Register usage

Hello all,

I wanted to increase the register usage for a kernel. So I set the compilation flag --maxrregcount=16 for the code below,

__global__ void kernel(float* xIN,float* yIN,float* zIN, float* tmIN, int NumVertices,

float* xOUT,float* yOUT,float* zOUT  )

{

int i = threadIdx.x + blockIdx.x*blockDim.x; // get thread ID

float x;

float y;

float z;

if(i<NumVertices){

x = xIN[i];

y = yIN[i];

z = zIN[i];

xOUT[i] = tmIN[0] * x + tmIN[4] * y + tmIN[8] * z + tmIN[12];

yOUT[i] = tmIN[1] * x + tmIN[5] * y + tmIN[9] * z + tmIN[13];

zOUT[i] = tmIN[2] * x + tmIN[6] * y + tmIN[10] * z + tmIN[14];

}

}

The --ptxas-options=-v option shows,

ptxas info : Compiling entry function ‘Z9transformPfS_S_S_iS_S_S’ for ‘sm_13’

ptxas info : Used 8 registers, 64+16 bytes smem

But when I set --maxrregcount=32 and also declare some extra variables in the kernel like below, still the register usage is same?

__global__ void transform(float* xIN,float* yIN,float* zIN, float* tmIN, int NumVertices,

float* xOUT,float* yOUT,float* zOUT  )

{

int i = threadIdx.x + blockIdx.x*blockDim.x; // get thread ID

float x;

float y;

float z;

register float a,b,c,d,f,r,w,q,s,h,n;

a=b=c=d=f=r=w=q=s=h=n=4;

a=b+c+d+f+r+w+q+s+h+n;

a=b+a;

if(i<NumVertices){

x = xIN[i];

y = yIN[i];

z = zIN[i];

xOUT[i] = tmIN[0] * x + tmIN[4] * y + tmIN[8] * z + tmIN[12];

yOUT[i] = tmIN[1] * x + tmIN[5] * y + tmIN[9] * z + tmIN[13];

zOUT[i] = tmIN[2] * x + tmIN[6] * y + tmIN[10] * z + tmIN[14];

}

}

ptxas info : Compiling entry function ‘Z9transformPfS_S_S_iS_S_S’ for ‘sm_13’

ptxas info : Used 8 registers, 64+16 bytes smem

note: arch=13

Thanks for any help in this regards.

–maxrregcount does only set an upper limit to the number of registers to use, it doesn’t force the compiler to use more registers.

Moreover, in your second example, none of your variables are used for something “useful”. This is just dead code that one can expect the compiler to eliminate.

So any way to force compiler to use registers?

Write code that would benefit from using registers. In your sample case, each thread could loop over multiple values for [font=“Courier New”]i[/font], so that [font=“Courier New”]tmIN[/font] could be kept in registers and thus read less often.

It is not clear what you are trying to accomplish by artifically inflating register usage, but a relatively effective way to do that would be to multiply some variable by a math function that evaluates to 1.0f (you might want to try powf(1.0f,1.0f), make sure it actually evalutes to 1.0f in case there are rounding errors). Obviously this approach would also increase dynamic instruction count which may or may not conflict with the purpose of the exercise.