ROS Differential Drive build for Mapping and Navigation with Jetson Nano

Hello Everyone…

Recently I started learning ROS and I was able to do a differential drive robot build with 2D Mapping with Gmapping and 3D mapping with RTAB-Map with Microsoft Kinect v1. So I’m here to share my experience with you… I posted a video on youtube of the build i did. I named it NavBot.

So i was able perform SLAM with Gmapping and i had to build gmapping from the source as it is not updated for ROS melodic. I added gmapping source package files into my project git so it will be easy to use. I used Differential drive controller from ROS Control to get odometry.

Here is the Link to project GitHub repository - GitHub - imeshsps/ros-navbot: Indoor Mapping and Navigation Robot Build with ROS and Nvidia Jetson Nano

If i visualize 3D point Clouds in Nano, It seems to get stuck so i did visualizations in my laptop connected to ROS master running on the Nano. Other than that everything worked fine.

So if you are doing a similar build, I think this will help and if you having problems related to this, Please comment it here i’m really happy to help.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Really cool project, thanks for sharing!

Good project, could you help me I’m trying to connect Microsoft Kinect v1 with Ros in the nano jetson but I have not been successful, I need to use skeleton trakin

Thank you…

Thanks… To use kinect with ros I used openni_launch
ROS package which is available for Melodic and also freenect_launch also worked. But it is only there for kinetic. Did you tried with openni_launch ? I added the links below…

http://wiki.ros.org/openni_launch
http://wiki.ros.org/freenect_launch

Hi, I really appreciate your work and the amount of work you put into it. I was thinking about making a similar project at my college but i don’t have much experience in jetson nano. is there any way i could contact you if your are willing to help me out ?. I really wanted to try this myself. Thank you !

1 Like

Hey… ask anything you need here, i’ll help as much as possible…

2 Likes

Im kinda new to this so im afraid i may ask basic stuffs and things may get loong here but anyway here i go:

1. I really don’t know where to start. i just have my jetson running, i have my kinect v1 with me and pretty much all components you used.

2. I wanna know if i need to configure the jetson specifically for this project , dependencies to install. Im currently running jetson in headed mode.

3. I went through your github code. But im not sure how to get it running

I really appreciate if you could provide a step by step instruction ( any help form you means a lot to me actually) to make this myself

Nice job, thank you for sharing

1 Like