make the data available via the internet.

D3_growe’s questions in comment #6 in this thread are very important if my assumptions above are correct.

Regards,
Jason

Hi D3_jenslin,

Yes, you’re correct. I don’t have TX2 baseboard but a developer kit only. I am still studying all my requirements in the project. In my mentioned set-up do I need to use robot operating system (ROS)?

Hi Egan,

ROS could be a good option, but without knowing all of your requirements it is hard to say. When/If you are ready to discuss requirements and a potential service contract for us to help develop the system, please send us an email to sales@d3engineering.com

Regards,
Jason

Hi D3_jenslin,

Yes, we will contact you once we have finalized our requirements. Thank you for your help.