JETSON NANO & PYCHARM

HI GUY:
I have a question that i want to install pycharm in jetson nano ,but faild … so is there anyone have experiences ? looking forward to reply.

1 Like

It won’t be possible unless JetBrains rebuilds it for arm as it is not open source. You can check and see if JetBrains provides a package. I use PyCharm on a daily basis and love it but I doubt it would perform very well on the nano. It does many things in the background like indexing that would have to be turned off to avoid grinding the system to a halt. You may prefer a lighter weight ide like vs code (there are instructions on the form on building it), or even vim with syntax highlighting on.

It was open sourced, apparently.

Hi there, I have it running. PyCharm CE, that is. The „only“ issue that I had was that fsnotifier is not natively supported, and won‘t be started from the application. So I had to patch IDEA to do so: native fsNotifier: try to use a rule-based filename as alternative for ex. aarch64 by jglathe · Pull Request #1140 · JetBrains/intellij-community · GitHub If you need a binary install package, I can put this somewhere on google drive or so.

For those who want to try it:

IDEA CE 191.7479 witch aarch64 fsnotifier: ideaIC-191.SNAPSHOT.tar.gz - Google Drive
PyCharm CE 191.7479 with aarch64 fsnotifier: pycharmPC-191.SNAPSHOT.tar.gz - Google Drive

1 Like

Install apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk, then download PyCharm from official website, after extracting go to the PyCharm’s folder, then to bin folder, then ./pycharm.sh

Goodluck.

2 Likes

I have pycharm installed on my jetson2gb. I forget where I found the information on how to do it, but luckily I made a text document for when I go do install in on my 4gb.

Here are the contents of the text file.

Go to Download PyCharm: Python IDE for Professional Developers by JetBrains

download the linux community version

in the downloads folder on your pi extract the files by right clicking on it and choosing extract here

open terminal press ctrl+alt+t

Type: cd Downloads then press enter

Type: ls then press enter

you should see pycharm-community-2019.2.2

or something similar to that.

Type: sudo mv pycharm-community-2019.2.2 /opt/pycharm-community-2019.2.2 then press enter

Type: cd /opt/pycharm-community-2019.2.2/bin then press enter

Type: ./pycharm.sh then press enter

All you have to do is:

Start PyCharm.

To create a desktop shortcut:

From the Tools menu, select “Create Desktop Entry…”
Tick the corresponding box if you want the launcher for all users.
If you selected “Create entry for all users”, you will be asked for your password.
A green message bubble should appear informing you that it was successful.
You should then be able to find PyCharm in the Unity Dash or pin it to the launcher.

I would only add the installation of java JDK and restart the jetson before installing the desired IDE.
So, the complete step-by-step would be:

1. Download the desired IDE IDEA CE 191.7479 or PyCharm CE 191.7479
  2. Install the java JDK with

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk -y

1. Reboot the jetson with

sudo reboot

1. After reboot go to the folder where you downloaded the IDE and run the installer. For instance for PyCharm:

pycharm-community-2019.1.3/bin/./pycharm.sh #No sudo required here

1. After this you can pretty much run pycharm repeating step 4. Or you can create an alias to call pycharm from anywhere or a desktop shortcut as described by @djhnsn043.
4 Likes

Is there a way to get the professional version to run? I was able to get the CE version using these instructions but I get:

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/intellij/idea/Main has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0