CUDA Toolkit and SDK 2.3 betas available to registered developers
  1 / 5    
The CUDA Toolkit and SDK 2.3 betas are now available to registered developers. They include the following features:[list]
[*]The CUFFT Library now supports double-precision transforms and includes significant performance improvements for single-precision transforms as well. See the CUDA Toolkit release notes for details.
[*]The CUDA-GDB hardware debugger is now available for all supported Linux platforms and is included in the CUDA Toolkit installer.
[*]GPUs in an SLI group are now enumerated individually, so you can achieve multi-GPU performance even when SLI is enabled for graphics.
[*]New support for fp16 <-> conversion intrinsics allows storage of data in fp16 format with computation in fp32. Use of fp16 format is ideal for applications that require higher numerical range than 16-bit integer but less precision than fp32 and reduces memory space and bandwidth consumption.
[*]The CUDA SDK has been updated to include:[list]
[*]A new pitchLinearTexure code sample that shows how to effeciently texture from pitch linear memory.
[*]A new PTXJIT code sample illustrating how to use cuModuleLoadDataEx() to load PTX source from memory instead of loading a file.
[*]Two new code samples for Windows, showing how to use the NVCUVID library to decode MPEG-2, VC-1, and H.264 content and pass frames to OpenGL or Direct3D for display.
[*]Updated code samples showing how to properly align CUDA kernel function parameters so the same code works on both x32 and x64 systems.
[/list]
[*]The Visual Profiler (packaged separately) includes several enhancements:[list]
[*]All memory transfer API calls are now reported
[*]Support for profiling multiple contexts per GPU.
[*]Synchronized clocks for requested start time on the CPU and start/end times on the GPU for all kernel launches and memory transfers.
[*]Global memory load and store efficiency metrics for GPUs with compute capability 1.2 and higher.
[/list]
[*]The CUDA Driver for MacOS is now packaged separately from the CUDA Toolkit.
[*]Support for major Linux distros, MacOS X, and Windows:
[list]
[*]Fedora 10, RHEL 4.7 & 5.3, SLED 10.2 & 11.0, OpenSUSE 11.1, and Ubuntu 8.10 & 9.04
[*]Windows XP/Vista/7 with Visual Studio 8 (VC2005) and 9 (VC2008)
[*]MacOS X 10.5.6 and later (32-bit)
[/list]
[/list]
The CUDA Toolkit and SDK 2.3 betas are now available to registered developers. They include the following features:

• The CUFFT Library now supports double-precision transforms and includes significant performance improvements for single-precision transforms as well. See the CUDA Toolkit release notes for details.
  • The CUDA-GDB hardware debugger is now available for all supported Linux platforms and is included in the CUDA Toolkit installer.
  • GPUs in an SLI group are now enumerated individually, so you can achieve multi-GPU performance even when SLI is enabled for graphics.
  • New support for fp16 <-> conversion intrinsics allows storage of data in fp16 format with computation in fp32. Use of fp16 format is ideal for applications that require higher numerical range than 16-bit integer but less precision than fp32 and reduces memory space and bandwidth consumption.
  • The CUDA SDK has been updated to include:
    • A new pitchLinearTexure code sample that shows how to effeciently texture from pitch linear memory.
    • A new PTXJIT code sample illustrating how to use cuModuleLoadDataEx() to load PTX source from memory instead of loading a file.
    • Two new code samples for Windows, showing how to use the NVCUVID library to decode MPEG-2, VC-1, and H.264 content and pass frames to OpenGL or Direct3D for display.
    • Updated code samples showing how to properly align CUDA kernel function parameters so the same code works on both x32 and x64 systems.

• The Visual Profiler (packaged separately) includes several enhancements:
    • All memory transfer API calls are now reported
    • Support for profiling multiple contexts per GPU.
    • Synchronized clocks for requested start time on the CPU and start/end times on the GPU for all kernel launches and memory transfers.
    • Global memory load and store efficiency metrics for GPUs with compute capability 1.2 and higher.

• The CUDA Driver for MacOS is now packaged separately from the CUDA Toolkit.
  • Support for major Linux distros, MacOS X, and Windows:

• Fedora 10, RHEL 4.7 & 5.3, SLED 10.2 & 11.0, OpenSUSE 11.1, and Ubuntu 8.10 & 9.04
    • Windows XP/Vista/7 with Visual Studio 8 (VC2005) and 9 (VC2008)
    • MacOS X 10.5.6 and later (32-bit)

Posted 06/20/2009 06:17 AM   
#3 on that list is probably the most important for most people here (hi GTX 295 users)...

the feature I really like didn't quite make it into the beta, so you have something to look forward to for release as well.
#3 on that list is probably the most important for most people here (hi GTX 295 users)...

the feature I really like didn't quite make it into the beta, so you have something to look forward to for release as well.

Posted 06/20/2009 06:19 AM   
No vista driver for the new toolkit ?
No vista driver for the new toolkit ?

Posted 06/20/2009 06:28 AM   
It's a nice change to have a current Ubuntu distribution supported while it's still the current distribution. Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now. Has the team gotten bigger?
It's a nice change to have a current Ubuntu distribution supported while it's still the current distribution. Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now. Has the team gotten bigger?

Posted 06/20/2009 06:41 AM   
Ugh, CUDA 2.3 won't support Ubuntu 8.04LTS, will it? That is bad news for me.
Ugh, CUDA 2.3 won't support Ubuntu 8.04LTS, will it? That is bad news for me.

Posted 06/20/2009 07:00 AM   
[quote name='StickGuy' post='554997' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:41 PM']It's a nice change to have a current Ubuntu distribution supported while it's still the current distribution. Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now. Has the team gotten bigger?[/quote]
Yes, and I complained a lot about the lack of 9.04 support in the original 2.3 plan... :)

sergeyn, there should be a new Vista driver as well. If it's missing, I'll try to find out over the weekend (but it probably won't be resolved until Monday).

I don't know what the status of 8.04 is in final, but I imagine it will be dropped.
[quote name='StickGuy' post='554997' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:41 PM']It's a nice change to have a current Ubuntu distribution supported while it's still the current distribution. Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly now. Has the team gotten bigger?

Yes, and I complained a lot about the lack of 9.04 support in the original 2.3 plan... :)

sergeyn, there should be a new Vista driver as well. If it's missing, I'll try to find out over the weekend (but it probably won't be resolved until Monday).

I don't know what the status of 8.04 is in final, but I imagine it will be dropped.

Posted 06/20/2009 07:18 AM   
[quote name='tmurray' post='555004' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:18 AM']sergeyn, there should be a new Vista driver as well. If it's missing, I'll try to find out over the weekend (but it probably won't be resolved until Monday).[/quote]
Thanks.
[quote name='tmurray' post='555004' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:18 AM']sergeyn, there should be a new Vista driver as well. If it's missing, I'll try to find out over the weekend (but it probably won't be resolved until Monday).

Thanks.

Posted 06/20/2009 07:21 AM   
[code]cudadriver_2.3-beta_winxp_64_190.15_general.zip[/code]

That file won't load for me. Says page cannot be displayed. Is it just me, or... ?

Christian
cudadriver_2.3-beta_winxp_64_190.15_general.zip

That file won't load for me. Says page cannot be displayed. Is it just me, or... ?

Christian

Posted 06/20/2009 10:44 AM   
[quote name='tmurray' post='554992' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:17 AM'][*]The Visual Profiler (packaged separately) includes several enhancements:[list]
[*]All memory transfer API calls are now reported
[list][/quote]
Great, thanks !!
Does that also mean texture read/writes are counted in the GB/s throughput??

thanks
eyal
[quote name='tmurray' post='554992' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:17 AM']
  • The Visual Profiler (packaged separately) includes several enhancements:[list]
  • All memory transfer API calls are now reported
  • [list]

Great, thanks !!

Does that also mean texture read/writes are counted in the GB/s throughput??

thanks

eyal

Posted 06/20/2009 07:23 PM   
    Sounds very cool, waiting for the release version!
    Sounds very cool, waiting for the release version!

Posted 06/20/2009 08:08 PM   
    I'm looking forward to that fp16 conversion!

Is that fp16<->fp32 done in hardware (so it's likely a one-clock op?) or is it a new library intrinsic that's convenient but not much faster than if we had written our own functions?
    I'm looking forward to that fp16 conversion!

Is that fp16<->fp32 done in hardware (so it's likely a one-clock op?) or is it a new library intrinsic that's convenient but not much faster than if we had written our own functions?

Posted 06/21/2009 03:30 AM   
    I've submit an application to be a registered developer. Hope it will be accepted before CUDA 2.3 is released officially /crying.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':'(' />

Edited: Thanks heavens, the God has heard my wish. Will try it on Kubuntu 9.04 shortly.
    I've submit an application to be a registered developer. Hope it will be accepted before CUDA 2.3 is released officially /crying.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':'(' />

Edited: Thanks heavens, the God has heard my wish. Will try it on Kubuntu 9.04 shortly.

Posted 06/21/2009 03:14 PM   
    [quote name='cvnguyen' post='555000' date='Jun 20 2009, 12:00 AM']Ugh, CUDA 2.3 won't support Ubuntu 8.04LTS, will it? That is bad news for me.[/quote]

That is correct. Ubuntu-8.04 will not be supported after CUDA_2.2.
    [quote name='cvnguyen' post='555000' date='Jun 20 2009, 12:00 AM']Ugh, CUDA 2.3 won't support Ubuntu 8.04LTS, will it? That is bad news for me.

That is correct. Ubuntu-8.04 will not be supported after CUDA_2.2.

Posted 06/21/2009 04:24 PM   
    [quote name='netllama' post='555637' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:24 AM']That is correct. Ubuntu-8.04 will not be supported after CUDA_2.2.[/quote]

It would be nice if support could be maintained for the LTS series - if there are no functionality/performance issues - at least until the next release.

Is there something missing in 8.04 (2.6.24/gcc 4.2.4) that would hold back CUDA? I don't use X at all, so that is not an issue.
    [quote name='netllama' post='555637' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:24 AM']That is correct. Ubuntu-8.04 will not be supported after CUDA_2.2.

It would be nice if support could be maintained for the LTS series - if there are no functionality/performance issues - at least until the next release.

Is there something missing in 8.04 (2.6.24/gcc 4.2.4) that would hold back CUDA? I don't use X at all, so that is not an issue.

Posted 06/21/2009 04:54 PM   
    [quote name='ldpaniak' post='555655' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:54 AM']It would be nice if support could be maintained for the LTS series - if there are no functionality/performance issues - at least until the next release.

Is there something missing in 8.04 (2.6.24/gcc 4.2.4) that would hold back CUDA? I don't use X at all, so that is not an issue.[/quote]

I agree with this comment. LTS releases are preferable on servers. It will be inconvenient to upgrade the OS on servers just for letting CUDA work.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will be supported until mid 2011, and some people do not upgrade OS before that time. I think CUDA team should still work on it until at least mid 2010 when Ubuntu 10.04LTS is released.
    [quote name='ldpaniak' post='555655' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:54 AM']It would be nice if support could be maintained for the LTS series - if there are no functionality/performance issues - at least until the next release.

I agree with this comment. LTS releases are preferable on servers. It will be inconvenient to upgrade the OS on servers just for letting CUDA work.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will be supported until mid 2011, and some people do not upgrade OS before that time. I think CUDA team should still work on it until at least mid 2010 when Ubuntu 10.04LTS is released.

Posted 06/22/2009 02:02 AM   
      1 / 5    
    Scroll To Top