omxh264enc and nvvidconv NOT working unless...

I have made a gst-launch prototype script to encode and stream a high bandwidth video stream. So far so good, performance and quality are great, very little CPU usage, the hardware is great.

However, I must login on a graphical session and run my script from within that session for it to work. I have not found a way to automate the start of such script. I cannot put in a startup file (systemd or rc.local) the script will run but throw a bunch of cryptic errors.

For now I will mitigate by installing x11vnc and perform a graphical login from my laptop and launch the script manually, but what could it be that prevent this to work? Ideally this would be a headless system.

Please note that a physical screen MUST be connected to either HDMI or DP even for the x11vnc trick to work; if the system starts without a monitor connected, the gstreamer script will not work.

Hi,
Please share the gstreamer pipeline to reproduce the issue. X is enable by default in each release and all tests are done with it. It is possible certain cases do not work without X. We may need to check if your usecase can be supported without X.

You can disable graphical interface and write directly on HDMI using:

... nvvidconv ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)1920, height=(int)1080 ! nvdrmvideosink -e

you need just to write a systemd script to run your application.

PS:
To disable GUI on boot, run:

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

To enable GUI again issue the command:

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

Thank you. The pipeline is below;

keep in mind I do not use the local display. I want to capture from a v4l2 interface (in principle it could be a USB webcam) and stream it to the YouTube. When I start this pipeline manually in the GUI, it works real well.

/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue max-size-time=0 ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420' ! omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 iframeinterval=60 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! video/x-h264 ! queue ! flvmux name=mux ! rtmpsink location="rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/$key" alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2 ! queue ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg ! aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 ! mux.

I do not intend to use the local HDMI at all. The video is encoded and then streamed over the internet.

Of I course tried to write a systemd script and, as I said in the top message, the script starts but the pipeline throws a bunch of errors. The only way to make it work successfully is to 1) have a monitor physically attached to the Jetson Nano 2) login manually and run the command from a local terminal.

I tried to disable the GUI but I get the same instability/errors that totally prevent streaming.

I’m quite new to gstreamer but in my opinion there are some confused things:
/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src !
video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 !
queue max-size-time=0 !
nvvidconv ! ‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420’ !
omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 iframeinterval=60 !
video/x-h264 !
h264parse !
video/x-h264 ! ← why again?
queue ! flvmux name=mux !
rtmpsink location=“rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/$key” alsasrc device=“hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0” ! ← why you send stream to rtmp before to mux audio with it?
audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2 !
queue ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg !
aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 !
mux.

in my opinion should be:

/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! 
video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! 
queue max-size-time=0 ! 
nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420' ! 
omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 iframeinterval=60 ! 
video/x-h264 ! 
h264parse ! 
mux. alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! 
audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2 ! 
voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! aacparse !
queue ! mux. flvmux streamable=true name=mux ! 
rtmpsink location="rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/$key"

Hi,
Please check if below post helps:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1050739/jetson-nano/how-to-boot-jetson-nano-in-text-mode-/post/5365850/#5365850[/url]

Well unfortunately my problem is not that I don’t know how to start a script at boot, but that such script only works if I login manually. I’ll perform more tests.

It seems like the part:

nvvidconv ! ‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420’

That uses the hardware format converter is the culprit. If I use software conversion, that obviously uses CPU to turn data around (about 70% of one CPU in my case) I can run the script without a graphical environment, just by having systemd or rc.local start the script.

I have tried to look into the documentation and - I have not found any explicit dependency between nvvidconv and a graphical login. Maybe the drive is not going to be initialized, memory not allocated?

Very odd

No, I can confirm that nvvidconv works also without gui. I use it with gui disabled and works like a charm.

Hi manoweb,
Please share full patch and steps in detail for r32.2.1/Jetson Nano. So that we can reproduce the issue first. Certain plugins such as nveglglessink have dependency to X. But nvvidconv should not. Probably some other reasones trigger the failure.

On what pipeline exactly so that I can test it? Did you try to run the pipeline I gave earlier:

/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue max-size-time=0 ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420' ! omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 iframeinterval=60 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! video/x-h264 ! queue ! flvmux name=mux ! rtmpsink location="rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/$key" alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2 ! queue ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg ! aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 ! mux.

In the previous discussion you referred to using HDMI output that is not my intention; I want to take uncompressed video, encode it and stream it.

You use $key that is an environment variable set by you. Are you sure that when you start your pipeline from systemd is declared?

I am now running 31.1.1. Unfortunately having to upgrade the whole system all the time is resource-intensive. I will not be able to update right away to 32.1.1.

However, this is the full script that uses nvvidconv, that does NOT work unless I login manually:

#!/bin/bash

export GST_DEBUG=3
# test key
key="aacc-ccaa-aacc-ccaa"

while true
do
        # The following does not seem to work unless one logs in manually
        sleep 1
done

This is the version of the script that does work in a headless system, no problem:

#!/bin/bash

export GST_DEBUG=3
# test key
key="aacc-ccaa-aacc-ccaa"

while true
do
        /usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue max-size-time=0 ! videoconvert ! omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! video/x-h264 ! queue ! flvmux name=mux streamable=true ! rtmpsink location="rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/$key" alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw,rate=44100 ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg ! aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 ! mux.
        sleep 1
done

To test this, I have a v4l2 USB3 device that does video capture at 1920x1080.
If you do not care to setup a proper Youtube account to test this, just start a networking usage utility (I use iptraf-ng) and check there is a steady ~5-6Mbps stream up to a youtube server. If you only see 50-60kbps the stream is not working.

Note how the first pipeline uses nvvidconv ! ‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420’ to translate the v4l2 output for the encoder while the working pipeline uses a software approach with ‘videoconvert’

In fact, I just tried, one needs to have a proper youtube key instead of the mock key=“aacc-ccaa-aacc-ccaa” I wrote on the forum. I am performing some tests with filesink to see if it produces the same behavior.

Hi,
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-r311
It is a non-production release for Xavier. You should use another version for Jetson Nano. Please run ‘head -1 /etc/nv_tegra_release’ to get the information.

I’m sorry, I meant to type I’m running 32.1.1, and I cannot immediately update this system to 32.2.1:

# head -1 /etc/nv_tegra_release
# R32 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 14531094, BOARD: t210ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Wed Mar 13 07:46:13 UTC 2019

By the way, in the script above, one can substitute the rtmpsink element with either “fakesink” (but then there is no feedback) or “filesink location=‘file.bin’”. With the latter, the “working” pipeline with software conversion shows a steady increase of the size of the output, the one that uses nvvidconv stays stuck at one size for minutes, then sometimes spits out something, then again stops. That is, unless I log in manually in the system, with a physical monitor attached.

/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue max-size-time=0 ! nvvidconv ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420' ! omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 iframeinterval=60 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! video/x-h264 ! queue ! flvmux name=mux streamable=true ! filesink location='nvconv.bin' alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2 ! queue ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg ! aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 ! mux.
/usr/bin/gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue max-size-time=0 ! videoconvert ! omxh264enc bitrate=5000000 ! video/x-h264 ! h264parse ! video/x-h264 ! queue ! flvmux name=mux streamable=true ! filesink location='videoconv.bin' alsasrc device="hw:CARD=Capture,DEV=0" ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw,rate=44100 ! voaacenc bitrate=128000 ! audio/mpeg ! aacparse ! audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4 ! mux.