Tear-free video with compositing using VDPAU possible?

I have a G210 and have always had to disable compositing to get tear-free playback and good performance with the deinterlacers using VDPAU on whatever distro I was running. Is it possible to use compositing and still get perfect playback?

I think it depends on the compositor.

I’ve had success in the past, but in my experience, you can’t get tear-free anything with a GNOME3-based shell such as GNOME Shell, Unity, etc.

Which are you using?

Currently GNOME3 fallback mode in Fedora 17 as compositing is disabled in X. With compositing disabled I get perfectly smooth video even with the Advanced 2x de-interlacer. I believe I had to disable compositing in Ubuntu also but even then I couldn’t run the Advanced de-interlacer.

So, is this an issue with the nvidia driver?

This is going to become a big problem if so as more and more desktop environments require compositing to work at all.

Hi thecapsaicinkid,

Are you also experiencing these problems if the VDPAU window is fullscreen?

Thanks,

• Pierre-Loup

Plagman, I’m not the OP, but I notice the same thing, and it does happen regardless of whether the video is windowed or fullscreen.

Fullscreen.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=669122

Any idea why then I cannot run the better vdpau de-interlacers with compositing enabled?