NSight Eclipse won't launch, Ubuntu 18.04

I’ve successfully installed CUDA, and the installation guide says everything is included when using the

sudo apt-get install cuda

command. I’ve tested it on a sample and it works, also the version is correct, and the PATH is set.

When I try launching NSight this happens:

If I type ‘nsight’ into terminal:

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
CompileCommand: exclude java/lang/reflect/Array.newInstance
Gtk-Message: 17:22:30.981: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller (file:/usr/local/cuda-10.1/libnsight/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.1.v20140909-1633.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Gtk-Message: 17:22:34.422: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Once NSight starts (either from the terminal or using the OS GUI) it asks me for a workspace folder, I use the default one.
Shortly after I get a prompt saying there’s an error log inside the workspace folder, the .log file read:

!SESSION 2019-03-25 17:04:10.454 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.2
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY com.nvidia.cuda.ide.build 4 0 2019-03-25 17:04:11.433
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.nvidia.cuda.ide.build [9]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core; bundle-version="8.3.0.201409172108"; singleton:="true"
       org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core [108]
         Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.cdt.core; bundle-version="[5.0.0,6.0.0)"
           -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.cdt.core; bundle-version="5.7.0.nvidia-qualifier"; singleton:="true"
              org.eclipse.cdt.core [88]
                Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.7))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1582)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1561)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1533)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1476)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)

I’m new to Linux so forgive if I’m not seeing the obvious.
Cheers.

It is likely that you haven’t installed openjdk-8, try:
sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk
And after the installation, you may use the command below to run your Nsight:
nsight -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java

2 Likes

Wow - I stumbled upon this link via a duckduckgo.com searching text out of the ~/.metadata/.log file. I had nearly the exact same error messages. Your solution fixed my problem - Thank You! -

Thanks, Nsight finally launches after running the command

But how do I make this permanent for starting nsight each time?

To answer my own query, the following link helped me in solving the issue, thanks :)

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1041766/jetson-agx-xavier/nsight-not-working-with-me/

Same error on ubuntu 19.10 with cuda 10.2 (18.04).

nsight -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
CompileCommand: exclude java/lang/reflect/Array.newInstance
Gtk-Message: 15:36:50.435: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller (file:/usr/local/cuda-10.2/libnsight/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.1.v20140909-1633.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Gtk-Message: 15:36:54.477: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
!SESSION 2020-03-03 12:33:30.169 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=11.0.6
java.vendor=Ubuntu
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY com.nvidia.cuda.ide.build 4 0 2020-03-03 12:33:31.441
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.nvidia.cuda.ide.build [9]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core; bundle-version="8.3.0.201409172108"; singleton:="true"
       org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core [108]
         Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.cdt.core; bundle-version="[5.0.0,6.0.0)"
           -> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.cdt.core; bundle-version="5.7.0.nvidia-qualifier"; singleton:="true"
              org.eclipse.cdt.core [88]

Hi ggmartins,
I’ve noticed that your OpenJDK version maybe 11,
here:

java.version=11.0.6

I finally solved my problem by installing OpenJDK-8,which is

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk

And launch it with

To fix this problem, this link below will teach you how to set your JVM to version 8, and you don’t need to type the command each time.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1041766/jetson-agx-xavier/nsight-not-working-with-me/

However I’m still not sure if Night will launch on OpenJDK-11.If you managed to do so, be sure to let me know. :)