Startup time

Hi,

I was wondering if one could tell me if there is a way to influence the startup time of the Xavier. Startup time will be critical for my embedded system.

Thanks in advance

Most of what you read for ordinary Ubuntu will also apply to the Xavier (except for boot stages prior to Linux taking over).

Basically I suggest you use a serial console to log boot and see where times are spent. It’s hard to just say in general what would be faster. A log would tell you the timestamps of starting and getting a DHCP request.

One example is that if networking is using DHCP and taking time to respond, then you could use a static IP address and not wait for DHCP.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. My startup time is about 50seconds. Which I would like to reduce to 10s if possible. In deed I can influence on the OS side which I will be able to test soon, but it seems that the “except for boot stages prior to Linux taking over” is also taking quiet an amount of time.

How can I measure the NVIDIA booting time?
Is the NVIDIA boot running when the NVIDIA logo is shown?
Do I have a way to shorten this booting time? for example if I do not install the CUDA dependencies when flashing?
The systemd-analyze shows a 25s startup time, does it mean that the NVIDIA booting takes also 25s?

Thanks for your time

There are several boot stages prior to the Linux kernel loading, most of which I do not know how to speed up.

Prior to R32.1 U-Boot was used on Xavier. U-Boot has done things like go through macros to search for boot media, and those could be removed and told to go straight to the known media, e.g., to always just go straight to eMMC without searching for USB SATA. Boot now occurs directly from CBoot and I do not know what might or might not be adjustable in CBoot (I have never looked at what might be edited in CBoot).

There are stages prior to CBoot, and it is unlikely any of those can be shortened, but someone else may know the answer to that.