MetaMode

Hello nVidia world, I am trying to use the Metamode option in my xorg.conf. So far this is the only one I got to work

• Option "metamodes" "DFP-1: 1280x720 { ViewPortOut=1240x680+20+20, ViewPortIn=1280x720 }"
  • I need it to come a little bit more but, no matter what I do it just expands and makes it worse. I don’t know how much more because I did take screenshots but I wasn’t thinking straight and of course they came out like nothing was wrong. I really wish nVidia never took out the over scan compensation. I don’t know what ever possessed them to do so. When they did provide that option I had it set to 92 if that helps any. Also below is my xorg.conf file that I had nVidia make up in the nvidia-settings options.

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: version 313.09 (buildd@seaborgium) Wed Dec 12 16:31:30 UTC 2012

Section “ServerLayout”
    Identifier “Layout0”
    Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
    InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
    InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
    Option “Xinerama” “0”
    EndSection

Section “Files”
    EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
    # generated from default
    Identifier “Mouse0”
    Driver “mouse”
    Option “Protocol” “auto”
    Option “Device” “/dev/psaux”
    Option “Emulate3Buttons” “no”
    Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
    EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
    # generated from default
    Identifier “Keyboard0”
    Driver “kbd”
    EndSection

Section “Monitor”
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier “Monitor0”
    VendorName “Unknown”
    ModelName “SAMSUNG PDP”
    HorizSync 30.0 - 48.0
    VertRefresh 55.0 - 65.0
    Option “DPMS”
    EndSection

Section “Device”
    Identifier “Device0”
    Driver “nvidia”
    VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
    BoardName “GeForce 210”
    EndSection

Section “Screen”
    Identifier “Screen0”
    Device “Device0”
    Monitor “Monitor0”
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option “Stereo” “0”
    Option “metamodes” “DFP-1: 1280x720 { ViewPortOut=1240x680+20+20, ViewPortIn=1280x720 }”
    SubSection “Display”
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Thank you for your time

The overscan compensation slider always scaled the image, so it was guaranteed to make your screen blurry. The new configuration settings give you much more flexibility so that you can choose between making your screen blurry but keeping the same desktop resolution in pixels, shrinking your desktop size so you still get a one-to-one mapping of desktop pixels to screen pixels, or some combination of both. You can also adjust the overscan compensation separately for each edge to exactly position the image where it needs to be.

I apologize that the nvidia-settings changes to make it easy to configure overscan compensation metamodes through the GUI was not ready in time for this change. We’re working on that.

The old overscan compensation option subtracted pixels from ViewPortOut while keeping the viewport centered. So a setting of 92 would shave 46 pixels off of each side of ViewPortOut. In your case, that would be

Option "MetaModes" "DFP-1: 1280x720 { ViewPortOut=1188x628+46+46, ViewPortIn=1280x720 }"

If you want the non-blurry shrunken desktop version of that, just drop the ViewPortIn assignment:

Option "MetaModes" "DFP-1: 1280x720 { ViewPortOut=1188x628+46+46 }"

The driver will implicitly choose a ViewPortIn of 1188x628 in that case.

No need to apologize if this way makes the screen better that’s fine and if you guys plan on getting it setup in the GUI that’s a plus :). The line you gave me worked perfectly just had to modify a tad bit but I am now on my way. I now understand it better as well for any future events. So thank you for your help and time.

Excellent, I’m glad to hear it’s working for you.