Develop without Visual Studio?

Hi

I just downloaded and installed CUDA on my Windows XP system. In the SDK, I see various sample applications - like options pricing, etc.
When I run the SDK browser, I can run these applications, too.

I have 2 questions/issues:

a) Can I make any code changes to these sample applications, and rebuild and run them? I don’t have microsoft visual studio installed.

B) When I try running nvcc, I get an error message - something like “compiler cl.exe not found in path”

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The cuda programming environment compiles codes a little differently. First of all cl.exe is a process info for Microsoft® C/C++ Compiler Driver. (like mingcw for gcc etc)
The nvcc compiler compiles the cuda section of the codes and while normal c/c++ codes are handled by cl compiler.
I hope that helps and answers both your questions

Regards
AJ

You need to run this from a command prompt that has the Microsoft compiler in the PATH.

If you don’t currently have Visual Studio installed, then installing the Microsoft Windows SDKs will give you the required compilers.

Christian

I have similar questions:

1-Is it necessary to have Microsoft Visual studio for compiling CUDA programs ?

2-And what if I am running from Linux ?

3-Why is CUDA dependent on Microsoft’s products?

4-Is there any substitute for MV Studio because my laptop has Celeron Processor and MV Studio makes it very slow.

Thanks in advance

1-No, install Windows SDK to get what you need.

2-Then CUDA uses gcc, or the c compiler you choose.

3-It’s dependent on a compiler for the C/C++ code.

4-You can use any editor you want, as long as you have a compiler nvcc can use for the C/C++ code.

@martiert can you please describe the process or share link to do process for making build using windows SDK.

1 Like