Quadro vs Geforce GTX

Hello:

Will be getting a system with Quadro 2000; so started looking at GPGPU.

Nvidia provides a link comparing Quadro cards for GPGPU. I cannot find a similar link for GTX cards nor can I find any comparison of Quadro and GTX for GPGPU.

Two questions.

1. What are the differences between Quadro and GTX for GPGPU? Only numerical work; do not care about graphics.

2. Can one mix Quadro and GTX cards? Only one will be used to drive monitors. The other is for computing. Main reason: GTX is cheaper than Quadro. What does one give up with GTX?

Thanks

Hello:

Will be getting a system with Quadro 2000; so started looking at GPGPU.

Nvidia provides a link comparing Quadro cards for GPGPU. I cannot find a similar link for GTX cards nor can I find any comparison of Quadro and GTX for GPGPU.

Two questions.

1. What are the differences between Quadro and GTX for GPGPU? Only numerical work; do not care about graphics.

2. Can one mix Quadro and GTX cards? Only one will be used to drive monitors. The other is for computing. Main reason: GTX is cheaper than Quadro. What does one give up with GTX?

Thanks

Hi

In terms of GPGPU you give up full double precision performance which is available for the most expensive Quadros, and memory size on the same cards. Otherwise GTX and Quadro use the same chip. So if two cards have the same amount of cores they should be roughly same speed (GeForce are probably a bit faster due to higher clock frequencies). Btw to have the equivalent of a GTX470 you need to buy the Quadro 6000. There is no GTX480/GTX580 equivalent at the quadro side. Your quadro 2000 is equivalent to the GTS450.

You can have both quadro and GeForce cards in one PC.

Cheers
Ceearem

Hi

In terms of GPGPU you give up full double precision performance which is available for the most expensive Quadros, and memory size on the same cards. Otherwise GTX and Quadro use the same chip. So if two cards have the same amount of cores they should be roughly same speed (GeForce are probably a bit faster due to higher clock frequencies). Btw to have the equivalent of a GTX470 you need to buy the Quadro 6000. There is no GTX480/GTX580 equivalent at the quadro side. Your quadro 2000 is equivalent to the GTS450.

You can have both quadro and GeForce cards in one PC.

Cheers
Ceearem

If you are talking about Fermi-series, this post lists the differences between Tesla and GeForce:

It’s not clear if Quadro has all of Tesla’s extra features, or just some of them. (The extra DMA engine was confirmed in another thread to be in the compute capability 2.0 Quadro cards. Not sure about ECC.) Given that Tesla cards now can run a display, I would hope the Quadro would have all the Tesla features.

If you are talking about Fermi-series, this post lists the differences between Tesla and GeForce:

It’s not clear if Quadro has all of Tesla’s extra features, or just some of them. (The extra DMA engine was confirmed in another thread to be in the compute capability 2.0 Quadro cards. Not sure about ECC.) Given that Tesla cards now can run a display, I would hope the Quadro would have all the Tesla features.

Thanks.

After posting the query, I found this link.Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units. This provides info on several parameters but not on the DP vs SP issue.

Do Quadro and Geforce cards support all the technologies–CUDA, OpenCL, DirectCompute?

About mixing two cards in the same PC, I was under the impression that they had to be identical. Is this only for SLI (or something similar)?

Thanks.

After posting the query, I found this link.Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units. This provides info on several parameters but not on the DP vs SP issue.

Do Quadro and Geforce cards support all the technologies–CUDA, OpenCL, DirectCompute?

About mixing two cards in the same PC, I was under the impression that they had to be identical. Is this only for SLI (or something similar)?

Jup for SLI you shoiuld have two identical cards. But SLI has nothing to do with CUDA, its for graphics only.

Jup for SLI you shoiuld have two identical cards. But SLI has nothing to do with CUDA, its for graphics only.

I don’t know about the quadro card’s but the gtx460 as reported by GPU-Z support’s OpenCL,Cuda,Physx,and DirectCompute 5.0.

And to try to further clarify mixing two different gpu’s in the same system the best result’s are obtained when you use gpu’s
from the same or close to the same release period.

I don’t know about the quadro card’s but the gtx460 as reported by GPU-Z support’s OpenCL,Cuda,Physx,and DirectCompute 5.0.

And to try to further clarify mixing two different gpu’s in the same system the best result’s are obtained when you use gpu’s
from the same or close to the same release period.

Thanks guys.

The idea is to use one for driving the display and the second for GPGPU.
GTX 580 seems to consume a lot of power–more than the 2 cpus and the Quadro 2000 put together.

Thanks guys.

The idea is to use one for driving the display and the second for GPGPU.
GTX 580 seems to consume a lot of power–more than the 2 cpus and the Quadro 2000 put together.

I wondered about that too… I had to ask in that thread!

GF100 Quadro features are a superset of GF100 Tesla’s. You get all the Tesla features (2xDMA, DP speed, ECC) plus SLI and faster workstation OpenGL (especially in AutoCAD and similar.)

I wondered about that too… I had to ask in that thread!

GF100 Quadro features are a superset of GF100 Tesla’s. You get all the Tesla features (2xDMA, DP speed, ECC) plus SLI and faster workstation OpenGL (especially in AutoCAD and similar.)

I think the Quadro does not support TCC mode that use WDM driver model.

I think the Quadro does not support TCC mode that use WDM driver model.

But the GTX580 is also nearly 3-4 times faster than a Quadro 2000.

But the GTX580 is also nearly 3-4 times faster than a Quadro 2000.